in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 10-14-2011 8:52 AM by Vienna. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-11-2011 4:34 PM

• ronvw
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 10-11-2011
    • Posts 6
    • Bronze Member

Gapless play not supported by Beosound 5 Encore?

Hi all,

Since 2 months I own a Beosound 5 Encore.

First the good news about this piece of equipment (that you all know): it's very beautifully designed, works flawlessly from a hardware perspective, and the music quality is super (its even better than my old Beosound 9000 over BL 8000 speakers).  

However: I have encountered a series of issues that I wanted to start sharing with you, and here is the most serious one for which I have not been able to find a work-around yet:

=> The Beosound5 doesn't seem to support gapless playback  [:@

I have ripped & stored my CD collection (mainly classical and rock) to FLAC (via EAC). I noticed that the BS5 stops in between tracks (maybe to load/buffer the new track?). That means that one hears a truely awful break in between songs that are supposed to be connected and played as "one" song. One example is Marillion's Misplaced Childhood album, where e.g. "Pseudo silk kimono" and "Kayleigh" must be played gapless, but not so on the BS5...

I have tried all format options for the Rip like .WAV, .WMA; and also tried feeding the BS5 from the network (NAS) as well as directly from a USB stick but the result is the same: no gapless playback.

Playing the same files via MediaMonkey or Mediaplayer doesn't give any problems: the tracks are played gapless. So it must be the BS5 software.

How can this be? It would make the BS5 worthless for me, and I am sure for countless other music lovers. Does anyone know of a solution? I have read every post on this Forum and found several other posts, but they were mostly of older dates.

Thanks

Ron

• 10-12-2011 8:46 PM In reply to

• Vienna
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-15-2008
    • make an educated guess
    • Posts 712
    • Bronze Member

Re: Gapless play not supported by Beosound 5 Encore?

ronvw:

It would make the BS5 worthless for me, and I am sure for countless other music lovers.
    Does anyone know of a solution?

Unfortunately it seems there is no solution at the moment. Neither the BeoSound/BeoMaster 5
    combo, the BSd5 Encore nor the BeoPort/BeoPlayer support gapless playback.

This extremly unpleasant shortcoming gives me a VERY good reason to use my vinyl & cd player Big Smile

The only thing we can do is to send a lot of mails demanding for a solution to the B&O customer service.
    If nobody complains, they won't prioritise the issue on their to-do list ...  

• 10-13-2011 2:34 AM In reply to

• mbee
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • Paris, France
    • Posts 1,133
    • Bronze Member

Ok, now that's a big problem... I thought it was resolved for years, because for years BS5 users has been ccomplaining about that. It can't be said that the BS5 is "audiophile" or "plays the music the way the artist wanted it" if it doesn't supports hapless playback.

I was thinking of a BS5 as a Christmas present, now that's a deal breaker. I will not buy this as long as it's can't do hapless (what ANY mp3 player of the late 90's can do)

Come on B&O, if you keep doing this kind of things, we will not say anymore that B&O is just rebadged Philips... We will hear that it's rebadged Tokay!

• 10-13-2011 4:44 AM In reply to

• Vienna
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-15-2008
    • make an educated guess
    • Posts 712
    • Bronze Member

mbee:

I was thinking of a BS5 as a Christmas present, now that's a deal breaker.
    I will not buy this as long as it's can't do hapless (what ANY mp3 player of the late 90's can do)

Complainig in a forum is "nice" but won't help much solving the issue, sending a copy of your
    post via email to your dealer/ B&O customer service would be more efficient ...
    ...  Lightning  "it's a deal breaker" is exactly what marketing guys DON'T want to hear.

• 10-13-2011 6:26 AM In reply to

• ronvw
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 10-11-2011
    • Posts 6
    • Bronze Member

Vienna - I will follow your suggestion and send a message to Denmark. My dealer is of course very well aware of the issue already Wink I also strongly recommend everyone on this forum to do so.

In the meantime, I have found a work-around that is not an ideal solution, but at least allows me to listen to the album in a gapless way.

What I do is merging the individual FLAC files into one large FLAC. I use CueTools (www.cuetools.net) do this but I am sure there are other tools who can do the merge. I store the new FLAC (containing the full album) together with the individual files on the Mediaserver that feeds the BS5. Now I have the option to either play the album end-to-end, or play the individual tracks (with gaps) via the BS5.

Disadvantages with this method:

1) When playing the "Album FLAC" it is not possible to select tracks (PS: does anyone know if the Beo6 remote control allows one to fast-forward?)

2) Double storage space required (not a big issue in today's TeraByte disk world)

But at least I can enjoy the BS5 again! Smile

all the best

Ron    

• 10-13-2011 10:35 AM In reply to

• Stan
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 593
    • Gold Member

Vienna:

Unfortunately it seems there is no solution at the moment. Neither the BeoSound/BeoMaster 5
    combo, the BSd5 Encore nor the BeoPort/BeoPlayer support gapless playback.

Huh?...  My BS/BM5 combo must be special because it definitely plays gapless (with lossess WMA).

Stan

• 10-13-2011 11:20 AM In reply to

I also must have one of the special ones. My BS5/BM5 plays perfect gapless with lossless WMA.

I guess we are just lucky Stan.Big Smile

• 10-13-2011 3:25 PM In reply to

• ronvw
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 10-11-2011
    • Posts 6
    • Bronze Member

Could it be that the issue only exists for the BS5 Encore?

• 10-13-2011 3:54 PM In reply to

• mbee
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • Paris, France
    • Posts 1,133
    • Bronze Member

That's what the comments here seems to say. So after months (years?) of complaints, they added it to the BS5... And now, they release the Encore without it? Are they just thinking their customers are stupid? Hope not.

• 10-13-2011 5:51 PM In reply to

• Stan
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 593
    • Gold Member

Months (years?) of complaints?!?!  The BS5 has ALWAYS played gapless with lossless WMA.

I suppose that is probably what people are complaining about... why not gapless with other formats... or perhaps why not gapless on the BS5E...  but don't drag my BS5/BM5 into this - I didn't have to complain to get gapless - it was there from the beginning (so long as I took the time to encode into lossless WMA)

• 10-13-2011 7:04 PM In reply to

• Vienna
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-15-2008
    • make an educated guess
    • Posts 712
    • Bronze Member

Stan:

Huh?...  My BS/BM5 combo must be special because it definitely plays gapless (with lossess WMA).

The OP says the music collection has been ripped to FLAC lossless ... 

I admit matters have improved on the BM5/BS5 as a result of updates.
    BSd5/BM5 is playing gapless "most of the time", as long it's in WMA-losless format.

All my files are WMA lossless, partially encoded via BeoPlayer, partially using Windows Mediaplayer. 

Sometimes there are still some short dropouts / glitches / echoes during a change to the next track. 
    But in general the situation is vastly better compared to play the same files via BeoPort/BeoPlayer.

• 10-14-2011 5:56 AM In reply to

• ronvw
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 10-11-2011
    • Posts 6
    • Bronze Member

Stan - I started the post to get some information/help about the BeoSound 5 Encore not the BM5. But - if the problem does not exist on the BS5/BM5 combi, where is the difference? Lossless .WMA is not playing gapless on my BS5. Is the music software on the players different? Its a bit frustrating not to have the detailed spec of these machines (B&O shields that from clients).

• 10-14-2011 8:52 AM In reply to

• Vienna
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-15-2008
    • make an educated guess
    • Posts 712
    • Bronze Member

ronvw:
    Is the music software on the players different?

Very likely, the OS of BSd5/BM5 is WinXP-embedded and the OS of BSd5-Encore is Linux xxx.

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)