in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 07-10-2011 1:49 AM by folkdeejay. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-05-2011 4:36 PM

Penta Midrange Drivers - Unrealistic recent price change by B&O to $400 per driver?

Hello all.

I'm here in the USA and recently acquired a pair of Penta 1's for all of $300.00. No shipping required as they were sold by a gent right here in my city. Good thing as they are much larger and heavier then I had expected. They are in pretty nice condition apart from the expected midrange driver issue -  all eight 3" midrange drivers are suffering from extreme foam rot.

I've read everything posted on BeoWorld concerning the options of purchasing new drivers from B&O or replacing the foam surrounds with either foam or rubber. Many of the comments by BeoWorld contributors indicated that the price for new B&O replacement drivers would be between 25 to 30 British Pounds or approximately $40.00 to $50.00 per piece.

After inquiring with two B&O parts suppliers - a Bang & Olufsen factory store in Washington D.C. and Atlantic Systems here in Massachusetts - I have found out some astounding news: I was quoted by the Bang & Olufsen factory store a price of $400.00 per driver! That translates into $3,200.00 to replace all eight speakers!! I explained to the store employee that these were very small and very basic 3" paper coned drivers. He stood firm at $400.00 per driver.

A further inquiry with Paul at Atlantic Systems reinforced that a recent significant price increase has been instituted by B&O for these obviously high demand drivers. He explained to me that they were, up until recently, approximately $50.00 per driver. Not only has the price increased, but B&O now requires that the original rotted one's be sent back to them lest one not receive a "core" credit. The original part number was 8480106 but has now been changed to 8410606.

Can any of you confirm that this price and exchange policy has also been implemented in your respective European countries?

Looks like we'll all have to learn the art of replacing speaker surrounds for our Pentas. For better or worse, it appears that we are being left with no choice.

• 07-05-2011 5:34 PM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

Re: Penta Midrange Drivers - Unrealistic recent price change by B&O to $400 per driver?

LaughingLaughing

Surely he was wrong..  that's ludicrous.

Lee

BeoWorld - Everything Bang & Olufsen

• 07-05-2011 6:11 PM In reply to

Re: Penta Midrange Drivers - Unrealistic recent price change by B&O to $400 per driver?

Michael_Sean:
    Looks like we'll all have to learn the art of replacing speaker surrounds for our Pentas. For better or worse, it appears that we are being left with no choice.

Count 15-20 USD per driver, and 1 houer effective work per driver, with shimming and new dust caps, but get good surrounds and glue, and work slowly and exactly.

Beosound 3000, BL 4000, BL 8000, BG 2404,BG 5000, BG CD50, Beocord 5000, BM 901, BM 2400, BM 4000, BV S45, BV 3702. There is nothing we cannot do, but a lot of things we don't want to do!!

• 07-05-2011 6:35 PM In reply to

• Vienna
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-15-2008
    • make an educated guess
    • Posts 712
    • Bronze Member

Michael_Sean:

Can any of you confirm that this price and exchange policy has also been implemented in your respective European countries?

... to some extent - YES 

The reason is:

B&O is no longer able to produce new drivers, they are running out of stock, they need the old magnet
    and chassis to re-use these parts for reconing (and to be able to deliver spare-drivers in future).

To enforce the returning of old parts the price has been increased to a ludicrous level if no old parts are returned!

As far as I know - if you return the drivers the retail price per refubished mid-driver will be around EUR 60. 

• 07-09-2011 4:26 PM In reply to

Vienna:

Michael_Sean:

... to some extent - YES 

The reason is:

B&O is no longer able to produce new drivers, they are running out of stock, they need the old magnet
    and chassis to re-use these parts for reconing (and to be able to deliver spare-drivers in future).

To enforce the returning of old parts the price has been increased to a ludicrous level if no old parts are returned!

As far as I know - if you return the drivers the retail price per refubished mid-driver will be around EUR 60. 

Maybe you can use these

Beosound 3000, BL 4000, BL 8000, BG 2404,BG 5000, BG CD50, Beocord 5000, BM 901, BM 2400, BM 4000, BV S45, BV 3702. There is nothing we cannot do, but a lot of things we don't want to do!!

• 07-09-2011 4:55 PM In reply to

Søren Mexico:

Vienna:

Michael_Sean:

... to some extent - YES 

The reason is:

Maybe you can use these

We are discussing midrange drivers. The advert is for woofers!!

Regards Graham

• 07-10-2011 1:49 AM In reply to

Vienna:

Michael_Sean:

... to some extent - YES 

The reason is:

I have known other Hi F companies operate similar schemes for drive units and also  phono cartridges.  It kind of makes sense, in that it is a charge that will encourage recycling of the old drivers, and so ensure ongoing supply to the market.

It may seem unfair at first glance, but in effect this could/should ensure longer term future supplies for Penta owners, at no additional cost once the invoice/credit scheme is complete.

Fair enough I guess.....with the one drawback that anyone who chooses not to send the broken (and so useless ) drivers back has a price to pay for the (ltd edtn ! ) replacements.  Only likely to be a problem if you want to refurb & sell on the old drivers.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)