in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-12-2012 2:13 PM by Carolpa. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-29-2011 3:05 PM

Beosound 5 Encore and LG N1A1 NAS

Hi, as the proud owner of a new BS5 Encore (and 8000 speakers) I'm having a great time playing with the unit and trying everything out. However (there's always a "however" isn't there?), trying to connect to my LG NAS N1A1 is proving problematic. The BS5 "sees" the LG NAS but can't access the music files in Shared/Multimedia/Music - which is where I understand DLNA expects the music files to be. I have a suspicion that the NAS requires a username and password to log into it - if I try to access the above folder from a Windows laptop I have to enter the username and password. My understanding was that by putting the music in Shared/Multimedia/Music I would bypass this login issue. Anyone got any any tips or ideas on how i might crack this?

Many thanks 

Pat

• 10-29-2011 11:27 PM In reply to

• hfat
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-18-2010
    • Austria
    • Posts 176
    • Gold Member

Re: Beosound 5 Encore and LG N1A1 NAS

Hi,

Did you activate the multimedia services on your NAS? BS3 connects to a DLNA server not to a folder as you do from your laptop.

hfat

• 10-30-2011 4:58 AM In reply to

Hi,

Yes, I've enabled DLNA on the LG-NAS. When I spoke to tech support at LG the chap mentioned that I should use Share/Multimedia/Music because that's where DLNA expected the files to be - apparently it's the same on the PS3. So I'm fairly confident that the LG-NAS is broadcasting as a DLNA server.

Thanks

Pat

• 10-30-2011 2:37 PM In reply to

• hfat
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-18-2010
    • Austria
    • Posts 176
    • Gold Member

If you have a Windows 7 PC, you could check using Windows Explorer/Media Player. It should discover the DLNA server on the LG NAS.

hfat

• 11-14-2011 5:55 AM In reply to

Yep, definitely shows uo under Media Player - which suggests the problem is with the B&O. 

• 11-14-2011 7:03 AM In reply to

• StUrrock
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-04-2008
    • Cambridgeshire
    • Posts 219
    • Bronze Member

Hi

Did your dealer try to help you?

• 11-14-2011 8:21 AM In reply to

Yep, he sent his network guy out - to no avail unfortunately. I've actually ordered another NAS - A QNAP - so I'll have a go with that. Thanks.

• 11-19-2011 4:19 AM In reply to

Now received the QNAP TS-201, set it up as RAID1, moved music files onto it and BINGO! The BS5 Encore sees it and plays the music. The TS-201 does have bulit-in Twonky Media Server though and that seems to being doing the work rather than it being seen via DLNA. Never mind - I can stream music to the B&O and that's what matters.

Thanks for the suggestions - appreciated.

• 11-19-2011 7:16 AM In reply to

• symmes
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-21-2007
    • Freedonia
    • Posts 290
    • Bronze Member

pathatchelt:

Now received the QNAP TS-201, set it up as RAID1, moved music files onto it and BINGO! The BS5 Encore sees it and plays the music. The TS-201 does have bulit-in Twonky Media Server though and that seems to being doing the work rather than it being seen via DLNA. Never mind - I can stream music to the B&O and that's what matters.

Thanks for the suggestions - appreciated.

I was told adding Townky Media Server is the key to getting any NAS to work reliably with Encore.  Anyone know how to do that.....Carolpa, are you out there?

• 11-19-2011 9:27 AM In reply to

strickly speaking other sw also works with the BS5e; f.e. the Windows Media Player, iTunes, Plex and XBMC.

I have Twonky installed on my NAS because the DLNA server of the NAS didn't always displayed covers.

How to install Twonky on your NAS. this depends strongly on your NAS. For some type Synology/Netgear/QNAP you can download a package to install (see forums, sites). This is handled directly through the setup sw of the NAS.

For others it is directly installing on the NAS using SSH or Putty (on respectively Mac or PC). Because most NAS's work on Linux, some knowlegde of Linux is adviced and also the courage to do it.

for Twonky-NAS software see: http://www.twonkyforum.com/downloads/6.0.37/

TIP: do you have an old PC:  install Ubuntu on it (it's for free) and install Twonky (it's licenced thus not for free), add additional storage and you have a smooth running NAS 

• 11-19-2011 10:48 AM In reply to

• symmes
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-21-2007
    • Freedonia
    • Posts 290
    • Bronze Member

@ Carolpa, 

Thanks for that insight.  ++++  You answered several questions at once.  

Ray

• 01-12-2012 12:35 PM In reply to

Does anyone know if the Beosound needs the files in a specific location on the NAS? My QNAP is visible to my PS3 but not my Beosound. I've gone through the steps of trying to add the Twonkyserver as media storage but the Beosound cant find it.

• 01-12-2012 2:13 PM In reply to

If the Media Server / Upnp / Dlna is switched on the Qnap, than the location of your media files do not matter for the BS5e. But notice that the server on your NAS must know where you have placed the files / it must know where to find the files.

Try <your NAS IP address>:9000/config in your browser (if you have enabled the server). Qnap uses Twonky, this is the address to the server (note there is a slight change it is blocked though).

Here you can adjust the settings of the server

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)