in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 11-30-2011 7:11 AM by Teddy_fr. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-28-2011 7:10 PM

• Teddy_fr
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • near Angoulême, France
    • Posts 250
    • Founder

B&O Studiomonitor type 6257

Hello all B&O vintage fans!

I am fascinated by the B&O vintage products and I collect them since more than 30 years. During a trip in Denmark to visit the B&O Museum in Struer, I found, in Ringsted, a pair of these beautiful speakers with their stands. They were used at "Danmarks Radio" during the late 70's early 80's.

Their size is identical to that of the Beovox 5700 with an extra black box underneath which contains a professionnal amplifier fitted with xlr sockets. A protection circuitry allows the speakers to be connected with more powerful external amplifiers.

In front of, a small red light indicates that it is on. I would estimate the power, in comparaison to other B&O amplifiers and Beovox 5700, at a good 75 - 100W.

The midrange dome and the tweeter are the same than those of a 5700 but the boomer is a 31 cm (12").

Subjectively speaking, their sound is different enough than the Beovox 5700. It is more natural and less "hifi", like if you switch off a loudness.
    The frequency response seems to be very linear; for example all the notes of a grand piano seem to have the same level without these unpleasant resonances that is the defect of many speakers.
    I only have a few photos because my son found them so good that he took them away to his new apartment for mixing all his recordings (He plays music in a rock / hip-hop band).

I have planned to make a detailed review of these Studiomonitors with plenty of new photos during a next visit at my son, who lives in Nancy nowadays then this will be after Christmas... See you soon!

Marc

• 11-29-2011 6:11 AM In reply to

Re: B&O Studiomonitor type 6257

That's an interesting find! Nice to see them used for pretty much their original purpose as well Yes -  thumbs up

All those stickers might be interesting to see. The amps might even be DR's own design, small series stuff like that was sometimes built in-house at broadcasting companies back in those days. I suppose there's a trimmer for level calibration behind that "styrke" label, as it seems one of the screws has been sealed.

-mika

• 11-29-2011 9:54 AM In reply to

That loks very interesting, would love to have those in my studio! The 12" bass drivers looks like SEAS with rubber membrane and your son is owning a Beomaster 2000 in rosewood, is he using it to drive (Yamaha?) monitors? Nicely equipped studio, though it looks like it could need a reel-to-reel recorder Smile

Being a student, I only use a Zoom R16 recorder into a computer with cubase 5 standard with some extra VST's, mintoring through my MS150.2's.

Beocenter 9300, Beogam CD50, Beocord 5500, Beomaster 3400, Beomaster 4400, 2 Beogram 4000, Beomaster 8000, 2 beogram 8002, Beovox S-75, Beovox MS150.2, Beovox RL6000, Beovox S-35, Beomaster 6000, 2 Beocord 9000, Beocord 8004, Beocord 5000, Form 1, 2x Beolink 1000, Beo4, MX3500, LS4500. Born 1993.

• 11-29-2011 10:36 AM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

I agree, very nice find.

B&O produced a couple of different speakers specifically (or modified) for Danmarks Radio.
    Definitely collectable !

I found type 6257 mentioned as Beovox 5702 here
    http://www.bang-olufsen.com/product-archive?ProductName=BeoVox%205702
    Note that they are different from the GB Beovox 5702 (Type 6251).

I am almost sure, that you will find the amplifier to be a homemade type rather than a B&O.
    Could be fun to look inside.

These particular speakers were listed for sale several times.
    Happy to know that they ended up by you.
    Yes -  thumbs up

Martin

• 11-30-2011 5:18 AM In reply to

• Teddy_fr
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • near Angoulême, France
    • Posts 250
    • Founder

tournedos:

That's an interesting find! Nice to see them used for pretty much their original purpose as well Yes -  thumbs up

All those stickers might be interesting to see. The amps might even be DR's own design, small series stuff like that was sometimes built in-house at broadcasting companies back in those days. I suppose there's a trimmer for level calibration behind that "styrke" label, as it seems one of the screws has been sealed.

Yes Mika, the "styrke" label hides a trimmer for level calibration.
    The amplifier is really a professional manufacture and doesn't seem to be designed by B&O... Big Smile
    I won't forget to take a pic inside when I will go to see my son, the lucky user of these beautiful machines.

Marc

• 11-30-2011 5:42 AM In reply to

• Teddy_fr
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • near Angoulême, France
    • Posts 250
    • Founder

Søren Hammer:

That loks very interesting, would love to have those in my studio! The 12" bass drivers looks like SEAS with rubber membrane and your son is owning a Beomaster 2000 in rosewood, is he using it to drive (Yamaha?) monitors? Nicely equipped studio, though it looks like it could need a reel-to-reel recorder Smile

Being a student, I only use a Zoom R16 recorder into a computer with cubase 5 standard with some extra VST's, mintoring through my MS150.2's.

Yes he uses a good Beomaster 2000 with his Yamaha NS10M. He took me for their connexion my dear Monster Cables M1 MKII  Geeked because he found that this setup gives a sound very sharp and precise in particular for the quality of the voices. 
    The NS10M are a famous standard in many recording studios and his are finished in Indian apple tree...
    He only has a Beocord 1600 reel to reel and uses it sometimes for the fun.
    He uses Samplitude and ProTools if I remember well.

Marc

• 11-30-2011 7:11 AM In reply to

• Teddy_fr
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • near Angoulême, France
    • Posts 250
    • Founder

Dillen:

I agree, very nice find.

B&O produced a couple of different speakers specifically (or modified) for Danmarks Radio.
    Definitely collectable !

I found type 6257 mentioned as Beovox 5702 here
    http://www.bang-olufsen.com/product-archive?ProductName=BeoVox%205702
    Note that they are different from the GB Beovox 5702 (Type 6251).

I am almost sure, that you will find the amplifier to be a homemade type rather than a B&O.
    Could be fun to look inside.

These particular speakers were listed for sale several times.
    Happy to know that they ended up by you.
    Yes -  thumbs up

Martin

Hi Martin,

Of course I won't forget to take a photo of the inside!
    What I remember is that it doesn't look like a B&O manufacture.
    The electronic board is made of epoxy glass, the tracks are thick and tin-plated, not as fragile as B&O where, when you remove a component if you doesn't take great great care you remove the copper track with!... Wink
    Almost all the components are of professional grade and this amplifier seems to be designed to last centuries!

Marc

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)