in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 05-17-2011 3:58 PM by Puncher. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-17-2011 1:56 PM

• Earle
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 06-12-2008
    • Posts 26
    • Bronze Member

Possibly the Best Protection Against...

Foam rot! Well, actually, the cracking of the rubber surrounds (since foam rot seems to be an innevitability). When I bought my new Treetorn wellies, I read that wiping them down with silicon lubricant will help keep the rubber moisturized and reduce any chance of cracking at the stress points (cracking was something I read these boots were also suseptible to). It was advised NOT to spray WD-40 since all that will do is REMOVE moisture rather than help retain it. 

After remembering all this, I'm interested to see what other people might think of spraying a rag with silicone spray and gently wiping down the rubber surrounds of their speakers in order to prolong the life and pushing possible cracking further into the distant future.

The main reason this comes to mind is that, I recently ordered new drivers for my 6000's (the old ones, as you may have guessed, fell victim to the rubber surrounds cracking). Now, in order to make my investment last, I was thinking about using this technique on the new drivers.

Thoughts?

www.myspace.com/djbosconian www.myspace.com/earlec
  • 05-17-2011 3:01 PM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

Re: Possibly the Best Protection Against...

Through experience, it's only the 1994/95 drivers which are cracking.  I assume your pair are that kind of age?

I think 15 years or more is fair use! - but as time goes on and materials improve, the next set will probably last 20-25 years..  by which time you probably won't own them!

I'd recommend going out and buying some beer, then drinking it - and enjoying your 6000's as they are. Big Smile

Lee

BeoWorld - Everything Bang & Olufsen

• 05-17-2011 3:55 PM In reply to

9 LEE:
    I'd recommend going out and buying some beer, then drinking it - and enjoying your 6000's as they are. Big Smile

LaughingBeerYes -  thumbs up

Beosound 3000, BL 4000, BL 8000, BG 2404,BG 5000, BG CD50, Beocord 5000, BM 901, BM 2400, BM 4000, BV S45, BV 3702. There is nothing we cannot do, but a lot of things we don't want to do!!

• 05-17-2011 3:58 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

9 LEE:
    I'd recommend going out and buying some beer, then drinking it -

Very sound advice - easily the best solution to most of lifes problems, no matter how small!LaughingBeer

@LEE - I never had you down as a philofficer!

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)