in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 09-17-2011 2:01 PM by stotty1111. 15 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (16 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-11-2011 2:47 PM

Portable Beolab 2000 - Wireless 1 Project

Hi all,

I thought you might be interested in a small DIY project I have undertaken on my Beolab 2000 to make it more of a portable speaker!

I have attached a carry handle and Beolink Wireless 1. Unfortunately I’m no metal worker, so I had to go with easily available materials and the tools I have.  I purchased 8X8mm aluminium rod and bent it into shape as best I could to form a sort of upside down “U” shape handle. I then attached this to the wall bracket of the Beolab by drilling and using tiny bolts. I then drilled a further hole right where the adjusting screw goes into the back of the speaker, so that I could put the wall bracket in place then screw through the hole to hold it on permanently. I did try the bracket and handle before drilling this last hole, but it was not safe as the whole lot would just drop off when you put it down.

The handle is bent in such a way that the wireless 1 sits between the uprights of the handle and the back if the speaker so is now part of the portable “system”. I have bent the handle so whilst it holds the Wireless 1 in place it also leans forward over the Beolab in order that it is not only centred from left & right but also from front & back. This means the centre of balance is as even as I can get and making the speaker easier to carry as it is not trying to tip forward as it would if attached to a wall.

I then set about arranging the cables and to make everything neater I have had a very short (30cm) Masterlink cable made by Sounds Heavenly and this fits neatly between the speaker and the Wireless 1. I then cut the power plug from the speaker cable to a length of about 40cm that allowed me to feed it into the cable void on the underside of the Wireless 1. I also cut the power cable of the Wireless 1 to a length of bout 8cm and then joined the two using “chocolate block” connectors, the other end of which I ran a single 1.5m power cable to a 3 pin UK plug.

So now I have a totally portable wireless speaker with 1 power cable that I use outside when we sit out but is just as neat in my computer room for the rest of the time. Being a Beolab 2000, the “system” has the advantage of not needing to use a remote control for general use.

Although I am really happy with the result, I wish I had a better ability to form the aluminium rod because although my handle is functional, it is not perfect and resting the Wireless 1 between the handle and the back of the Beolab has cause scratches on the Wireless 1. It was not a perfect specimen but I would have preferred not to cause even more damage.  My original design was for a much more elaborate handle which I shaped using  coat hanger wire, but once I began bending the aluminium I found I couldn’t get tight, neat angles as I could with the coat hanger wire so  I had to go for a more “freeform” look. 

I’ve waffled on a bit but thought you may be interested. I will put up some photos as soon as the short Masterlink cable arrives and is installed. The cable I’m using at the moment is a spare 5m cable so looks a mess.

Regards

Stoobie

• 09-11-2011 2:52 PM In reply to

• Daniel
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Svinarp, Sweden
    • Posts 1,284
    • Founder

Re: Beolab 2000 - Wireless 1 Project

Interesting! looking forward to see pics!

Beovision LX5500, BeoCord V6000, BeoSound 9000, BeoLab 8000, BeoLab 3500, BeoLab 2000, BeoVox1, BeoCom 6000, Form1, LightControl 1

• 09-12-2011 12:07 PM In reply to

Re: Portable Beolab 2000 - Wireless 1 Project

Hi,

The short Masterlink cable arrived today and is now fitted. take a look at this page to see the 6 photos I've taken. Wait for it to load & scroll down. You can hopefully see how neat it all looks and that there is now just the 1 loose power cable.

I hope you can see the photos OK and look forward to any comments/suggestions.

I had wondered about taking a look inside the Wireless 1 to see if is possible to cut it down in size and or reshape the case to fit better. But it doesn't look too bad as it is. Does anyone have the service maunual/schematics in case I go down that route?

Thanks

Stoobie

• 09-12-2011 1:47 PM In reply to

Congratulations on your creation. I love it when people add 1+1 and get more than two. You are very creative. What's interesting is that before this project you must have thought about many others. Fun...

• 09-12-2011 2:05 PM In reply to

B&O themselves should be doing something like that! Wireless link speakers have probably been on the wish list of many, but a portable one is a fun idea Yes -  thumbs up

Wonder how it would look if you placed the Wireless upright between the horns? Might be a little more compact, but if it is higher than the free space, it might just look silly...

-mika

• 09-12-2011 2:10 PM In reply to

• Daniel
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Svinarp, Sweden
    • Posts 1,284
    • Founder

Looking good! Good decision to take 2000 instead of 3500! :-)

Beovision LX5500, BeoCord V6000, BeoSound 9000, BeoLab 8000, BeoLab 3500, BeoLab 2000, BeoVox1, BeoCom 6000, Form1, LightControl 1

• 09-12-2011 2:22 PM In reply to

tournedos:

Wonder how it would look if you placed the Wireless upright between the horns? Might be a little more compact, but if it is higher than the free space, it might just look silly...

