in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 11-15-2011 5:34 PM by KingOfSnake. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-15-2011 5:01 PM

Used Beolab 5's

Hi

I am looking at buying a set of used Beolab 5's.

I would like some advice from the experts on this forum regarding the following:-

1. Have these speakers had any upgrades, design/component changes over the last 9 years of production?

2. Do they need to be serviced?

3. Are there any things I should be looking for when it comes to buying second hand?

4.Do they have a useable lifespan?

Any advice would be welcome

Thanks

steve

Filed under:
  • 11-15-2011 5:34 PM In reply to

Re: Used Beolab 5's

1. Early ones were pre-pin and pretty sure a sw upgrade was required to use a sync cable, am sure I will be corrected if I am wrong.

2. No

3. Value for money, after-sales support and warranty

4. Not that I am aware of

Free-for-all advice (my favourite) - if viewing take off and rings or watches and run your hands all over the rims to feel for any indentations.  Check that the calibration microphone extends and retracts (hold you finger down for three-to four seconds on the top of each speaker).  Do the same with the speakers, your fingers never lie (if you still have them).

I sold a pair recently to a Dutch guy and set them up with a third party amp and sync cable.  His words were - when using the digital cables we supplied - that the sound difference was astonising.  Again his words not mine, but recommended that you use the digi input/output with Beocenter 2, Beosound 9000, Beomaster 5.

Hope this helps.

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)