in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 08-26-2011 10:30 AM by lonelyraider. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-24-2011 1:06 PM

beocord 5500 problem

I just bought a beocord 5500 cassette deck from ebay and there seems to be something wrong with it. The front panel slides open and closes like it should and stand by light turns on. But if I put in a cassette and push play (or any other button), the lights in the front panel turn on for a couple of seconds and then power turns off completely. Does anybody know what could cause this? 

I do not have a din-rca adapter so I can't connect the deck to my amplifier. But the deck can't be so smart that it turns itself automatically off if not connected to a amplifier, or can it?

The seller claimed that the deck was working just fine when he sent it (but promised a refund if I send it back).

• 08-24-2011 1:53 PM In reply to

Re: beocord 5500 problem

I would say that you should send it back.

They are so cheap now that they are hardly worth getting repaired. Buy another and see if your luck changes.

Regards Graham

• 08-25-2011 2:49 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

Classic symptoms of perished belts. Most BC5500's will have this problem now so unless the seller has changed them you are likely to find the next one will have the same problems sooner or later. Member Dillen (Martin) can supply an excellent set of new along with fitting instructions.

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 08-26-2011 9:50 AM In reply to

Didn't send it back, instead I opened it. Apparently one of the engines was stuck (the one with the belt). Now the deck works just fine, but the engine won't stop spinning when power is on. Any ideas?

I also checked the belt, but didn't see anything wrong with it.

• 08-26-2011 9:59 AM In reply to

lonelyraider:
    Now the deck works just fine, but the engine won't stop spinning when power is on.

Stupidly, that seems to be by design in these shoe box Beocords! After you start the deck, the motor will just keep on running until the whole system is put on standby.

The motor not starting initially is a bit odd, but at least this non-stop thing should be normal.

-mika

• 08-26-2011 10:30 AM In reply to

Ok, good to know that!

I'll have to open the deck one more time and check the belt. Maybe it was the belt after all that caused the motor not to start.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)