in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 11-09-2011 3:25 AM by jotaking. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-30-2008 7:10 PM

Beosystem 3 with non commercial panasonic screen

Hi everyone.

I am now the proud owner of a beosystem 3 (latest version) and full surround package which I purchased to go with my existing panny screen (TH-65PX600B). I was under the impression the B&O screens where also panasonic and assumed they would work together. I already had the screen before I realised I wanted the B&O system but couldn't stretch to the 65" BV4 at the same time. I understand the lack of control of the screen due to lack of RS232 on my panel but am willing to do without this until I can upgrade to a new B&O panel. 

After It was all connected but the picture quality whilst sharpish with good edge detail on on screen menus is lacking detail and looks a bit over saturated and contrasty. It is connected to sky HD and also PS3. The sky menus look blocky too which is not the case if it is connected directly to the screen 

The beosystem 3 is reporting the screen is 1280x720 when it is actually 1920x1080. It does however report the correct manufacturer. Also the screen reports that it is receiving a 720p signal.  As such it seems that the Beosystem 3 is downscaling 1080p material from the PS3 and passing through 720p material from sky but the picture looks different from direct connection of the sky hd to the panel and connection through beosystem 3, both at the same resolution.  I'm sure that it is affecting the overall quality of the picture.

I wondered if anyone had any ideas as to either forcing the beosystem 3 to output 1080p and ignore the connected screens resolution or alternatively any suggestions as to why the  screen is reporting or Beosystem 3 is getting the wrong resolution and also showing reduced overall picture quality.

Any help or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

• 08-05-2008 5:22 PM In reply to

Re: Beosystem 3 with non commercial panasonic screen

Well for the benefit of anyone else in the same position as I have been I have found a solution to my problem. Should anyone need assistance I would be happy to help and maybe save them some time and hassle.

• 08-08-2008 4:36 PM In reply to

• kallasr
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Willich, NRW, Germany
    • Posts 1,077
    • Founder

stereogeezer,

please let us know how you managed to set up everything!

Thanks

Ralf

My Beo: Beosound 3000, Beolab 4000, Beo 4 DVD,  Beolab 5000/Beomaster 5000, Beovox S45.2 with Stands, Beosystem 7000 black with Beolink 7000, Beolink 1000, F1000 (3 cubes), Beovox 5000, Beovox 3000, Attyca 1.

• 08-11-2008 4:09 PM In reply to

• Movie
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • Posts 90
    • Bronze Member

Hi stereogeezer

I am planning to get Beosystem 3 and a non commerical Panasonic screen - would realy like to hear about your setup.

Movie

• 08-12-2008 9:21 AM In reply to

Hi Ralf.

It seems that most people don't experience the same issue that  I have and BS3 normally selects the right resolution straight off. You can check what resolution it is running at in the customer service menu under screen information.

This process is only of use if BS3 is outputting the wrong resolution for your panel.

1, Press menu on Beo4

2, Highlight options and press red followed by go. This accesses customer service menu.

3, Select picture adjustments

4, Turn "monitor auto detect" to off. This means BS3 will not try to look for a resolution from the panel but should go to it's default of 1280x720. You may lose picture at this point. I did and promptly shat myself. I then learnt two things. Pressing a different source button then brought it back. If you add reset as a command to beo4, turn off BS3 and then press reset it takes BS3 back to it's default setting meaning you have an escape route if you select a wrong res or something else goes wrong.

5, Press menu on Beo4 and select options, connections and then at the bottom under screen 1 it should say non B&O.

Select this and  you then get several options including display resolution. (This setting makes no difference unless you follow step 2!)

6, Select your appropriate resolution from the list.

7, Set menu option  "keep setting" to yes and you are done.

If your screen goes blank after you select resolution but before you change "keep setting"option then BS3 does revert to previous option after 10 seconds or so.

I did have one further issue which caught me out for a short while. After sussing out the resolution thing I selected 1920x1080 as the resolution but got no picture. It turned out to be the DVI-HDMI cable I was using. It was a inexpensive non branded one that was 15m long. Whilst it worked at 1280x 720 it wouldn't do 1920x1080. I changed it for a qed HDMI-HDMI with a DVI-HDMI adaptor and then it all started working.

I finally set up the picture with a "Digital Video essentials" test disc. With standard settings the image was quite dark and a bit over saturated but after calibration it was much better. 

Please note that this is all information I have learnt by trial and error and it works with my system. I assume it would be the same for other panels but I can't be sure so anyone reading this should tread carefully as I can't offer any further info than is here already. Nor can I take resposibility if something goes wrong for someone else.

Hope this helps.

GeezeCool

• 08-12-2008 9:27 AM In reply to

Hi Movie.

Not much to say really. My system is as follows:

Beolab 5 fronts

Beolab 7.2 Centre

Beolab 3 surrounds

Beolab 3 Backs

Beosystem 3

PS3

Panasonic Vierra TH-65PX600B screen which I bought before I knew about the B&O stuff. I would prefer a Beovision 4 as it does have better picture quality IMHO from what I saw in the dealer but didn't want to stretch to it so soon after buying the panasonic and lose a pile of cash in the process.

The sound of the system is incredible and over all now it's all setup correctly I 'm chuffed with thi picture quality too.

GeezeBig Smile 

• 08-13-2008 6:24 PM In reply to

• Movie
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • Posts 90
    • Bronze Member

Hi stereogeezer

Thanks for getting back to us.

Your system must sound great I can only dream of that set up Beolab 5s  + Beolab 3s - any reason why you went for  7.2 center instead of 7.4

Movie

• 11-09-2011 3:25 AM In reply to

Hi Stereogeezer,

I am looking at moving over to B&O and was thinking of similar set up to yours. I have the same problem you had. I have just purchased a Philips 58" 21:9 3D TV and I don't want to go back to 16:9.

Would the system 3 work this tv okay?

And

Do you lose any functionality by using a non B&O monitor?

Does the remote work all sources and do you get any GUI on the tv?

Cheers

Steve

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)