in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 12-14-2011 5:50 PM by Mikkel Petersen. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-05-2011 11:19 AM

• stevo4
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 82
    • Bronze Member

Beolab 4000 & Mac & Bluetooth

Hi all, 

Didn't see this in the search section.

I've been out of touch with the B&O community for about 3 years + now since i put all my gear in storage (heaven forbid!) when i moved into my now ex-girlfriend's place who had to little energetic boys and couldn't take a chance of getting my stuff trashed. 

My question is:

I'm now living in a little guest house and it doesn't really make sense for me to set up my BS4 and 4000's in this small space.  I was wondering, are there any viable ways of maybe using blue tooth or other wireless set up with my macbook pro and the Beolab 4000s.  I don't know if B&O have come out with little devices to connect the speakers WITHOUT using my BS4 or other larger system. 

Audioengine makes a pretty nice set of powered, bookshelf speakers (A5) that are set up to use the airport express so i can transmit my Itunes music directly to the speakers with little trouble.  I just don't want to set up my BS4 at this time and was hoping i could get away with just the speakers and something small that would connect the mac to them. 

http://audioengineusa.com/Store/Audioengine-5#overview

I'm guessing the answer is no, but wanted to ask the experts here. 

Thanks!

Stevo

• 10-05-2011 12:00 PM In reply to

Re: Beolab 4000 & Mac & Bluetooth

I think you need one of these :-)

Apple Airport Express

Elsewhere on the forums you will find recommendations to insert a Cambridge DAC between the AAE and your BeoLab 4000s, but for now just start with the AAE !

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 10-05-2011 12:24 PM In reply to

• stevo4
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 82
    • Bronze Member

Thanks for the response.  I DO have an express and used one before i boxed up my gear and it worked wonderfully. 

But i am looking for ways to get the speakers to work directly with my laptop (itunes) and not having the BS4 in the picture.  Either i need some thing to attach to the speaker that will 'talk' with the laptop directly, or have the dedicated speaker cables (din type) plugging into something so they will receive the music.  

Thank you!

• 10-05-2011 3:16 PM In reply to

stevo4:
    But i am looking for ways to get the speakers to work directly with my laptop (itunes) and not having the BS4 in the picture.  Either i need some thing to attach to the speaker that will 'talk' with the laptop directly, or have the dedicated speaker cables (din type) plugging into something so they will receive the music.  

excellent that you do have an Express !

all you need is a powerlink cable from the 4000s direct to the Express; no need for the BS4 at all !

I quote from the BeoLab 4000 User Guide:

Connection to non-Bang & Olufsen systems

Use a special adapter with an ordinary phono/RCA plug in one end, and a DIN­plug in the other (‘Cable for line signal’ – optional accessory, available from your Bang & Olufsen retailer).

Set the switch to LINE.

Or order the cable from Steve at Sounds Heavenly; see his advert at the bottom of the page

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 10-05-2011 7:48 PM In reply to

• stevo4
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 82
    • Bronze Member

That's great news. I'll look into it!

Thank you.

• 10-17-2011 6:15 PM In reply to

• stevo4
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 82
    • Bronze Member

Okay! Got it to work! Nice to have some B&O back into my life again.  Question: I am playing my music through Itunes. When i first plugged the speaker/AE into the wall, i was blasted with full volume from the speakers. The Itunes volume control seems to be one of three settings. Silent, reasonable volume, and Full blast.  The slider really doesn't slide the volume as it were.  Any work-arounds for this (the Master volume does nothing). 

Thanks!

• 10-18-2011 6:30 AM In reply to

stevo4:
    The Itunes volume control seems to be one of three settings. Silent, reasonable volume, and Full blast.  The slider really doesn't slide the volume as it were.

I have not experienced that particular problem

• 10-19-2011 3:19 PM In reply to

• stevo4
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 82
    • Bronze Member

Someone suggested that because its a 'line' connection, its processed differently than if you were plugged into the headphone jack, etc. So, the line is at full volume. I think i agree with the comment based on passed experiences. I guess i need to find a small volume control/potentiometer device to place between the ae and the speakers. 

• 12-14-2011 5:50 PM In reply to

Don't know if you ever got a definite solution, but I have a client who I do a lot of networking, pc, printer etc. related work for.

Around his entire house he has BeoLab 4 PC's fitted to the ceiling, with each pair being connected directly to it's own Airport Express in the attic.

We haven't tested it with a Mac, both from iPhone and iPad using AirTunes, he can adjust the colume with the slider, works brilliantly.

Now, I do not know if there's anything special about the 4 PC's? But I do not think so?

Current setup:
    Bedroom: BeoVision 6-26 Mk2
    Livingroom: Medion 40", PS3, Samsung (Yousee branded) PVR
    Kitchen: Yamaha micro component setup with DVD, stock Yamaha speakers and iPad

Plans for the future:
    Bedroom: BeoVision 6-26 Mk2
    Livingroom: BeoVision 7-55 w. DVB-HD & Blu-Ray BeoLab 7-4, BeoLab 5 Front, BeoLab 4000 Mk2 rear, BeoCenter 2,  PS3, Samsung PVR, Sony BDP-CX7000ES 400 Disc Blu-Ray Changer
    Kitchen: Beosound 5

Ambitious I know:-)

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)