in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 04-23-2011 2:47 AM by Spiros. 36 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (37 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-12-2011 10:36 AM

• egoh
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-12-2011
    • Austin, Texas - USA
    • Posts 77
    • Gold Member

Beogram CD 4500

Hi folks,

I recently acquired a Beomaster 4500 and Beogram CD-4500 in non-working condition. The Beomaster was an easy fix and just needed a new capacitor in the power supply. The Beogram CD player only outputs white noise and a bit of screeching sound. The servo stage seems to work fine, as well as the display, output relays, etc. I changed the 4700uf and 2200uf caps since they were likely suspects but no change. I'm assuming a cap near the DAC is probably shot. I don't have the service manual for this so I'm a bit in the dark. I've been trying to trace the circuit board but it's been a bit difficult to figure out.

Any suggested areas to look at?

At a later date, I'll change out all the capacitors on both units, but I'd love to get it working first. I'm also working with a local metal shop to have replacement mirror panels fabricated. My fingers are crossed that it works out well. :) I'll post pictures once it's all done.

Thanks in advance!

• 04-12-2011 12:44 PM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

Re: Beogram CD 4500

Welcome to Beoworld!

You are well on your way to a wonderful set of Beo Smile Yes -  thumbs up

I gave up on the mirrored panels and decided to paint mine instead.

As far as circuit diagrams and the like go, they are available through the site to Silver and Gold level members.

Evan

• 04-12-2011 12:59 PM In reply to

Evan:
    As far as circuit diagrams and the like go, they are available through the site to Silver and Gold level members.

Unfortunately, neither the CD4500 service manual nor its closest relative, the 3500, are on site -yet.

Perhaps the service manual to another CD player with similar technical guts could be suggested, if on site?

• B&o bottle opener
  • 04-12-2011 2:36 PM In reply to

• egoh
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-12-2011
    • Austin, Texas - USA
    • Posts 77
    • Gold Member

Thanks for the welcome Evan! I saw your thread on painting the panels. Looked very nice. However, I really took the plunge and removed the existing panels (and added some damage to them). So, I have to figure out a replacement.

I'm working with a local shop that is cutting and bending stainless steel mirror finish panels. Should look the same, except the color will probably be a bit different since it's not going to be aluminum.  

I'm also having new metal bent (brushed steel) for the Beovox 3000 passive speakers I picked up at the same time. 

• 04-12-2011 2:38 PM In reply to

• egoh
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-12-2011
    • Austin, Texas - USA
    • Posts 77
    • Gold Member

Thanks burantek, that's too bad that the manuals aren't available. I'm browsing the 5500 manual and see some similarity.  I saw this thread:

http://forum.beoworld.org/forums/t/37702.aspx

Seems to be a similar problem. I replaced all the 100uf caps and the white noise is gone. However, now I have no output. Going to poke around some more but I think the blown cap. might have taken something else out as well.

• 04-12-2011 2:45 PM In reply to

egoh:

I'm working with a local shop that is cutting and bending stainless steel mirror finish panels. Should look the same, except the color will probably be a bit different since it's not going to be aluminum.  

I'm also having new metal bent (brushed steel) for the Beovox 3000 passive speakers I picked up at the same time.

Definitely post some pics, esp of the BV3000 panels. I, and a lot of other folks, would surely be interested. The mondrian panels as beautiful as they are -are notorious for blemishing by just being looked at wrong.

Oh, and welcome to BeoWorld as well!

• B&o bottle opener
  • 04-12-2011 4:15 PM In reply to

egoh:
    I'm also working with a local metal shop to have replacement mirror panels fabricated. My fingers are crossed that it works out well. :) I'll post pictures once it's all done.

Please do! I'm doing the same with a company in the UK. The bending is not what they do unfortunately....

B&O item 1, B&O item 2, B&O item 3,...................B&O item 735

Beovirus? What's that?

• 04-12-2011 4:26 PM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

burantek:

Evan:

Unfortunately, neither the CD4500 service manual nor its closest relative, the 3500, are on site -yet.

Whoops! My mistake! I was trying to post right before class started so I didn't check. Embarrassed

Evan

• 04-12-2011 4:29 PM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

burantek:
    The mondrian panels as beautiful as they are -are notorious for blemishing by just being looked at wrong.

DITTO.

At the moment I am dealing with some old (~6 months) fingerprints left over from installation that I forgot to wipe off when I finished! Super Angry

Evan

• 04-12-2011 4:54 PM In reply to

• egoh
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-12-2011
    • Austin, Texas - USA
    • Posts 77
    • Gold Member

OK, CD player is working great again. I used the 5500 schematics to figure out the problem. The 100uf caps in the opamps need to be replaced. They are C103, C109 (? the screening is reversed and hard to read so I'm not sure of the number), C107, and C106. Also R121 (68 ohm)blew as a result of the shorted cap(s). 

