in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 12-16-2011 5:00 AM by tournedos. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-15-2011 7:58 PM

Beocenter 4600 or 9300

I have a 4600 with a pair of S-35's that was serviced before I bought it 2 years ago - and sounds lovely.  However I want to play MP3's though it and the tape input at the back doesn't seem to work (the sound quality is v poor, and only works when none of the front panel source selection buttons are depressed).  

Now that I know a little more about B&O, I'm faced with a choice.  Do I pay someone to put a separate line into my 4600, and possibly upgrade to a pair of S-45.2 or would I be better going with something like a Beocentre 9300 or BeoMaster 4500 and some RedLine speakers in terms of sound quality?  Am I likely to notice a huge difference in the quality?

Also, if I wanted to get a Beocentre 9300 or BeoMaster 4500 serviced (all the capacitors replaced), how much roughly would I be looking at?

Happy to hear your suggestions of other systems, but all I really want to do now is play MP3's (the only reason I like the 9300 or 9500 is that they look very very cool, but the 9300's are generally cheaper but I understand they sound the same).

Thanks

• 12-16-2011 5:00 AM In reply to

Re: Beocenter 4600 or 9300

zuiderzee:
    I have a 4600 with a pair of S-35's that was serviced before I bought it 2 years ago - and sounds lovely.  However I want to play MP3's though it and the tape input at the back doesn't seem to work (the sound quality is v poor, and only works when none of the front panel source selection buttons are depressed).  

I suppose you're aware that the right way to use the external tape input is to switch the built-in deck off (button up) and the TAPE button down? I'm willing to bet you are just using the wrong kind of adapter cable (see for example this thread).

The 4600 has an excellent amplifier, and with a pair of 45-2s, I'm sure the combination would sound better than the BC9x00 with almost any choice of passive speakers.

Get / build a correct input cable first and try with the kit you have now, I believe you'll be pleasantly surprised. S35s aren't bad at all either.

-mika

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)