in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 07-01-2011 4:31 AM by petermc. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-17-2011 6:21 AM

BV3 to BV10

Hi folks

I have just ordered a BV 10-40 to replace my BV 3-32 and I am looking forward to having a little more space in the living room and also to seeing whether there is a huge difference in standard definition picture quality. I have been really happy with the BV3, it is just that it is so flipping bulky!

Might also be time to invest in a Humax HD box; I currently use a Topfield box which only allows SD viewing.

Cheers

• 06-17-2011 9:20 AM In reply to

Re: BV3 to BV10

I assume you have a cable box, right? Otherwise I think you will feel that the picture is not as good as on your BV3. 

HD material on the BV10 is brilliant, so if you have invested in  the BV10, adding a HD box is the obvious choice if you do not go for the option of having the built in HD box.

Happy owner of: BV10, 2 x Beocom 2, Beocom 6000, Beocenter 2, Beolab 3, Beolab 2000, Beo4, Beolab 11

1:st prize winner Beoworld January Price Draw.

• 06-17-2011 9:39 AM In reply to

Thanks for this. Yes, I have a separate freeview box (Topfield) which just broadcasts standard definition output. The issue from my point of view is that the majority of TV programmes seem to be standard definition at the moment so I am not sure whether it really is worth investing in an HD box. And Sky + HD strikes me as a wee bit pricey for what is offered.

Hopefully I will not find the SD picture quality too bad....

C

• 06-30-2011 5:28 AM In reply to

My BV 10 has now arrived and been installed. It is a stunning design and looks absolutely fantastic on the wall. Having had the hulk of the BV3 taking up so much floor space for the last few years, my living room has been completely transformed. I am a very happy customer indeed!

The standard definition picture from my Topfield box is very poor when compared with the picture quality on the BV3. I kind of expected this, so I am getting an HD box fitted this afternoon.

The Speaker 1 sound is unsurprisingly very different compared with the BV 3 and, as everyone has already said on the forum, it needs additional speakers. I have got the BL800s at the front and BL600s at the rear which helps hugely.

One thing that I have noticed is that the set keeps changing Format, by itself, at random intervals. I am not sure why this is; the B&O guys are coming back on Friday so I will check with them.

• 06-30-2011 9:44 AM In reply to

• Kokomo
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-21-2007
    • Spain
    • Posts 618
    • Bronze Member

Dog [&] Re: BV3 to BV10

Compostela:

My BV 10 has now arrived and been installed. It is a stunning design and looks absolutely fantastic on the wall. Having had the hulk of the BV3 taking up so much floor space for the last few years, my living room has been completely transformed. I am a very happy customer indeed!

The standard definition picture from my Topfield box is very poor when compared with the picture quality on the BV3. I kind of expected this, so I am getting an HD box fitted this afternoon.

The Speaker 1 sound is unsurprisingly very different compared with the BV 3 and, as everyone has already said on the forum, it needs additional speakers. I have got the BL800s at the front and BL600s at the rear which helps hugely.

One thing that I have noticed is that the set keeps changing Format, by itself, at random intervals. I am not sure why this is; the B&O guys are coming back on Friday so I will check with them.

Thanks for the update and congratulations with your new set.

Regarding the poor SD picture quality, what do mainly attribute this to? Is it that the BV10 isn't very good with SD signals,  the larger screen shows up the inadequacies of SD, the Topfield box isn't very good or a combination of all 3?

It's a bit concerning if, even with your new HD box, SD remains poor compared to your BV3. Wiill you just have to accept it?

I know all larger screens struggle somewhat with SD display compared to HD but is the BV10 about the same as other manufacturers' products, better or worse in this respect?

• 06-30-2011 10:18 AM In reply to

i'm a little concerned with regards to sound quality too. If I spent that money, i would expect perfection as that is why you pay 5 - 7 times more!!!

• 06-30-2011 11:20 AM In reply to

• Kokomo
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-21-2007
    • Spain
    • Posts 618
    • Bronze Member

Paul Winn:

i'm a little concerned with regards to sound quality too. If I spent that money, i would expect perfection as that is why you pay 5 - 7 times more!!!

Fair point I think Paul.

The BV3's audio is excellent, therefore perhaps it's expecting too much for a flat screen to compete with this. For the price though I'd expect them to have a damn good try!

I'm in no way trying to 'rain on his parade', but surely if one pays what is a premium price for a TV then surely one should expect top notch performance? I accept of course that in the case of SD, then maybe little or nothing can be done by any brand to improve its appearance on a larger screen. That's what I was genuinely seeking information about.

Is the BV10 poorer, the same or better with SD than others out there?

• 06-30-2011 3:48 PM In reply to

I am in the process of having a Virgin HD box installed so I will be able to compare the Virgin SD picture with the Topfield SD picture this weekend. I suspect I will be very impressed with the HD picture; I guess after all this set was designed for HD use primarily.

In terms of the sound, I suppose you really do have to balance aesthetics alongside functionality. The BV3 rated very highly for me on functionality but at the same time it was a huge great hulk of a device and nowhere near as pleasing on the eye. As you mention above, it is surely hard to expect the same quality of sound from such a thin set and bear in mind that the sound is far from awful, it is just not up to the same high standard as the BV3 sound. 

I will let you know what the Virgin Box SD picture quality is like.

As an aside, you should have seen the Virgin installer when he was trying to navigate through the BV menu....his face was a picture! I think he was praying for a a nice little run of the mill Sony or Panasonic.....!

• 06-30-2011 3:59 PM In reply to

Having had a BV10 against an Avant, I was very pleased with the picture quality - analogue was poor but digital SD was fine. The BV3/Avant sound however is in another league to the BV10. Pictures on the Avant are at least as good on SD and if used with the HD feed, show an improvement over SD. The BV10 picture on HD is better.

I am thinking of a BV3 to replace an aging LX (still a fantastic set , sound and picture)

• 07-01-2011 4:31 AM In reply to

• petermc
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Shepparton, Australia
    • Posts 87
    • Founder

It would be good if you could adjust the sound settings on the BV10 for the TV only.

By this I mean that you can adjust the bass/treble for the TV only and then have different settings for attached speakers. With my BV10 I would like to increase the bass and perhaps loudness on the TV speaker only so that the sound can be more like the attached speakers when they are activated.

Peter

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)