in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 06-06-2011 5:51 AM by beofanboy. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-05-2011 7:53 PM

Funny issues with MCP 5500 and Beomaster 5500

Hi everyone. 

Yesterday I purchased a a complete Beomaster set that included two RL60s, an A Terminal and the MCP 5500.  All units and both speakers work very well as does the A Terminal.  The MCP 5500 is another story.  While is does establish a link/connection to the Beomaster, funny things happen.  Specifically:

1) When the Beomaster is connected to the MCP, it shows the Treble or Bass settings.  The MCP's wheel works but no other button does.  When I look at the front of the unit with a digital camera, there are not signs of acticity.  When I stop pressing any button (except the turning the wheel) the lights remain on. 

2) Using the digital camera I can see four IR lights in the middle of the Beomaster's panel so something is working there.

3) When using a Beo4 on the system (the only way I know of to exit the sound setup), I go to A. SETUP and scroll through the options and save.  That closes out the Treble/Bass/Loudness configuration.  However, the moment I do anything to the system (volume adjustment, switch to tape or CD, etc.) the system goes back to treble/bass adjustment and the MCP reflects that.Instead of "F" in the screen or the volume number, you have the digit reflecting the treble/bass level and either 'bass' or treble' in the panel.

4) When I switch to the Beogram or tape or CD, the MCP acknowledges the change and shows the track number, tape counter, etc.  as normal.  But again, I can not use any of the buttons other than the scroll wheel.

I removed the top of the Beomaster's cover and took a look inside but nothing seems disconected or otherwise amis.  I also did the same to the MCP and nothing looks amis there, either. 

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this and how to fix it???  Thanks in advance.

• 06-06-2011 4:13 AM In reply to

• Step1
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-06-2008
    • Manchester
    • Posts 961
    • Gold Member

Re: Funny issues with MCP 5500 and Beomaster 5500

I would check for liquid spillage in the MCP personally. Almost sounds like a ransomly operating or sticky button but not sure about that.

On my MCP I found battery acid all over the opamp which reads the IR Rx diodes for volume control. Cleanup alone was not enough some tracks had to be repaired.

Have you removed batteries for a while then replaced with fresh? Are there signs of leahage in the battery compartment?

Just some ideas to be going on with!

Olly.

• 06-06-2011 5:51 AM In reply to

Re: Funny issues with MCP 5500 and Beomaster 5500

Thanks, Olly.

The boards are clean and there are no signs of leakage whatsoever.  Everything is clean inside the MCP.  I used a new set of Duracells when I got home.  Also, no signs of leakage in in the BM. 

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)