in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 04-29-2011 10:54 PM by elephant. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-29-2011 3:17 AM

Beomaster 5500 problem....

Hello all,

this is my first posting as I have just put together a beosystem 5500 with four beovox s45  speakers and I am in love! The system looks and sounds like it was made yesterday and the MCP is quite a conversation piece.

I do have one small problem though - the left hand socket for the secondary speakers is not giving any output. The speakers themselves and the DIN cables I made are all fine as I have tried swapping them all around.

My question is - can i fix this myself, and if so does anybody know how? I live in the middle of nowhere in france so repairs by a professional would be almost impossible. It looks like someone has had a go already as the black plastic socket surround is slightly lifted from the case?

Hoping for some expert advice before I start tinkering! Many thanks in advance to anyone who can help...

• 04-29-2011 5:57 AM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

Re: Beomaster 5500 problem....

Welcome to Beoworld !

Are both left channel sockets silent ?
    is it silent on all sources (radio/tape etc.) ?
    Have you checked the balance control ?

Martin

• 04-29-2011 6:14 AM In reply to

Is there any resistance when you plug the speaker in ? Could be that the socket pins hve loosed outwards. Also the socket itself could be dirty or oxidized not allowing good contact.

• 04-29-2011 7:10 AM In reply to

I have a sneaking suspicion that it is actually the main speakers - the labelling on the back is confusing to say the least. Does the working right channel mute when you press mute? Only the speaker 1 mutes and it is very common for the mute relay to stick in one channel.

• 04-29-2011 11:29 AM In reply to

Martin, Eugene, Peter,

thanks very much for your replies and suggestions.

Having checked the back again it was indeed the main left speaker (lower socket), and there was some resistance when plugging in, the speaker was silent on all sources including radio and I checked the balance which was fine with the working secondary left speaker/ two right speakers scrolling fine.

However...  the problem has worsened to say the least. Having switched the whole system off and on again the secondary left speaker also cut out, so I turned the whole thing off and on again. It was still out so I was scrolling volume and balance to check for sound from both left speakers when the sound distorted and cut -

The unit is no longer responding to the MCP and the front led display is now only showing what looks like a 'P n' on the numeral display and not responding at all. Secondary units are still responding fine to manual controls.

There doesn't seem to have been a power surge as everything else in the house is fine? Can I reset somehow?

Have only just put this all together after buying off eBay so I'm getting very worried I bought a duffer. Sorry to post further problems but hoping for some good news?

• 04-29-2011 10:54 PM In reply to

roccodog:
    now only showing what looks like a 'P n' on the numeral display

Pn is one of your 9 or so Programmed radio stations.  This has probably not been set-up since you bought it.

I have a BM 5000, not a 5500, but with mine you can bypass the MCP by pressing the BM 5000's panel where it says [OPEN] on the bottom left.  From there you have access to a number of the controls including being able to select the radio bands and program the stations. (unless if like on one of my BM 5000s you have faulty wiring, in which case only an MCP can help, or you need to get into some simple repair work ... but be careful: this can lead to stage II of the BeoVirus from which most don't recover Laughing)

What is state of the batteries in your MCP ?

Do you have all the necessary manuals ?

Also check out the BeoTech site !

And I am sure you will grow to love your purchase ... not such thing as a "duffer", just some old kit that needs TLC Smile

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)