in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 09-11-2011 3:41 PM by Guy1680. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-20-2011 3:24 PM

• Guy1680
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-18-2007
    • Viborg, Denmark
    • Posts 104
    • Gold Member

Internet Radio over BeoCenter 9500/MCL System

Having recently moved from UK I want to add internet radio to my B&O setup.

I currently have BC9500 connected (via a 1611 converter) to Beovision 3 (type 8803) in the lounge, with an MCL connection to the kitchen/dining area. 

I initially considered the straightforward (cheap!) option of connecting a Revo Mondo to the spare Tape 2 input on the BC9500, and leaving it permanently switched on to Radio 2 (90% of our listening) such that it can be accessed remotely and with the BC9500 timer functions.

Having looked at various threads here I wondered if I could make use of Beomedia instead.  As I understand it a Beomedia 1 needs a N.RADIO compatible audiomaster, which I do not have.  The B&O config guide suggests that I could connect it to my BV3 (a Mk 1), but that the Beomedia would need its own remote sensor, hence could not be controlled from my link room.  However, when I play with the timer menu on my TV it lists N.RADIO and N.MUSIC as source options, which suggests that it is already N.RADIO compatible.  Could this mean that I will be able to access over MCL?

I think I will probably go with my initial option, but would welcome thoughts or comment - perhaps there's a far better way of doing this!

• 08-21-2011 6:55 AM In reply to

• stefan
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • 200 miles from Struer
    • Posts 1,733
    • Founder

Re: Internet Radio over BeoCenter 9500/MCL System

Maybe this is an interesting product for you:

http://shop.oneremote.dk/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=5_6&products_id=3060&osCsid=hu2a8rov9ho471ukh41c9geh22

It`s an DAB/Internet radio tuner and mediaplayer that can be connected to A.TAPE2 connection at your BC 9500 via a 7 pin DIN plug.

The tuner can be controled via datalink of your Beocenter in N.MUSIC (A.TAPE2) mode. Will also work through MCL from link rooms.

Even a timerplay in N.MUSIC mode should work. I just tested it with my BC 9500.

It`s a dansk product, so shipping won`t be expensive....

Stefan

• 08-21-2011 7:28 AM In reply to

• Guy1680
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-18-2007
    • Viborg, Denmark
    • Posts 104
    • Gold Member

Many thanks for this - very interesting!  I think I looked at this ages ago but had forgotten where to find it!

From reading the manual, I think that I'd be able to listen in link rooms but not fully control.  I'd also be able to stream music from my NAS. 

I will give it some thought and maybe place an order!  Thanks Stefan

Guy 

• 09-08-2011 5:13 AM In reply to

• Guy1680
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-18-2007
    • Viborg, Denmark
    • Posts 104
    • Gold Member

So the Internet Tuner arrived yesterday and was pretty straight forward to set up - I'm very impressed so far.  I'm operating it in indirect mode (i.e using the BC9500 to control it) so that I can turn it on and off from MCL remote rooms.  (It is difficult to use presets though - a limitation of datalink with numeric entry?)

I did have a few problems accessing the BBC internet radio stations - I had to find an alternative stream (AAC codec) and input as an 'Added Station'.  I think a few people have this problem with the BBC.

It works great as a Network Music Player streaming music from my QNAP - it found the Twonky Media Server straight away.  I havent used the built in FM tuner (no need) or the DAB tuner (not many stations in Denmark).

Anyway many thanks for the suggestion Stefan - an excellent way to bring an old system up to date!

Guy

• 09-09-2011 7:16 AM In reply to

• stefan
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • 200 miles from Struer
    • Posts 1,733
    • Founder

Glad that you are happy with the tuner and thanks for sharing your experience. Seems that other members are interested in this device...

Did you try a TIMER PLAY with your BC9500? I think this will be an interesting feature.

I brought my "old" BC9500 up to date connecting an apple ipod dock, modified by ridax in Göteborg. It`s possible to control an ipod with BL1000,5000,7000, Beo4/5/6 via the BC and from all connected link rooms.

I just had to add this, because otherwise a lot of members will miss the word "apple" in this thread....

Stefan

• 09-11-2011 3:41 PM In reply to

• Guy1680
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-18-2007
    • Viborg, Denmark
    • Posts 104
    • Gold Member

Yes it's great and works fine with the BC9500 timer to wake us up in the morning! 

I have it set up in 'Cable Link' mode so it is getting signals (incl remote) via my BC9500 hence also works from link rooms.  As identified in the instructions, there are some limitations trying to get it to recognise numeric entry via cable link which can be a problem with presets.  There seems to be a work around, and for internet radio presets 1-4, I can access by pressing each digit twice, i.e 2,2 for preset 2.  Very strange but works fine, but not for presets > 4, for some reason!

As for apple, only in my fruit bowl...

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)