I'll keep everyone posted with the cosmetic parts fabrication. Hopefully by the end of the week.

• 04-12-2011 5:24 PM In reply to

Great job, egoh... and great job nav'ing the forum! Cheers!
    • B&o bottle opener
  • 04-12-2011 5:26 PM In reply to

Evan:

burantek:
    The mondrian panels as beautiful as they are -are notorious for blemishing by just being looked at wrong.

DITTO.

At the moment I am dealing with some old (~6 months) fingerprints left over from installation that I forgot to wipe off when I finished! Super Angry

Yes -sometimes it's not enough to use ordinary cleaning products. I use Sterling Stål Blank (steel cleaner) for my BL 5000 and Penta's (it must be without abrasive effect).
    It is very effective. I don't know if you can buy it in the States -but there must be something similar.

Steffen

• 04-12-2011 5:41 PM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

Well done Egoh! I will have to take care of this when I get back into my 4500 system!

Evan

• 04-21-2011 5:01 PM In reply to

• egoh
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-12-2011
    • Austin, Texas - USA
    • Posts 77
    • Gold Member

As promised, here are the photos of the Beovox 3000 (4500) restoration project I finished.

Before:

Removed Stainless for pattern:

Fabricated panels (one with protective plastic still on):

After:

Beomaster 4500 mirror fabrication still in progress...

• 04-21-2011 5:07 PM In reply to

• egoh
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-12-2011
    • Austin, Texas - USA
    • Posts 77
    • Gold Member

Here is another photo with flash:

Overall, I'm quite happy with the results. The stainless was a bit thicker than the original, so it's more durable. However, it's also harder to bend so there is some light rippling at the bends. Not bad for my first B&O cosmetic restoration. 

• 04-21-2011 6:28 PM In reply to

Very nice. Now you just need to find somebody who can do the engraving of "BANG & OLUFSEN" in the steel Wink Whistle

• 04-21-2011 6:50 PM In reply to

• egoh
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-12-2011
    • Austin, Texas - USA
    • Posts 77
    • Gold Member

I originally thought it was etched, but it's actually just a sticker. I could have had one made, but I like the clean look...more minimal. 

• 04-21-2011 6:54 PM In reply to

Well done! 

Btw, the Bang & Olufsen text on the Beovox flatpanels is originally not engraved.

To much cleaning and you wipe it offWhistle
    This what I used and it (almost) looks the same as the original!

Beovirus? What's that?

• 04-21-2011 6:58 PM In reply to

• egoh
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-12-2011
    • Austin, Texas - USA
    • Posts 77
    • Gold Member

Leslie, Did you replace the metal as well? Or, did you just have to replace the logo?

• 04-21-2011 7:05 PM In reply to

No Egoh, just the logo. Bought the metal (mirror finish) sheets already for both Beovox 3000 and 5000 but now I'm looking for someone who can do the bending of the sheets (90 and 135 degr. angle). The bending radius must be a "sharp" as possible if you know what I mean.

Beovirus? What's that?

• 04-21-2011 7:27 PM In reply to

• egoh
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-12-2011
    • Austin, Texas - USA
    • Posts 77
    • Gold Member

Leslie, I'm no metallurgist, but I think the bend is a function of the thickness of the metal as well as the alloy. I think B&O got such as crisp line because the metal was both thin and soft. I saw the industrial break used to bend my sheet and I think the machine could get a crisp line. However, my metal was quite hard, hence the bend isn't as crisp. It's a tradeoff in any case - more dent resistant now. 

• 04-22-2011 2:38 AM In reply to

Okay, I understand. How much is your sheet thickness? Mine is .5mm (Gauge 23, .023")

Beovirus? What's that?

• 04-22-2011 5:43 AM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

A press brake will only give a clean line if the blade actually meets the "V" in the base of the former which won't normally happen in angles of less than 90 degrees. A much better option for this would be to find someone with a good old fashioned hand operated sheet metal bender where the sheet is clamped & just one side bent against an edge.

Egoh is correct - the thicker the metal the less chance of a sharp edge. In tight tolerances you also need to take the thickness of the metal into account when cutting for size. The thickness of the metal needs to be deducted from the overall measurement for each fold of 90 degrees or more.

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 04-22-2011 7:14 AM In reply to

barrie911 on  ebay tells me that he does replacement panels for Beovox 3000/4500/5000 which are made from the same type of stainless as original and he has also sourced transfers in the correct type face.

I have not seen them!

Perhaps one of you should contact him, it may save you time and money.

Regards Graham

• 04-22-2011 8:35 AM In reply to

• egoh
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-12-2011
    • Austin, Texas - USA
    • Posts 77
    • Gold Member

Leslie, I'm not sure of the gauge and it's hard to measure now since it's mounted. 

Medogsfat, thanks for the info. Helpful stuff for when I have my Penta panels fabricated.

Page 1 of 2 (37 items) 1 2 Next >