in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 07-04-2011 6:10 PM by joeyboygolf. 18 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (19 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-24-2010 1:53 PM

• riis
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-01-2007
    • Denmark
    • Posts 152
    • Bronze Member

Beocenter 9300 CD lid doesn't open/close properly

I'm thinking of replacing my Beocenter 9000 with a BC 9300. I have found one which is in ok condition apart from the cd lid, which doesn't always close properly. Sometimes you have to give it a small push in order to close it. Is it something I have to worry about or is it a minor problem, which can be easily fixed?

• 01-25-2010 1:07 AM In reply to

• riis
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-01-2007
    • Denmark
    • Posts 152
    • Bronze Member

Re: Beocenter 9300 CD lid doesn't close properly

I'm not going to buy the BC 9300 if the cd lid thing is a major problem that will cost a lot of money to fix, so is there anybody out there who knows something about it. Unsure

• 01-25-2010 7:57 AM In reply to

riis:

I'm not going to buy the BC 9300 if the cd lid thing is a major problem that will cost a lot of money to fix, so is there anybody out there who knows something about it. Unsure

Well, you never know what a problem is until you take a look at it...

But the most probable reason is just bad lubrication / dirt in the sliding mechanism, or / and possibly a bad belt.

Anyway, I suggest you at least negotiate a lower price because of this, in case you actually need some spare part or need to pay someone else to fix it for you. If the lid closes and opens properly with a little help and then the CD plays without a problem, nothing should be broken in there.

-mika

• 01-31-2010 12:32 PM In reply to

• riis
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-01-2007
    • Denmark
    • Posts 152
    • Bronze Member

tournedos:

Well I bought the BC 9300, maybe I shouldn't because I can't figure out what's wrong with the sliding mechanism. I have removed the center plate so I can see the sliding mechanism. Nothing seems to be wrong, the motor runs when I touch the contact, but stops when the lid is half way open. If I touch the contact again the lid closes ok.

/riis

• 01-31-2010 12:50 PM In reply to

riis:

tournedos:

Well I bought the BC 9300, maybe I shouldn't because I can't figure out what's wrong with the sliding mechanism. I have removed the center plate so I can see the sliding mechanism. Nothing seems to be wrong, the motor runs when I touch the contact, but stops when the lid is half way open. If I touch the contact again the lid closes ok.

/riis

As Mika mentioned... The first thing I would do: I'd clean the tracks that the door tabs ride in. I would also confirm that the tabs are not compromised in any way. I can tell you from experience that there is a VERY fine line between the doors doing what they are doing now and working as intended. Do not force anything.

• B&o bottle opener
  • 01-31-2010 1:30 PM In reply to

• riis
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-01-2007
    • Denmark
    • Posts 152
    • Bronze Member

If the problem is dirt in the tracks wouldn't the door open if I helped it a little with a finger?

• 01-31-2010 1:38 PM In reply to

riis:

If the problem is dirt in the tracks wouldn't the door open if I helped it a little with a finger?

Perhaps a VERY judicious use of finger pressure to see how it responds, but again, don't force anything! This is the very reason so many of these units have "popped" strings.

• B&o bottle opener
  • 01-31-2010 1:45 PM In reply to

riis:

The doors don't have any position sensors, the CPU just commands the motors to run for a specific duration. If the lid moves sluggishly, it may not have enough time to reach the end of the travel before the motor stops. If the tape deck door works correctly, how does the speed compare to that?

-mika

• 01-31-2010 1:55 PM In reply to

• riis
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-01-2007
    • Denmark
    • Posts 152
    • Bronze Member

Oh now I understand how it works. So If both motors run for exactly the same time the problem has to be some sort of friction in the tracks? Confused

• 01-31-2010 1:57 PM In reply to

Another quick comment...

Be careful with the glass panels while rotating into the service position: Make sure they are not loose! Don't ask me how I know! Embarrassed Whistle

• B&o bottle opener
  • 01-31-2010 2:00 PM In reply to

riis:

Oh now I understand how it works. So If both motors run for exactly the same time the problem has to be some sort of friction in the tracks? Confused

Yes, likely friction either from grime, or in my case... I also noted one of the guide tabs was a bit askew. Some gentle pressure on the tab to realign it.

Like I said: A very fine line exists getting these just right. It is remarkable how something so trivial can cause these to stop.

• B&o bottle opener
  • 01-31-2010 2:17 PM In reply to

• riis
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-01-2007
    • Denmark
    • Posts 152
    • Bronze Member

Well I've tried to measure the time the motors run. The plate of the tape deck opens in about 2 secs. The plate of the cd opens halfway in about 1 sec. These times are not exact, but I'm sure the motors run differently in time.

