in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 06-11-2011 7:39 PM by Stan. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-05-2011 1:44 PM

• Stan
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 593
    • Gold Member

Beolink passive/active/beolink wireless compatibility?

Does anybody know if there are any compability issues between the beolink passive. active and wireless.  I'm thinking of expanding my ML network in my upstairs which currently consists of a single beolink wireless.  That is, instead of running a pair of speakers from the wireless, I'd connect the wireless to an active and passive via a beolink junction box.  It is my understanding that the wireless's PowerLink sockets cannot be used when the beolink wireless is being used as a ML "bridge".  If anybody can confirm/deny this, that would be great. 

There are often reasonably priced used BeoLink boxes available, and since they're hidden away, it doesn't matter what they look like.  However, since 2nd hand purchases often cannot be returned (and also can be quite old), I'd rather not buy something without being reasonably confident that it will work.

Thanks in advance,

Stan

• 06-05-2011 1:57 PM In reply to

Re: Beolink passive/active/beolink wireless compatibility?

Hi Stan

The wireless unit is effectivly an active kit without the hard wire connection from ML system. You cannot bridge ML out to another product in the way you want to do. you can create a bigger wireless range by having more than one transmitter. You can connect an ML/MCL convertor to the PL sockets and run passive speakers using 8/8 PL. The ML socket the recieving link room is designed for a product like the BeoLab 3500, but this can only be done with current sw and not the original released sw, in those days you had to use fully wired PL and an IR eye kit.

I hope this helps?
  • 06-05-2011 6:48 PM In reply to

• Stan
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 593
    • Gold Member

I did upgrade the software in my wireless units after purchase so the timer function would work. It seems to me that if the wireless can support a BL3500 via the receive side ML port, it should also be able to support an active or passive (or possibly both) as a BL3500 is essentially an active with built in speakers, no? I recall that some where on this site is a BL wireless compatibility matrix and the active and passive are both listed as supported. However, I tested this once by connecting an active to the wireless"s ML port, and it sort of worked, but did not work completely. At the time, someone advised me that the problems were because I had speakers connected to the PL sockets on the wireless. I guess I will need to test this again - I have an extra active, I just need to borrow a ML cable from another component in my network (which is what I'm trying to avoid since the one that is non-essential to testing the wireless is kind of hard to get at). Stan
  • 06-11-2011 7:39 PM In reply to

• Stan
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 593
    • Gold Member

Just completing this thread.  I did test this today - connecting a BeoLink Active to the ML port of a BeoLink Wireless1 receiver, and it all worked fine.  On/Off, source selection, timer function, PC input, etc. all worked 100%.  The key is to not use the PL ports or IR port on the wireless.

Why would anybody want to do this?  My assumption is that if one device works, then multiple devices will also work (ML is a passive network, only the "master" really knows what is connected).  In this way, I can add an Active (currently sitting idle) to replace what I'm currently doing with the wireless (with the added feature of the PC port to support input from my non-B&O TV), and then add a Passive to drive some outdoor speakers... right now, I'm driving the outdoor speakers using a PL to RCA cable (from Sounds Heavenly) from the wireless into an old integrated amp, but I must disconnect my indoor speakers (BL4) when I play my outdoor speakers because, otherwise, they play too loudly when I turn up the volume loud enough to drive the outdoor speakers. 

Yes, I could probably accomplish most of this with a 2nd wireless RX (minus the PC port capability), but given the challenge with getting 1 wireless working consistently, I'm afraid that a 2nd might interfer with the 1st as they would be mounted near each other.  I guess if I can procure a wireless cheaper than a passive, then maybe that will guide my direction...

Stan

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)