in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 06-29-2011 7:39 AM by kennerd. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-27-2011 8:04 AM

240v to 110v conversion via internal jumpers: Beosound 1 & Beocenter 2

I purchased a Besound 1 from an ebay seller in Austria.  It is working fine with a 240/110 converter.  Service Manual for the Besound 1 explains that jumper 2J2 on PCB2 shoud be mounted for 110v, dismounted to 240v.

It was mounted when I received the unit, but was supplied with the euro mains lead.

My question: with the jumper in place, may I replace the euro mains lead with a US mains lead and simply plug the unit directly into my 110v socket WITHOUT the converter, or will I damage the unit?

-----------------------------------------------

Next question: Can the Beocenter 2 (master unit type 2802, socket unit type 2829) be set up in the same way?  In the Service Manual, (Part 1, Mk2, page 5) it explains that the master unit has only one variant for all markets, but the voltage it dictated by the type nos. of the socket.  IN this case, it is GB2 for the UK.  Does this mean that the Beocenter 2 can only be run on 240v due to the UK socket unit?  Can the socket unit iteself be converted for use in the US with 110v?  

• 06-28-2011 8:29 PM In reply to

Re: 240v to 110v conversion via internal jumpers: Beosound 1 & Beocenter 2

Any help here?

• 06-29-2011 2:15 AM In reply to

Patience - there aren't that many people that have done any internal work on recent products like this, and it can take a while before any of them drops by.

kennerd:
    My question: with the jumper in place, may I replace the euro mains lead with a US mains lead and simply plug the unit directly into my 110v socket WITHOUT the converter, or will I damage the unit?

Looking at the service manual, indeed it seems so... but don't take my word on it! Are you sure the seller didn't install the jumper for you, knowing that it would end up in 110V land?

Regarding BC2, the master unit does not have a power supply of its own, it gets everything through the socket unit and therefore can apparently be identical on all markets. I'm on a way too slow connection to browse through the huge service manual, but mains voltage is only one part of the issue - you would also need a service tool to reprogram the DVD region, tuner parameters, etc.

-mika

• 06-29-2011 7:39 AM In reply to

Thanks, Mica: I didn't mean to seem impatient.  Just "bumping" the thread back to the top in hops that someone sees the question....more a technique for a froum with higher volume, I guess!  I was curious to see if I could drum up some feedback, since the BC2 is actually on Ebay right nowWink

BS1:  It was purchased through an ebay seller from Austria.  She knew little of the item and isn't an audio-specific seller. I just found it odd that it seemed set up properly for US use, but labelled for Euro:  The BS1 sn;t necessarily an audiophile item that you'd experience someone purchasing a jumper, disassembling and re-wiring just for the hopes in selling to a Yankee! 

I'm going to bring in a spare US mains cord and try it today.

The BC2:  So, the unit can be jumpered to work with the socket, and the socket can likely be configured for the voltage, but I really don;t wish to get involved in tracking down a service tool to reprogram, since I'm sure they aren;t "floating around".  I'll send an email to B&O support on that right away, and see if they come back quickly. 

Thanks

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)