in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 07-10-2011 1:39 AM by folkdeejay. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-08-2011 9:25 AM

Whether to unplug or to leave TV on stand-by?

To avoid entering the PIN each time the TV is plugged in, I guess most of you leave the TV in the stand-by position?

In the event of a thunderstorm and the TV being in the stand-by position, it is surely at some risk.  Therefore, if I am leaving the house for a full day, would the safest thing be to unplug the TV before I go out?

Do any of you always unplug the TV each time you have finished watching it?

• 07-08-2011 11:47 AM In reply to

• Kokomo
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-21-2007
    • Spain
    • Posts 618
    • Bronze Member

Re: Whether to unplug or to leave TV on stand-by?

Why not plug the set into a good quality surge protector?

• 07-08-2011 1:21 PM In reply to

• 355f
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 655
    • Bronze Member

Kokomo:

because surge protectors dont work!

• 07-08-2011 1:30 PM In reply to

The safest thing is clearly to unplug it - but surely unplugging the aerial will also be necessary. I think the best thing is to make sure the insurance covers lightning strikes though.

• 07-08-2011 1:49 PM In reply to

• mediabobny
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Greenwich Village, NYC
    • Posts 336
    • Founder

And you can usually disable PIN code protection - just refer to the user manual.

• 07-08-2011 3:24 PM In reply to

355f:

Kokomo:

Right, surge protector and my Panasonic flatscreen got damaged beyond repair by overload

Beosound 3000, BL 4000, BL 8000, BG 2404,BG 5000, BG CD50, Beocord 5000, BM 901, BM 2400, BM 4000, BV S45, BV 3702. There is nothing we cannot do, but a lot of things we don't want to do!!

• 07-08-2011 3:47 PM In reply to

• 355f
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 655
    • Bronze Member

Søren Mexico:

355f:

Kokomo:

Right, surge protector and my Panasonic flatscreen got damaged beyond repair by overload

Its  a very profitable business making surge protectors, plus the fact one can put on the packaging the 'up to £1M isnurance' if your equipement goes pop.  of course its all nonsense. The surge protector will only in very certain circumstances 'help' to protect the equipment to my knowledge of the companies I know that make this crap- no insurance has ever been paid out under these policies..... mmm wonder why!

• 07-09-2011 2:46 AM In reply to

I meant Home insurance - I agree that insurance policies on surge protectors are a scam.

• 07-09-2011 3:29 AM In reply to

• Kokomo
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-21-2007
    • Spain
    • Posts 618
    • Bronze Member

355f:

Kokomo:

Dont (sic) they? Sorry it was only a suggestion!

Anyway, think about the odds of your house being hit by lightning and the charge striking the aerial or satellite dish. Same odds I would have though as a person being hit by lightning. Of course it happens, but I wouldn't switch all my gear off daily just in case!

But that has to be a personal decision. Nobody can say you are 'right' or 'wrong' switching it off. 

• 07-09-2011 3:36 AM In reply to

• Kokomo
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-21-2007
    • Spain
    • Posts 618
    • Bronze Member

355f:
    The surge protector will only in very certain circumstances 'help' to protect the equipment to my knowledge of the companies I know that make this crap- no insurance has ever been paid out under these policies..... mmm wonder why!

Perhaps you're right, but tell me how you seem so sure that an insurance policy has never paid out in these circumstances?

Of course, if you have access to historical records of  insurance claim payouts from all companies around the world then I'll accept you're probably correct.

I suspect however that you don't!

• 07-09-2011 5:01 AM In reply to

• Opman
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-31-2007
    • Cheshire, UK
    • Posts 323
    • Bronze Member

Some years ago I heard of a customer's aerial being hit by lightning. He had unplugged the lead from the wall socket. The lightning travelled down the cable to the wall socket then struck his living room floor causing structural damage to his foundations. The loss adjuster apparently commented that he should have just left the TV plugged in.

How can you legislate for such occurences?

Opman

• 07-09-2011 6:00 AM In reply to

• 355f
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 655
    • Bronze Member

Kokomo:

355f:
    The surge protector will only in very certain circumstances 'help' to protect the equipment to my knowledge of the companies I know that make this crap- no insurance has ever been paid out under these policies..... mmm wonder why!

Perhaps you're right, but tell me how you seem so sure that an insurance policy has never paid out in these circumstances?

Of course, if you have access to historical records of  insurance claim payouts from all companies around the world then I'll accept you're probably correct.

I suspect however that you don't!

You are completely correct I dont have insurance company records from around the world, however I do know the factories in China that make them and they are more than happy to keep churning this stuff out!

Whilst i agree with a previous posting regarding the remote possibility of a strike, I think at greater risk is spike in the supply but to control that you need mains conditioning which is a bit more expensive than a $20 multisocket with nothing inside it that will do much!

• 07-09-2011 1:03 PM In reply to

He is just using common sense. Just think about it for a moment.......

If things sound too good to be true, they usually are!

Regards Graham

• 07-10-2011 1:39 AM In reply to

355f:

a $20 multisocket with nothing inside it that will do much!

Indeed - a few pence worth of components that do little good in many / most cases, but can double the retail cost of a 4 way block... however, like Opman I have a few years experience dealing with insureres on behalf of customers, and I recall at least 3 occasions where claims for kit where contested because there was no surge protection used - even though in all probability the stuff would still be damaged if there had been a protector there.

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)