in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 09-05-2011 2:49 PM by steve1989. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-04-2011 10:41 AM

beovox 3800 loudspeakers

hi all i am new to this site, but i have just inherited a set of B&O audio there are 2 beovox 1001 small speakers, 2 beovox 3800 loudspeakers, and a beomaster 4000, and a turntable, the beomaster 4000 dosent work and i havent a clue why there isnt any power going to the unit when switched on.

the main thing i wanted to no is if the beovox 3800 speakers can be wired to work on a sony bravia lcv tv ? and if so what connections will i have to use ?

thanks

steve

• 09-04-2011 11:37 AM In reply to

Re: beovox 3800 loudspeakers

If your TV has a amplifier build in no problem (RCA plugs), if it only has a sound line out you will have to connect them through an amp.

Your Beomaster is, when working, a fantastic amp. so repair it connect it to your TV and you will have sound from the TV that blows away anything that the TV speakers can bring.

The Beovoxes you will have to check for foamrot on the speaker drivers, and maybe change the electrolytic caps in the crossovers.

Depending on your location there is help to get nearly everywhere, if you cant do it yourself, all item also the TT is worth saving.

Which model is the TT

Beosound 3000, BL 4000, BL 8000, BG 2404,BG 5000, BG CD50, Beocord 5000, BM 901, BM 2400, BM 4000, BV S45, BV 3702. There is nothing we cannot do, but a lot of things we don't want to do!!

• 09-04-2011 12:07 PM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

Welcome to Beoworld !

Both the Beovox 1001 and 3800 are rare speakers. The 3800s were UK only.
    Søren is right about the foam rot, that you will generally see gone by now in many
    B&O speakers but none of these particular models uses foam surrounds.
    The 1001s have the old cardboard accordion type surrounds
    and the 3800 has some kind of very smooth plastic coated same.
    I've seen the edge on the 3800s losen from the metal basket at part of the circumference
    but it is a fairly easy task to glue the edge back.

I agree about the Beomaster 4000. One of the best sounding amplifiers ever.

Martin

• 09-04-2011 2:31 PM In reply to

ok thats good news then so it would be best to get the beomaster repaired and then how will i connect that up to my tv ? isit hard to do ? and also iv been reading on here about the beomaster always breaking once it is fixed, is that correct ? and i live in glouestershire and by bristol. i have the basics about speakers and amps as iv installed a few speaker systems into various cars but i dont want to go and ruin it completley as i dont no what im doing. its just you plug it in and nouthing happens is there any basic checks i can do ?

thanks for the help

• 09-04-2011 9:47 PM In reply to

To connect to your TV you will only need a cable from line out on your TV to Tape 1 or 2 on your BM probably RCA to 5 pin DIN.

You can get that from Steve at Sounds Heavenly, if you have an Ipod or another player get a cable to connect that one too, Steve will sell you the right one.

To check your speakers take of the front covers and inspect the drivers, as Martin explained check that the surrounds are glued to the metal basket. If you have a multimeter or a ohm meter, check resistance between the round and the flat peg on your speakers.

If your BM 4000 is repaired by a profesional it will not break down again, the main reason they brake down after repair is because the repairs are done by amateuers like me, we love repairing and after one repair we only wait for the next breakdown, and with entusiasm we take the item apart and "repair" again. Big Smile

If you dont know how to solder and if you dont know just a little bit about electronics, then dont do it yourself.

Use the search function on the forum, check for speaker repair, BM 4000 repair and so on, you will find a lot of information.

You can read about your BM 4000 here and nearly every other B&O made model here

Beosound 3000, BL 4000, BL 8000, BG 2404,BG 5000, BG CD50, Beocord 5000, BM 901, BM 2400, BM 4000, BV S45, BV 3702. There is nothing we cannot do, but a lot of things we don't want to do!!

• 09-05-2011 2:49 PM In reply to

ok iv had a look and i cant seem to find that much on places to take it to get repaired, id rather just find somewhere close and let them do it. do you no of anywhere around the bristol or gloucester area ? and thats good news about connecting it to the tv will all of the speakers just play as normal through the amp once it is plugged in  ?

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)