in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 05-09-2011 6:24 PM by McRib. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-08-2011 11:24 PM

• McRib
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 10-01-2009
    • USA
    • Posts 19
    • Bronze Member

BS2500 keep or sell?

A few months ago I bought a Beosystem 2500. It was advertised as being in excellent shape and cosmetically it is. However the tape deck doesn't work and it looks like the CD mechanism might need to be replaced (it won't read certain CDs). The price I paid was "good" but I didn't figure on having to spend more money on the thing.

Should I just keep it and fix what needs fixing, or sell it (for probably the same price) and buy another 2500 that won't need as much work? *Or* will any 2500, being an older unit, need work anyway? Am I getting off "easy" by not having to invest in any cosmetic pieces? I'd be interested in any thoughts ---

• 05-09-2011 4:00 AM In reply to

• Hubbe
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-03-2011
    • Posts 35
    • Bronze Member

Re: BS2500 keep or sell?

The cd´s that it´s not playing. Is it burned cd's? Now I don´t have a beosystem 2500, but other B&O products from the same era. They can not read all the burned CD. It depends on how they are burned. Too high speed and they will seldom work.

The tape deck is probably in need of service however. If it was me I would probably leave it to a B&O workshop and let them have a look at it. That includes the cd player, but I don´t think there is anything wrong with it personaly. 

I don´t think this will be to expensive to fix. If you buy another Beosystem 2500 you will probably face the same problems.

• 05-09-2011 8:56 AM In reply to

• stotty1111
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-16-2007
    • UK / France - Nth Worcestershire/Finistere
    • Posts 924
    • Gold Member

Try reburning the cd's at a slow burn speed that usually solves the won't play problem - some retail cd's will not play as there is a slightinconsistency with the pickup burning seems to solve this problem

bonne chance

tony

I always try to operate using/following the KISS principle --  Keep it simple stupid!

• 05-09-2011 12:55 PM In reply to

There could also be a problem with playing Copy Protected "CD's". These "CD's" have a copyprotection which makes the disc so bad that it is not a CD anymore, but a nice shiny disc with music on it. It simply does not comply with the Philips Redbook. To be able to sell these discs the CD-logo is not on these discs. A way to solve this is to make a copy and play that, as strange as it seems. Is it actually a tangential laser (straight) or a radial version (with a bow)?

• 05-09-2011 6:24 PM In reply to

• McRib
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 10-01-2009
    • USA
    • Posts 19
    • Bronze Member

It's the latest versionof the 2500, about mid '95 i think, with the sled based laser.

the cds that don't play : 1 has a deep scratch that runs from the hole to the outer edge. every other player i have from the cd7000 to a 5500 to cheap sony players to car players will read the disc. the 2500 spins it up then stops, like it can't read the table of contents. 

the second disc had a "gooey" smudge on it which i removed about 98%. but the disc produces clicking sounds or the sound mutes out here and there. 

these are original cds, bought in the late 80s early 90s. 

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)