in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 11-16-2011 12:41 AM by Stephan. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-14-2011 12:28 PM

• jahur
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-07-2011
    • planet zonk
    • Posts 161
    • Bronze Member

AXEL OR THE SOUNDSMITH? THE DEFINITIVE MMC4 QUESTION........

Hi all, its time for a MMC4 renewal. its either buy a beogram with the respective MMC4 cartridge or succumb to soundsmith or axel, what do you chaps/chapess'es recommend?

jahur.

(formerly nokinnikon from the old site)

• 11-14-2011 1:56 PM In reply to

• psand
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-05-2010
    • Stockholm, Sweden
    • Posts 48
    • Gold Member

Re: AXEL OR THE SOUNDSMITH? THE DEFINITIVE MMC4 QUESTION........

I can't compare, but I had the same problem two months ago and went with Axel (Schürholz, at Schallplattennadeln.de). I upgraded to a rebuilt MMC2 with a Shibata needle – and I'm extremely happy with my choice!

• 11-14-2011 2:46 PM In reply to

psand:

I can't compare, but I had the same problem two months ago and went with Axel (Schürholz, at Schallplattennadeln.de). I upgraded to a rebuilt MMC2 with a Shibata needle – and I'm extremely happy with my choice!

Axel refurbished an old B&O pickup for a friend of my fathers, he did an excellent job, and is a pleasure to deal with.

-Andreas

BLab5, BLab5000, BLab8000, BV10, BS9000, BS3, Beo5, Beo4, BLink1000, BLink5000, BLink7000, A2, A8, Form2

• 11-15-2011 1:42 PM In reply to

• Rich
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-10-2010
    • Orlando, Florida, USA
    • Posts 1,089
    • Gold Member

jahur:

Hi all, its time for a MMC4 renewal. its either buy a beogram with the respective MMC4 cartridge or succumb to soundsmith or axel, what do you chaps/chapess'es recommend?

jahur.

I have no idea where "planet zonk" is, but there is a third option.  I have a retipped MMC4 from Benny Amina of Atlanta, Georgia, USA that works very well.

Current primary listening:  SMMC20EN -> BG4002 -> BM4000 -> Beovox M70

• 11-15-2011 2:04 PM In reply to

• jahur
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-07-2011
    • planet zonk
    • Posts 161
    • Bronze Member

does'nt matter where it is, im more interested in the third option.

cheers.

(formerly nokinnikon from the old site)

• 11-15-2011 2:45 PM In reply to

In the past I used to order Sound-smith SMMC4 in batches of 6 but it all got very expensive when the £ went down the gurgler some years ago. Axel was a revelation as the £/Euro was reasonably stable and there were no import duties to pay. 

Axel has refurbished 40+ cartridges for me and does a wonderful job. Although he has recently registerd for the German equivalent of VAT (19%) so will have become more expensive lately for the private customer.

I have them refurbished  to as near as possible to their original specification. MMC4's get eliptical diamond on new aluminium cantilever and MMC2's get contact line diamond on sapphire cantilever.

Both sound at least as good as the original cartridges and I have never had a complaint from a customer.

Highly recommended.

Regards Graham

• 11-16-2011 12:41 AM In reply to

I got my MMC2 from Axel and I'm very happy with it. Delivered in 2 days, nice chat with him on the phone and the quality is stunning for a reasonable price... Give it a try, you will be happy. Best regards Stephan
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)