• 01-31-2010 2:36 PM In reply to

I am not positive on this, and my BC9300 is in another location, so I can't test. Sad

But, if the motors are timed, try removing the belt (to remove any resistance from the equation) from the CD motor and re-time it.

I *think* that these motors are "clutched" in the sense that if they receive any resistance, they will stop.

This would also give you the opportunity to manually (delicately) try to move the door mechanism without influence from the motor, and note where there may be any resistance.

Don't get frustrated, you are close!

• B&o bottle opener
  • 01-31-2010 2:50 PM In reply to

• riis
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-01-2007
    • Denmark
    • Posts 152
    • Bronze Member

burantek:

Don't get frustrated, you are close!

Thanks for your reassuring words. I'll try that tomorrow. It's getting a bit late here in Denmark Sleep

• 01-31-2010 3:28 PM In reply to

• lausvi
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Helsinki - Finland
    • Posts 498
    • Gold Member

riis:

These times are not exact, but I'm sure the motors run differently in time.

I have replaced both belts and cleaned the tracks on my BC9000. If I switch the BC on, open both lids and press standby, the cassette lid closes first, then the CD's. The difference is small but clearly notable and everytime the same so it's not a random cause of friction. It looks actually very good, is this intentional or just a question of personality with my BC?

Bang & Olufsen - The art of controlling sound, picture and light

• 01-31-2010 6:22 PM In reply to

Ville Laustela:

I have replaced both belts and cleaned the tracks on my BC9000. If I switch the BC on, open both lids and press standby, the cassette lid closes first, then the CD's. The difference is small but clearly notable and everytime the same so it's not a random cause of friction. It looks actually very good, is this intentional or just a question of personality with my BC?

Unless the motors are different (doubt it) or the pulleys are of different size (haven't checked), it must be just because the CD door has more to do mechanically which slows it down. Now that I think of it, I believe my BC8000 is like that as well.

-mika

• 02-01-2010 4:31 AM In reply to

tournedos:

Ville Laustela:

Unless the motors are different (doubt it) or the pulleys are of different size (haven't checked), it must be just because the CD door has more to do mechanically which slows it down. Now that I think of it, I believe my BC8000 is like that as well.

It is because the CD lid has the CD clamper mechanism attached.

Regards Graham

• 07-04-2011 5:18 PM In reply to

hi Graham,

did you ever document how to re-cord the unit? i foolishly ploughed without research and dislodged the cords. is it just a case of copying the tape door set up and having loads of patience, a pair of tweezers and perhaps a curved needle to thread it round the gold spindle? any tricks of the trade welcomed. I take it i should have been able to dislodge the cd door without popping the cords...d'oh

Unit is a traversty,,, came smashed in the post (mint when i bought it...), tape deck sounds terrible, cd door was catching cd as it closed and cd has no power/or at least won;t spin

we live and learn...i got absolutely shafted :(

• 07-04-2011 6:10 PM In reply to

dan1969:

hi Graham,

did you ever document how to re-cord the unit? i foolishly ploughed without research and dislodged the cords. is it just a case of copying the tape door set up and having loads of patience, a pair of tweezers and perhaps a curved needle to thread it round the gold spindle? any tricks of the trade welcomed. I take it i should have been able to dislodge the cd door without popping the cords...d'oh

Unit is a traversty,,, came smashed in the post (mint when i bought it...), tape deck sounds terrible, cd door was catching cd as it closed and cd has no power/or at least won;t spin

we live and learn...i got absolutely shafted :(

I do have a little chuckle when I read the ebay adds promising to safely dispatch BC9300/9500 types in the courier system and do it all for £15 with Parcel Force!!!!

In my experience, most general sellers are rubbish when it comes to packing items for carriage. Not a clue!

I just received a record deck which had the platter sellotaped to the underside. The lid bound up with.........sellotape. The deck was then bound up in one wrap of small bubble wrap and forced across the corners of a carboard box which had been squashed into a trapezoid shape to fit!!

Regarding repair to your existing unit...............

Yes, you should have removed the door without displacing the chords.......too late now!

Regarding replacement, well........yes to all the above, there is no trick but it is not rocket science. Masking tape  to hold things in place while you are working, will help.

Remember that the opposite door chords are a mirror image/opposite orientation.

Patience, a bottle of scotch and a cigar will help!

Regards Graham

Page 1 of 1 (19 items)