in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 08-12-2011 4:27 PM by Blackrix. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-09-2011 3:49 PM

PIN code protection

Since we have the unfortunate situation where scum are breaking nto shops in the UK and loading themselves up with electrical equipment, it raises the subject of theft of electrical goods and how to prevent it.

How much do you think it adds to the cost of a B&O product to implement the PIN code system, including all the admin associated with it in Denmark and at a dealer level? Would it ever be possible for Sony etc to use similar systems at their price points? or can you think of a beter solution?

Personally, with more products connecting to the internet I would give the manufacturer an option to blow the stolen stuff up and take anyone withing 5m with it, but I doubt the EU would allow it.

• 08-11-2011 11:05 AM In reply to

Re: PIN code protection

I like your suggestion of expoding TVs - appeals to the heart if not the mind. Takes me back to Monty Python's exlpoding penguin sketch.

On your - I think - more serous point, the problem is for the mass market cos like Sony there will always be someone who manages to break the code system. People used to sell the software to recode car radios before they were made vehicle specific and you can buy the sofware to "wind back" elctronic odometers.

As more and more equipment becomes internet-connected it may be possible to implement a system similar to the mobile phone IMEI that could lock out units reported as stolen when they become "visible". But someone would no doubt manage to get around that too.

And B&O's system is not necessarily fool-proof. I know one person who claims the police told him his stolen stuff was "reborn" after B&O gave out the codes to the thief. That was some time back, though, and might not happen now.

• 08-12-2011 4:27 PM In reply to

Re: PIN code protection

To prevent B&O equipment with PIN code protection from being used again after it has been stolen, always inform B&O about the stolen products with the serialnumbers. As far as I know the master code will not be released anymore and the equipment is useless. And the dealer can also see that he is requesting a mastercode for a stolen product. The system is as good as the people who work with it!

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)