in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 12-10-2011 2:13 PM by MariaStereo. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-14-2010 6:53 AM

Beocenter 9000 - plastic cap (cd clamper) cracked - Does anyone know how to solve?

Hello,

Yesterday I updated my newly started B&O collection with purchasing a BeoCenter 9000 with BeoVox 3000 speaker. Looks good in the living room Smile

Anyway, the plastic cd clamper (with a spring wrapped around it) has cracked. It still holds the cd´s but I want to get it fixed.

I am thinking about removing it and clue the crack, is that a bad idea? Is it possible just to lift it straight up without damaging is fixation to the axis?

The best would be to get a part without a crack, does anyone have one to spare (PN 3164690)?

Or perhaps the alternative magnetic cd clamper (PN 3152703)?

Anyone know of another way to solve this?

Thank you in advance!

Filed under:
  • 01-15-2010 12:13 PM In reply to

Re: Beocenter 9000 - plastic cap (cd clamper) cracked - Does anyone know how to solve?

Many 9000's have been consigned to the scrap heap because of this very fault. The magnetic clamp supplied by B&O is as rare as hens teeth.

The plastic cap is likely to break up as you lift it off the shaft and you are unlikely to be able to glue it. By all means try, there is always a first time!

My advice would be to send the 9000 back whence it came unless you want a pretty cassette radio.

Regards Graham

• 01-15-2010 2:08 PM In reply to

Re: Beocenter 9000 - plastic cap (cd clamper) cracked - Does anyone know how to solve?

Thank you for your reply. I´ve been in contact with B&O Workshops in Sweden, Denmark and Great Britain and this part seem really impossible to get. Unbelivable. Does anybody know how to get ahold of the drawing of it? I am really considering making an injection mold tool and start producing them! Smile

• 01-15-2010 3:26 PM In reply to

henrikdahlberg:
    I am really considering making an injection mold tool and start producing them! Smile

Even though I used a smiley I am serious about this. Perhaps anyone of you on this forum has a broken sample that they could lend me for the purpose of making a CAD model if the drawing also is impossible to obtain?? I do not want to take mine off since it is still working (the previous owner said that it used to fall off if he did not hold it down with his index finger while loading/removing the cds, but after the answer from Graham I do not really trust this and will leave it in.)

• 01-21-2010 7:49 AM In reply to

• yachadm
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-24-2007
    • Jerusalem, Israel
    • Posts 687
    • Bronze Member

I have repaired many broken plastic parts of vintage equipment. by using slow-set epoxy (much stronger then the fast-set), and layering overlaps on the broken part's cleaned sides, with 2 layers of thin cotton fibre for strength.

IE Plastic - epoxy - fibre - epoxy - fibre - epoxy.

It builds up the thickness, but it is very strong!

Menahem

Learn from the mistakes of others - you'll not live long enough to make them all yourself!

• 01-21-2010 8:42 AM In reply to

Thank you Menahem for your idea! I have been thinking in the same terms, first I was thinking of just adding an adhesive felt patch on the top of the clamper but I guess it would last longer if I use epoxy + fibre as you advised. Now I just have to wait until it really breaks (or until get an already broken part) as I do not want to risk damaging it as it still plays the cd´s Smile.

• 01-22-2010 5:32 PM In reply to

I've made a temporary clamper using a lightweight ferrite magnet for my BC9000,until I can sort out something more elegant!It works well,but won't win any prizes for style!! 

• 04-06-2010 4:10 AM In reply to

Hello,

This seems interesting, do you have any pictures of it?

With best regards

Henrik

• 12-10-2011 2:13 PM In reply to

Hi Henrick,

Just had my beocenter 9000 plastic clamper crack! Bummer for the holidays. I live in the San Francisco Area and wondered if you were ever able to find a fix other than the layered gluing approach.

Camille

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)