in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 12-06-2011 5:52 PM by RobN. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-12-2009 4:19 AM

• RobN
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-15-2007
    • London, UK
    • Posts 57
    • Gold Member

Apple TV on Avant works (after "spoof")

Dear All,

My dear wife bought me an AppleTV for my birthday Smile However, on checking its compatibility with my Avant RF32 DVD (late model) I was saddened to find the AppleTV only outputs were component video (RGB) and HDMI and the Avant only has inputs for Co-ax 75ohm, SCART & S-VHS (the latter two being composite video) Sad However I have got it working perfectly and thought folk on this forum my find this useful.

If you don't know component video and composite video are very different, despite using similar phono type cables. Component uses three cables for the picture (Red, Green & Blue) plus two more for audio (usually Red & White); composite uses one cable (usually Yellow) for the picture plus two more for the audio (usually Red & White). This difference in the way the picture is encoded is very different, but you can make it work! This is how:)

1. Use the SCART V-AUX input on the B&O Avant and connect a Scart to composite adapter (has Scart on one side and three phono sockets on other (Left & Right Audio & Video)

2. Enable the V-AUX input on the Avant via the set-up menu using your BEO4 and create the V-AUX menu item on the BEO4

3. Connect the three cables between the Scart to Composite adapter on the Avant to the Apple TV matching the two audio channels (Red & White) and putting the (Composite) video cable into the Green socket on the Apple TV.

4. Select V-AUX and you'll now have great sound, but a black and white picture. Now for the spoof...

5. On the AppleTV set the resolution to 480i

6. Now move up one item to 480p, but do not press the select button yet.

7. Unplug the video cable (in the Green socket) and plug in a (previously bought) HDMI to DVI adapter (£9.99) with a DVI to VGA adapter on the end (I got the latter with my Mac Mini) You must have both of these connected to work the spoof.

8. Now press select on AppleTV remote (selecting 480p)

9. Count to 5 slowly

10. Unplug the adapter and plug the composite cable back into the Green socket

11. Wait a few seconds and hey presto colour picture.

This works perfectly and if you have a power cut, you will need to repeat the above.

Now you can enjoy all your music, pictures and movies on your Mac-mini or iMac on your Avant via the AppleTV Big Smile

Hope this helps.

Best,

Rob

BV7-32, BL8000, BL2, BL6000, Humax, AppleTV3, MX4200, V8000, Humax, BS3200, BL6000, BL4000, BeoPort, MacMini+DACmagic 

• 04-13-2009 8:14 AM In reply to

Re: Apple TV on Avant works (after "spoof")

wow, just amazing how you arrived at that  "spoof"

and I was about to splash out on a Converter Box

4th item down  £71.91 ex vat  Model Ref: JP-COMPONENT2RGB

http://www.threedoubleyou.com/otherconverters.htm

COMPONENT TO SCART RGB CONVERTER FOR APPLE TV, GAMES CONSOLES ETC.

• 04-15-2009 6:04 PM In reply to

• RobN
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-15-2007
    • London, UK
    • Posts 57
    • Gold Member

Hi Ouverture,

Glad to have save you some money Smile

I have to admit I found the "spoof" on the net from a very good site called appletvhacks. Well worth a visit http://www.appletvhacks.net/ 

Best

Rob

BV7-32, BL8000, BL2, BL6000, Humax, AppleTV3, MX4200, V8000, Humax, BS3200, BL6000, BL4000, BeoPort, MacMini+DACmagic 

• 11-27-2011 6:23 PM In reply to

Dear Rob,

Thank you, but how does that work with an appletv2 which only has an hdmi output?

I woiuld appreciate to lear how I can link the atv2 to my MX8000.

Thank you very much in advance,

Wim

• 11-29-2011 4:13 AM In reply to

• js
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-07-2007
    • Brussels
    • Posts 208
    • Silver Member

wvanbog:

how does that work with an appletv2 which only has an hdmi output?

I woiuld appreciate to lear how I can link the atv2 to my MX8000. 

Same question here.

Many thanks in advance for any advice.

js

• 11-29-2011 8:36 AM In reply to

I found a solution to this problem with a simple converter and ATV black works well on my Avant DVD.  It is covered in a thread entitled

"Re: ATV Black - Avant, simple question "

as below:

Thank you so much everyone for the great input and ideas.  The converter I mentioned in my original post did not work as i had not realised there were different types of Scart socket for one reason....stupid!.  I did try and find an equivelant to the converter mentioned by Rauber above but they all appeared to be around £160 in the places i looked in the UK.

I then contacted the company (Deluxe Cable) on the link above and they shipped one to the uk for me in just a couple of days, 54.75 Euros plus 16 euros carriage.  They were very helpful and replied incredibly quickly to any of my questions, great service.

It arrived today and as soon as i connected it to my apple tv black it worked straight away.  brilliant to finally have ATV on my avant. So thank you very much to everyone for their help and to Rauber for finding this solution for me.  Beoworld works another friendly miracle.  Thank you.

• 12-03-2011 2:06 AM In reply to

RobN:
    Well worth a visit http://www.appletvhacks.net/ 

Thanks for that link ... and amusingly today's front page had this B&O friendly image Laughing

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 12-06-2011 5:52 PM In reply to

• RobN
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-15-2007
    • London, UK
    • Posts 57
    • Gold Member

That's great news that the ATV2 can work with our beloved Avants Smile

Best,

Rob

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)