in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-18-2012 3:02 AM by mrwalker. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-30-2011 6:02 PM

MacBook Pro to BeoLab 8002

Hi

I recently acquired a pair of BeoLab 8002 speakers and I wish to connect them directly to a MacBook Pro computer that serves as a music/tv/media computer. There are two things I'm uncertain of that I'd be very thankful for getting help with :)

First, is the internal soundcard in the MacBook Pro good enough for these speakers (via the mini jack output) or should I get a professional USB soundcard that gets digital output from the computer and sends analog to the speakers?

Second, If I just use the internal soundcard what is the best way to connect the computer to the speaker?

SETUP 1:

I've already got a Male DIN5 to Male Mini Jack like this: http://soundsheavenly.co.uk/ipod.jpg

and a 2 X Female DIN7, 1 X Male DIN7 splitter like this: http://soundsheavenly.co.uk/bando-pl2y.jpg

And i've connected those two together, and then the Male to one 8002 speaker and a Male-Male DIN8 to the other speaker and the last Female DIN7. The problem with this is two-fold. Both speakers are only picking up the left audio signal and also there's major hum or buzz sound at all times.  

SETUP 2:

What I'm thinking about getting instead are these cables: http://soundsheavenly.co.uk/bando-lab3.jpg (http://soundsheavenly.co.uk/bando-ipodtolab.htm). So that's Mini Jack to two PowerLink wires that hook up to both speakers (I'm assuming one is wired with left signal and the other wire has the right signal). I'm sure this will fix the left/right signal issues I'm having with SETUP 1 but I'm wondering if there will still be the humming sound and also if the sound quality will be good enough.

Do you guys have any recommendations or tips for me in this regard? I've tried searching the forum but haven't found any post that answers my questions.. :) Thanks in advance for any help!

• 12-30-2011 10:17 PM In reply to

• stefan
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • 200 miles from Struer
    • Posts 1,733
    • Founder

Re: MacBook Pro to BeoLab 8002

Welcome to Beoworld.

Why not use the RCA line in on  your BL8000s?

Just take a 3.5mm stereo plug to 2x RCA cable.

And I highly recommend an external sound card, as the line out of the Mac sounds awful....

Search also 'BL8000 RCA' .

Hope this helps.

Stefan

• 12-30-2011 10:21 PM In reply to

Several half answers I am afraid, once Europe wakes up I am sure there will be more.

1/ many frequenters of the forum recommend acquiring an external DAC (Cambridge is usually mentioned) to (a) get away from motherboatrd etc interference and (b) employ a superior DAC.

2/ I was not familar with the 8002's connections so I checked B&O's Technical Specifications:

CONNECTION(S) 1 x Power Link

unlike the older speakers that supported line-in or powerlink, and usually had a switch that was either set to LINE or for powerlink mode Left or Right.

Without an L/R switch you are going to have to run separate cables from separate sources - the Y-cable is not the solution. 

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 12-31-2011 6:09 AM In reply to

• stefan
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • 200 miles from Struer
    • Posts 1,733
    • Founder

Ok. I see. There are two reasons why you don't use the Line in plugs:

1 - there are no line in

2 - you have no BL8000s. I didn't know that 8002s have no line plugs...sorry.

So you will need a 5V signal to power up your BLs via powerlink.

Irecommend an MCL 2AV - extra active speaker kit. Can be used standalone with three inputs controlled by a Beo rcu.

Stefan

• 12-31-2011 12:51 PM In reply to

You don't need the 5V or an extra active speakerkit. The 8002 will go active as soon as a line signal is detected. The switch has to be on "line", and not "L" or "R". You do need a prepared cable though.

• 01-01-2012 5:21 PM In reply to

Thank you so much for all your answers and help :)

I have concluded that I definitely need a DAC, and I see that the budget DacMagic from Cambridge Audio is getting great reviews.

I wish to pick that one up, but what I'm left wondering is how do I control the volume? As I understand it the digital output cannot be volume controlled from the MacBook Pro and the DacMagic offers no volume control, so do I have to get another DAC that includes volume control?

Once I get a DAC, as I understand it I need 2 X RCA to DIN 7 to connect each speaker to the DAC. I'm guessing that the RCA has to be connected to both left line and ground on the DIN 7 and then switch the speakers to "Line". Do you guys agree with that? :)

Best,

Palli

• 01-07-2012 6:58 PM In reply to

As mentioned in another thread, I use a Beresford Caiman DAC between my MacBook Pro & Beolab 3s. This DAC has a volume knob & pre-amp out. You'll need different cables from the DAC to the speakers. I suspect Sounds Heavanly will be the place to go for those.

• 01-08-2012 2:08 PM In reply to

I want the Caiman but it's a bit of a dealbreaker for me that there's no remote... I'm considering the Matrix "mini-i" Balanced DAC, http://tamaudio.com/store/index.php?route=product%2Fproduct&product_id=55

• 01-10-2012 3:34 AM In reply to

I'd love to know whether the Mac's volume setting adjusts the digital volume level of the Matrix DAC. Might be worth the upgrade for me if it does. 

• 01-18-2012 3:02 AM In reply to

The volume on the Wavelength Audio DAC is controlled via the system volume using USB. It's considerably more expensive at $900 USD.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)