in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 08-27-2011 7:33 AM by DirtyDiana. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-26-2011 2:20 PM

9 to 5

Had the BL9 about a year and a half and have decided to search for a pair of BL5.I cant carry on knowing what B&O's finest effort have to offer.

The BL9 are fantastic but it doesnt seem such a big jump on the used market to own the best of the best!

Has anyone done the same move?

Cheers.

• 08-26-2011 3:01 PM In reply to

Re: 9 to 5

I went from 3's to 5's.

Beoworld's twenty-eighth ninth prize winner and fifty-first second prize winner. Best £30 I've ever spent!

• 08-26-2011 3:27 PM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

Strangely, these are very different speakers indeed in my opinion.

I liken the BeoLab 9 to a BMW 325i.  You know it has some power and it can handle itself perfectly well - so you don't really expect too much. You rarely need to thrash it - as it does everything very well indeed.  However, you don't thrash it because it's a 325i - you kind of respect its limits but are suitably impressed with its 6-Cylinder smoothness and grunt.

However, the BeoLab 5's are like an M3..   You get in and expect to be wowed from the very moment you turn the key, with blistering acceleration and a howling engine - but you're kind of disappointed initially.  It's better than the 325i, no doubt - but what's all the fuss about?

Then.. you floor it.      It just revs, and revs, and howls, and howls even louder - then the smile spreads across your face.  THIS is what it's all about.

This, gentlemen, is the BeoLab 5.  You don't realise what you've got until you press the pedal into the carpet, then it all becomes apparent what the fuss is about.

Lee

Smile

PS - BeoLab 5 owners will know what i'm talking about Wink

BeoWorld - Everything Bang & Olufsen

• 08-26-2011 3:48 PM In reply to

Is the retirement system in Europe still work much better than here in the USA?

Because everytime that I think about upgrading to BL5s invitably I think about how bad the Social Security is and how I will get doomed if I don't save huges ammounts of money for my retirement. So the inevitable question that I always end up asking to myself is: Do I need them or Do I just want them? Do I want to upgrade my speakers or do I want to upgrade my retirement?Big Smile

• 08-26-2011 4:22 PM In reply to

Nice analogy 9 Lee.

I like to thrash whatever I have,so its time for a bigger engine!Smile

• 08-26-2011 10:21 PM In reply to

• mjmedlo
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-07-2008
    • Arkansas, USA
    • Posts 384
    • Bronze Member

Yep!

Well said lee.

I'm ready for something new that I actually want to buy!

• 08-27-2011 4:02 AM In reply to

• Jez
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-13-2007
    • Posts 150
    • Bronze Member

Very nice analogy Lee,

I went from 9's to 5's and never looked back, the difference to me is mind blowing. I then put my 9's as rears and after about 6 months I thought what would 5's sound like as rears too. Well I got an offer for a pair of (one year old, not even broken in yet) second hand 5's, offer was to good to refuse. Can I just say that I now have no reason to ever leave my livingroom again! I thought as rears they would just be overkill but I was so so wrong, the detail is simply awesome. My brother came around for a demo, he now wants to turf his BL2 and BL8000's after hearing my set up. It constatly puts a smile on my face everytime I listen to stereo music or put a movie on.

If you can, why not?

Long live the BL5!

• 08-27-2011 7:33 AM In reply to

Jez:

Very nice analogy Lee,

I went from 9's to 5's and never looked back, the difference to me is mind blowing. I then put my 9's as rears and after about 6 months I thought what would 5's sound like as rears too. Well I got an offer for a pair of (one year old, not even broken in yet) second hand 5's, offer was to good to refuse. Can I just say that I now have no reason to ever leave my livingroom again! I thought as rears they would just be overkill but I was so so wrong, the detail is simply awesome. My brother came around for a demo, he now wants to turf his BL2 and BL8000's after hearing my set up. It constatly puts a smile on my face everytime I listen to stereo music or put a movie on.

If you can, why not?

Long live the BL5!

That must be an incredible experience!

Does anyone know how much shelf life the BL5 has,are we due another range topper anytime soon?

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)