in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 04-14-2011 5:17 AM by BenSA. 14 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-12-2011 12:48 PM

• BenSA
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Durban, South Africa
    • Posts 808
    • Gold Member

Beosystem 8000 - Advice

I have been turning this in my head for days now. I have the opportunity of buying a complete Beosystem 8000.

Includes the Beomaster, Beocord and Beogram with cartridge. I have already purchased the Beovox's from the seller. All are in mint cosmetic condition. The Beomaster does not work. The cost is £155 for the entire system. I don't need the system but I've always kind of lusted for one. Point is the Beomaster doesn't work and they are notoriously difficult to repair. Also I heard that they take up a large amount of space. Am I buying something that is just going to end up collecting dust that really isn't worth much? I have a lot of B&O as it is, its just the Beovirus that is pushing me to buy it.

I hope this isn't post doesn't come across as stupid, but I seriously cannot make up my mind. Driving me insane.

Durban South Africa

• 03-12-2011 2:56 PM In reply to

Re: Beosystem 8000 - Advice

Ridiculously cheap - the Beomaster is not that tricky to repair - as long as the damage is not cosmetic and the ICs are OK. Not a lot to lose really! This is a big system though! I sold mine as I simply didn't have the space and I never used it.

• 03-12-2011 3:07 PM In reply to

• BenSA
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Durban, South Africa
    • Posts 808
    • Gold Member

Thanks for your reply Peter. I'm glad to hear that its a bargain price. I am definitely leaning towards purchasing it now. Where I'll put it....haven't a clue! Guess Beovirus wins!!

Durban South Africa

• 03-12-2011 3:28 PM In reply to

Do you have a repair solution on hand? As you already know it needs service you better have that issue cleared.

The Beocord properly needs belts and lubrication here and there.

The Beogram might work but if is an 8000 then the tacho disc might be falling apart and generally new caps will make sure the arm does not get stuck at some point.

Make sure you pick them in very nice condition as parts and buyers are hard to deal with even if it does not bother you.

Do you have Beovox speakers that handle a BM8000 without foam rot?

Otherwise once its fully in order, space is found then you got sound for days!

• 03-12-2011 3:41 PM In reply to

• BenSA
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Durban, South Africa
    • Posts 808
    • Gold Member

Hi Friedmett....I am able to replace caps myself as well as belts etc...thats not a problem. The Beomaster I won't be able to diagnose problems etc....I would have to find a repairer which might be a problem. I know that the units are in very good cosmetic condition. I have a pair of Beovox M150's which have been refoamed, also a pair of Beovox 5700's, so I have options. It will take me quite a while to get the system in working order I'm sure. It is just so rare to find one in my country. Its my only chance to buy one! The seller immigrated here many years ago and brought the Beosystem with. This model was never sold in my country.

Durban South Africa

• 03-12-2011 4:04 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

What's there to consider Ben?

Grab it before someone else does!

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 03-12-2011 5:10 PM In reply to

It's a great system! And not that expensive. South Africa is a bit far for me and I already have a complete 8000 sytem (master 8000, cord 9000 and gram 8002), otherwise I would also be tempted. And I agree, the BeoVirus often wins! I have bought a pair of BeoVox MC120-2 but don;t know where to place them. I will find a spot......Wink

• 03-13-2011 12:58 AM In reply to

As the person who bought Peter's Beosystem 8000, after going through a similar process of decision making, I can only say that I'm very glad I did.  But then, I'm still suffering from the Beovirus as well!  

There is a view that those with an 8000 system eventually don't use it if they have other high end B&O equipment as well, but so far that hasn't been my experience - I use mine as my main listening source about 60% of the time - it alternates in my main lsitening room with a Beomaster 4400-based system and lives under the bed when not in use! 

There have been a couple of problems with the Beomaster 8000, which apparently has a reputation for drifting 'off-spec' very easily, but I am lucky in having relatively easy access to someone who can fix these things. 

The only real problems are about size and domestic acceptability.  It is huge, particularly if set up side-by-side which is I think the best way to have it (about 170cms in total and that's without a CD player such as the CDX.) and it weighs a lot  - 22kgs for the Beomaster is a huge lump to move about on a regular basis. And the connections can be fiddly.  Oh, and my partner hates it!  

But you'll probably regret it if you don't buy it, particularly at that price.

Cleve

• 03-14-2011 3:59 AM In reply to

• BenSA
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Durban, South Africa
    • Posts 808
    • Gold Member

Thanks everyone for the advice! I have for the moment decided not to purchase the Beosystem even though it is a good price. One very good point that Friedmett said is that I'd need a qualified to technician to sort out the Beomaster. I think the seller will find it quite hard to sell the system in its present condition. If he reduces his price further, I might consider.

Thanks again!

Durban South Africa

• 03-14-2011 3:59 AM In reply to

• BenSA
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Durban, South Africa
    • Posts 808
    • Gold Member

Thanks everyone for the advice! I have for the moment decided not to purchase the Beosystem even though it is a good price. One very good point that Friedmett said is that I'd need a qualified to technician to sort out the Beomaster. I think the seller will find it quite hard to sell the system in its present condition. If he reduces his price further, I might consider.

Thanks again!

Durban South Africa

• 03-14-2011 8:02 AM In reply to

• Step1
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-06-2008
    • Manchester
    • Posts 961
    • Gold Member

Hey my sister is currently in SA I wonder what she would say to a little extra hand luggage :)

Seriously BenSA that is a super price (you also get some good deals don't you!!!) I would snap it up!

Olly.

• 03-14-2011 8:23 AM In reply to

Well it all depends but I do think its more than just the BM8000 that needs work in this case.

It reminds of my Beosystem 6000 back in the fall of 2007. All 3 units like BM6000, BG6006 and BC6000 in white edition.

I already knew it was rare even in Denmark and Dillen could do the service but it will still cost for travel and the service + time.

All 3 units needed service to work. No Beovox's but the S80.2 and S120 had foamrot when I managed to locate them for sale.

Due to to how rare it is I'm still going to keep it but I use my Beosystem 6500 90% of the time.

I do also have a white edition BM8000 which is currently setup but due to age it has no radio signals and display errors. I'm in no rush but it will be taken to Dillen someday. It works good but hardly use it and don't even plan on the full setup as yet.

• 04-14-2011 3:17 AM In reply to

• BenSA
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Durban, South Africa
    • Posts 808
    • Gold Member

Well I never did buy this system but I got an e-mail from the seller saying he really needs to get of the space as he is relocating to an apartment from a house and has now offered me the entire system for 45 pounds! I no longer can resist it. So I have agreed to purchase it!!! Smile

Durban South Africa

• 04-14-2011 4:17 AM In reply to

I think you should haggle a bit. Only joking, go and get it NOW!!!

• 04-14-2011 5:17 AM In reply to

• BenSA
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Durban, South Africa
    • Posts 808
    • Gold Member

beaker:

I think you should haggle a bit. Only joking, go and get it NOW!!!

Haha....I will do that lol!!!!

Durban South Africa

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)