in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 03-14-2011 11:45 AM by nmartin771. 22 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (23 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-13-2011 5:17 AM

BeoLab 1 ?

Hello to everyone Smile

I know it is the most common question here. I did my homework and search over net and beoworld but I need opinion.
    It is very hard to hear them before I buy, because I would need to order them from abroad ...

So, I have now BL8000 MKI with non B&O sub, sub is not that powerful, basically because I don't like toooo deep bass, but this sub add better stage and scene to BL8000. This sound I really like, enough, strong, sharp, precise .... for my ears very good though.

I'm thinking of getting pair of used BL1, they are quite ok with price these days, very B&O esthetically, and a way to powerful ...

Seeking for your opinion with BL1 ? First need to know do they really lack of deep bass ? because I don't want to use woofer ...

One more thing, which is really important, I need speakers ONLY for music, not movies !

I read here that if you like sound of bl8000 you will certainly love bl1 ?

Thanks Smile

when your Black Label begin to taste like juice just take shot or two of Absinthe and after that quench with some vodka, if you still feel juice like take beer with grappa !

• 02-13-2011 5:31 AM In reply to

Re: BeoLab 1 ?

I like Beolab 1s but they do have a very specific character. They give the impression of lacking ultimate bass, which as they use the same chassis as the Beolab 9 seems odd! However the bass unit is just not as big and the volume of the speaker is smaller. I suppose it shows that one big bass unit is better than two smaller ones. People do complain that the Beolab 1 can sound cold though it really is more like a big 8000 in that respect. They replaced the Penta at the top of the tree but never gained the older speakers popularity despite being better measuring in almost every way.

For music listening, I think they have plenty of bass - for movies you need a Beolab 2.

• 02-13-2011 5:57 AM In reply to

Doctor:
    For music listening, I think they have plenty of bass - for movies you need a Beolab 2.

Actually that was my question.

I need to trust to others opinion, because sadly I can't hear them ....

when your Black Label begin to taste like juice just take shot or two of Absinthe and after that quench with some vodka, if you still feel juice like take beer with grappa !

• 02-13-2011 7:00 AM In reply to

On another note, my wife liked the black ones which she said looked very elegant! Looked huge to me !

• 02-13-2011 1:51 PM In reply to

Yes they are huge. I hope their size are in correlation with sound ...

• 02-13-2011 2:23 PM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

I always ask people who are interested in buying BeoLab 1's - "what kind of music do you listen to, and at what volume?"

They're a unique speaker in their sound stage, best (in my opinion) suited to any music at low volume, but for medium to high volume they excel at acoustic and vocal, purely down to the fact that the bass begins to drop off and and gets outplayed by the midrange and top end when you crank them up.  The first time I heard the term 'shrieking' as a terminology made no sense at all - until I turned up a pair of BeoLab 1's very loud.

So..  vocal and acoustic at any volume - the BeoLab 1's are amazing.  Play R&B or any other genre with deep bass lines at volume and you'll be disappointed - until you add a BeoLab 2, where the whole thing becomes 'complete' and sounds amazing.

That's my opinion, for what it's worth.

Lee

Smile

BeoWorld - Everything Bang & Olufsen

• 02-13-2011 2:55 PM In reply to

Ive been listening to both 8000s and lab1s side by side today and would agree with Lee. The sound stage is bigger - wider than the 8000s and that only gets better with more volume. Vocals sit in the right place and live performances seem almost visiable in depth. With dance music where the above is not applicable the 1s do not sound as good as the tight punchy bass of the 8000mk2s. Adding a sub to the lab1s was an improvement but the bass although more in quantity was not as controlled as on the 8000s. ( i must say i did not crank the lab1s up pass 50). I think overall for a balanced speaker which plays music just the way it was recorded in a normal size room the 8000s win through for me. But if you are placing the lab1s in a large room and want to run them loud theres no doubt that the lab1s will have the extra headroom and once coupled with a lab2 will probably knock you off the couch!!

• 02-13-2011 4:27 PM In reply to

Hello Lee,

It is really hard for me, because I can't hear them. At the moment I'm lisen to 8000 and Martin Logan sub ( 120 rms ). And this combination is great for my taste. Only thing that run's me to change this system is sub, I don't like them ... even do they sound great together. My idea is to get same sound or little better but without sub, and BL 1 seams to me logical.

In the terms of music, I listen really wide range of genre from Jazz and Blues to hard rok and very hard Drum and Bass. But Lee you ask me good question, on which volume I listen music.
    So I'm usually listen music from 25-45, rarely I  go above 50. I really like quiet and rich sound, at 30 that I can hear everything, from deep bass to precise highs. Lack of bass in BL 8000 can't satisfied me at low volumes ...

Can I get that with BL1 ?

My room is around 5.5 m x 5m, and behind my listening position is my kichen which is 2.5m more ...

thanks Smile

• 02-13-2011 4:48 PM In reply to

• Russ
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-07-2007
    • Washington, DC USA
    • Posts 641
    • Bronze Member

Hi Martin,

I don't know if you have had the opportunity in the past to compare the 8000's which you bought to the 6000's.  If so, then I can tell you that at the time the BeoLab 1's first appeared, I thought they made the 8000's sound like little Pentas, and the 1's sounded like big 6000's.  

They are crisp, detailed, and image well.  Their bass is not heavy or thick, and I thought far more accurate that the Pentas.  I really liked them(but I did choose 6000's over 8000's myself).  In a smaller space, the bass is fine; but I can imagine that in a larger room they would sound thinner than the 9's do.

