in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 08-02-2011 11:24 AM by beocool. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-30-2011 8:44 AM

BL 9 class D amplifier ?

Does anybody know why they used class D for bass and AB for mid and treble ?

when your Black Label begin to taste like juice just take shot or two of Absinthe and after that quench with some vodka, if you still feel juice like take beer with grappa !

• 07-30-2011 9:13 AM In reply to

Re: BL 9 class D amplifier ?

Purely technical I think. Due to the operating principle, class D amps get increasingly difficult to implement when the required audio frequency range gets higher. Also, the main advantage of class D is power efficiency, and most of the power is required at the bass section. Therefore, using class D for the higher frequencies as well would add a lot of cost and technical difficulties with practically no benefits.

-mika

• 07-30-2011 10:26 AM In reply to

And it is essentially the same chassis as that of the Beolab 1 so it needed no big design costs.

• 07-30-2011 5:30 PM In reply to

tournedos:
    Therefore, using class D for the higher frequencies as well would add a lot of cost and technical difficulties with practically no benefits.

Interesting, what about 5's then ?

Is there any down sides with this setting D+AB ?

when your Black Label begin to taste like juice just take shot or two of Absinthe and after that quench with some vodka, if you still feel juice like take beer with grappa !

• 07-31-2011 5:46 AM In reply to

nmartin771:

tournedos:
    Therefore, using class D for the higher frequencies as well would add a lot of cost and technical difficulties with practically no benefits.

Interesting, what about 5's then ?

Even the mid and treble amps are much bigger in the 5s, so I believe it is already a question of practical implementation issues... if it needed two uncompromised quality 250W conventional amps in addition to what is already in there, I think you would need a fork truck to move them around, and the amount of generated heat would be too much.

nmartin771:
    Is there any down sides with this setting D+AB ?

None really. They are matched together and it's not an issue at the listener end Smile

-mika

• 07-31-2011 6:44 AM In reply to

• henrik
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Stockholm, Sweden
    • Posts 299
    • Founder

tournedos:
    Even the mid and treble amps are much bigger in the 5s, so I believe it is already a question of practical implementation issues...

And possibly also a matter of prestige in using their own ICE-technology in their TOTL speaker?

BTW, great thread and great answers from tournedos - many people seem to think that class D is better than AB in all aspects, which it isn't. It's better in some, worse in others.

• 08-01-2011 4:17 PM In reply to

henrik:
    And possibly also a matter of prestige in using their own ICE-technology in their TOTL speaker?

Interesting point ...

I'm not that technically educated, but can you go digital with mixed amplifiers ? D+AB

BL5 are all D and they have digital input.

• 08-01-2011 4:30 PM In reply to

• Style
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-01-2011
    • Posts 40
    • Bronze Member

There is no such thing as a digital amp. D in class D doesn't stand for digital. That notion is purely marketing. There has to be a DAC somewhere in the chain and there is no tech benefit of building it in in the speaker.

The main benefit of class D is effiency. AB is soundwise equivalent and even better when it comes to high frequencies.

The design choices in both bl5 and bl9 makes sense from a tech perspective.

• 08-01-2011 5:41 PM In reply to

Style:
    The main benefit of class D is effiency. AB is soundwise equivalent and even better when it comes to high frequencies.

hm ... Does it mean that class D mid's and high's in to BL5 are there for "purely marketing" reason ?

Or it is not "audiophile correct" to sell 18K speakers D+AB ?

• 08-02-2011 10:58 AM In reply to

• Style
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-01-2011
    • Posts 40
    • Bronze Member

I think the Ds are there because 250 watt AB would weigh a ton and you would need cooling the size of a fridge, ie they are their because they are efficient
  • 08-02-2011 11:24 AM In reply to

Style:
    I think the Ds are there because 250 watt AB would weigh a ton and you would need cooling the size of a fridge, ie they are their because they are efficient

My thoughts exactly.

Beoworld's twenty-eighth ninth prize winner and fifty-first second prize winner. Best £30 I've ever spent!

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)