Hi tournedos

I hadn't though about that but with my initial design the Wireless 1 was supposed to sit right down resting on the top of the transformer/vented housing but I could not bend the aluminium to the necessary sharp right angle away from the back and then back up and over  to ensure the balance. It only sits that high up because that is the space that was left. Sad. I put it that way round because you can see the Bang & Olufsen logo central in the space!

I have placed it upright as you suggested so that it has the "top" (slim) face facing forward and it looks quite good, much more elegant and less "frumpy" so may have a tinker to see if I can make changes easily to secure it in place. (photo added to bottom of the 6 already on line).

Thanks for the suggestion - it always helps to have a second opinion.

Stoobie

• 09-12-2011 5:37 PM In reply to

• Yendys
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 100
    • Founder

Excellent concept you have successfully created.

BV10, AvantDVD, BS3000, BL8000, BL6000, BL4000, BL3500, BeoPorts, BC9300, BC7002, CX100s, C75s, Beo4s, BC6000s, LC2s, A9, A8s,

• 09-13-2011 12:43 AM In reply to

Beolab 2001: A Wireless Odyssey

My B&O: 2009 Catalogue and Pricelist

• 09-13-2011 8:05 AM In reply to

Very cool - it looks very original - I'm sure there would be a market - does it work well in the garden away from your house?

Beovision Avant 32 RF, DVD1, Beovision 1, MX4002, Beound 3000, Beolab Penta MKII, Beovox Penta, Beolit 707, Beolink Passive, Beovox C30, Beocom 4, Beogram TX, 4 x Beo4, Form 1 & 2, Beocenter 7700, Beovox S65,

• 09-13-2011 8:26 AM In reply to

ajames:

Very cool - it looks very original - I'm sure there would be a market - does it work well in the garden away from your house?

I use it about 40m away from the house and there are no issues at all. There is a power socket right there and everything works fine.

Stoobie

• 09-13-2011 8:37 AM In reply to

These work in the same ~2.4 GHz area as regular WiFi, so you should be able to stretch it pretty far in open space. Anything in between (walls, windows, even leafy bushes) will quickly shorten the range.

-mika

• 09-14-2011 3:59 PM In reply to

• stotty1111
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-16-2007
    • UK / France - Nth Worcestershire/Finistere
    • Posts 924
    • Gold Member

Tip for bending ali, put a coating of soft soap(any bathroom type) on the area to be bent/shaped then use a blow torch gently on the area - when the soap blackens stop heating allow to cool and bend when /if it work harden repeat the annealing process - finally burnish it to the reqd finish.

Used to work in the Technology Dept in a school, had to produce the bent front end for the kids to make junior hacksaws, it does work!!

I always try to operate using/following the KISS principle --  Keep it simple stupid!

• 09-14-2011 4:46 PM In reply to

• Beolab1
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-04-2007
    • Hong Kong
    • Posts 232
    • Gold Member

What a brilliant invention! I have two Beolab 2000's and really love them. It,s a shame that B&O stopped making them. For B&O standards it was a relatively low priced Beolink solution without having to buy a Beo4 as well. I will keep your solution in mind!!!

• 09-16-2011 2:10 PM In reply to

stotty1111:

Tip for bending ali, put a coating of soft soap(any bathroom type) on the area to be bent/shaped then use a blow torch gently on the area - when the soap blackens stop heating allow to cool and bend when /if it work harden repeat the annealing process - finally burnish it to the reqd finish.

Does that soften the metal and allow it to bend easier? I'll give that a go on some spare rod and see if I can get better angles etc.

Thanks for the tip.

Stoobie

• 09-17-2011 2:01 PM In reply to

• stotty1111
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-16-2007
    • UK / France - Nth Worcestershire/Finistere
    • Posts 924
    • Gold Member

yep tighter bends etc - as you bend fatigue(work hardening) occurs with possible crystalisation fracture, at thet point repeat the heat treatment and off you go again until hardening occurs - same with copper etc(tomatoe/cherry red)

Used the process on class m(marblehead) model yacht booms etc slightly more difficult with tube, need to fill and seal it with dry sand/straight, unfluxed solder etc - when bent to the correct profile simply run out the sand / gently heat to melt the solder and run it out!

I always try to operate using/following the KISS principle --  Keep it simple stupid!

Page 1 of 1 (16 items)