If the price is right, I reccommend them! 

We kid because we love.

Bang & Olufsen Tysons Galleria

McLean, VA USA

• 02-13-2011 4:58 PM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

In that case, i think you'll like the BeoLab 1 - your listening levels are pretty much spot on for them.

You'll hear clarity well above what you're already used to, plus notice an improvement in bass - albeit slight.  The music you listen to will take on a much clearer and real soundstage, so you'll be happy with them i'm sure. Go for it !!!

Lee

Smile

BeoWorld - Everything Bang & Olufsen

• 02-13-2011 5:58 PM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

I Bought a pair from Lifestyle AV without knowing what they sounded like, and it took me a while to adjust to the sound, because yes they have an amazing sound stage but their tone is a little out of whack compared to the amazing balance of the Beolab 4000. I now have Beolab 9's and now no longer miss the beolab 1's, but i had alot of fun with turning up live recordings on the BL1's they have A MASSIVE physical impact aurally, they are so punchy! Great fun, and if your room is relatively small, the bass will be sufficient in most cases.

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 02-14-2011 4:01 AM In reply to

Lee, I really appreciate your opinion, when you said "albeit slight" that's the thing that concern me, and because of that I'm that hesitant  Sad Thanks for your support Smile

Dave,

I remember when you bought them, you ware really satisfied and, as I remember, you compare them to yours BL4000. At that time you had BV3, if I'm not wrong. Also I remember you were not that satisfied with mid range on BL9 compare to BL1 ?

• 02-14-2011 8:03 AM In reply to

I had a pair of 1s that I liked very much. Then brought home a pair of 9s to compare. The difference was amazing and the 9s stayed. Interestingly, however, I then moved the 1s into another room. I now find myself choosing the 1s to listen to more than the 9s as something about the acoustics in the room they are now in makes them sound much better than they did in the first room. The room they are in now is smaller but with a taller ceiling.

Beovision 7-55 with Beolab 7-4, 9s and 4000s

Beovision 10-40 with Beolab 1s and 6000s

Beosound 1, 5, 2000, and 3000

Beotime, Beotalk, Beocoms

• 02-14-2011 2:29 PM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

I really want to hear a set of these! Anyone want to send me a set?! Haha

Evan

• 02-15-2011 5:24 AM In reply to

Evan:
    I really want to hear a set of these! Anyone want to send me a set?! Haha

I am first on the list Smile

• 02-15-2011 11:19 AM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

I'll just wait for my turn Niko :)

Evan

• 02-15-2011 8:25 PM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

I think you'll love them, go ahead, get a pair, there is a set at lifestyle! Your place isn't too big is it nmartin? Go for it!

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 02-15-2011 11:49 PM In reply to

• pf85
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-21-2007
    • Posts 145
    • Founder

Probably one of the best piece of craftmanship from B&O with the massive one piece light alloy body, iconic design, great performance with some tweaking of bass setting and BL2 (large rooms), excellent in smaller rooms without BL2 supplement. Also very nice for easy low volume listening (N.Radio or TV sound).
    They are not aging at all, very robust technology.

For me, true B&O. They may look imposing at first in a room however, you get used to them quickly ... like the pillars of Efesus...

Never regret to buy them.

• 03-03-2011 8:59 AM In reply to

• Bebs
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 06-08-2007
    • London & Denmark
    • Posts 47
    • Bronze Member

I think I'm in a position to comment on this.  I just purchased a pair of Lab1s from Lee to replace my Mrk1 8000s.

Like a number of people I hadn't actually heard the 1s before buying - I just liked the idea of the awesome design and tbh, how bad could they be compared to 8000s.. after all they were produced as a B&O top of the range speaker originally (pre Lab5s)

The sound and clarity of the 1s is absolutely unbelievable compared to 8000s. I don't think you can even compare them.. the 1s are just at a much much higher level.  Think BMW 520i compared to 540i. Vast reserves and no need to labour the engine uphill..  

The Lab1s quite honestly do things very very well.  I use a Lab2 for movies but tbh I don't think it is needed for music. 

Now, getting SWMBO to agree is an altogether different matter - I managed it by ordering the speakers and casually dropping into conversation one evening that Matt/Lee was coming round on Friday to swap speakers and that they looked 'pretty much the same' expect a little taller...  as much as I have tried, Lab5s appear to be out of the question style wise (watch this space) so I went for the next best thing (she doesn't like those little Pinguin (lab9) speakers either!

Finally, what I can say is, I've had complaints from neighbours after the 1s were installed (my fault obviously for using them properly!) and I never got even one complaint with the 8000s...  enough said I think  ;o)

• 03-14-2011 3:31 AM In reply to

On the end ..... I ordered BL 9 Cool

Now, waiting, waiting, waiting ........

• 03-14-2011 3:38 AM In reply to

Čestitamo!

Congratulations!

Big SmileWinkWhistle

BS 1, BeoCom 2, 2x LC 2, Form 2,  BS 2, BS 3, 2x Beo 4, BS 5, BM 5, BL 5,Beo 6, BS 6, 2x A8, BV 8-40, BL 8000, 3x A9 Keyring, Serenata, BeoTime, BeoTalk 400

• 03-14-2011 9:55 AM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

Alright! Congratulations Niko!

Evan

• 03-14-2011 11:45 AM In reply to

Thanks Evan ! Smile

Thanks Alen ! Yes -  thumbs up

Page 1 of 1 (23 items)