in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-16-2011 1:27 PM by slowpat. 27 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-05-2010 11:02 PM

Beogram 4002 Arm Not Lifting

I have a Beogram whose arm drops on power and does not lift when pressing the cue button or at the record end grooves.

The arm is able to slide and returns back up after power down.

Any ideas where I should look for fault?

Thanks

• 07-06-2010 7:54 AM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

Re: Beogram 4002 Arm Not Lifting

When you "power up and down", is that the mains plug you refer to ?
    At the end of a record, does the carriage move to the right, dragging the tonearm across the record or is it
    merely sitting forever at the leadout groove ?

Martin

• 07-06-2010 12:08 PM In reply to

Yes I am referring to the main plug turning the unit off.

At the end of a record, the carriage moves right, dragging the tonearm and cartridge across the record; not good for record or expensive cartridge.

Thanks for your response

Tom

• 07-12-2010 5:10 AM In reply to

• geearr
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-27-2008
    • Gold Coast, Australia
    • Posts 301
    • Gold Member

Tom

Can you provide the Type number for your BG4002, I am interested whether it is the earlier or later version.  If it is the later version, I might be able to help you.

Regards

Geoff

• 07-12-2010 5:11 PM In reply to

geearr:

Tom

Can you provide the Type number for your BG4002, I am interested whether it is the earlier or later version.  If it is the later version, I might be able to help you.

Regards

Geoff

I believe that the carriage module of the 400x series remained unalted through all 8 years of production :)

Beocenter 9300, Beogam CD50, Beocord 5500, Beomaster 3400, Beomaster 4400, 2 Beogram 4000, Beomaster 8000, 2 beogram 8002, Beovox S-75, Beovox MS150.2, Beovox RL6000, Beovox S-35, Beomaster 6000, 2 Beocord 9000, Beocord 8004, Beocord 5000, Form 1, 2x Beolink 1000, Beo4, MX3500, LS4500. Born 1993.

• 07-12-2010 11:27 PM In reply to

• geearr
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-27-2008
    • Gold Coast, Australia
    • Posts 301
    • Gold Member

Søren Hammer:

I believe that the carriage module of the 400x series remained unalted through all 8 years of production :)

You may well be right and the mechanical parts are probably similar.  However, my particular version is Type 550x and the circuit diagrams show several differences when compared to Type 551x.  I have never worked with the latter series.

Thanks for your input

Regards

Geoff

• 07-12-2010 11:35 PM In reply to

Wow, I am having same problem with my early 4002, the one with the smaller capstan, type 5523.  The cartridge arm is drooping and when the turntable is activated it moves across the entire record as if no record is present and then returns all the way back to the off position.  The lamp on the control arm is on but maybe it isn't bright enough any more?  Obviously I pulled the cartridge out so it won't be destroyed, and I have lubricated the solenoid but am not sure what to do next.  Have removed the panels but not sure how to take the dust cover off.

Not trying to hi-jack this thread but it sounds so similar maybe we have the same problem.

Thanks

Steve in Culver City.

• 07-13-2010 3:17 AM In reply to

Not sure I can help with the actual problem, but the dust cover is easy - feel under the rear corners of the deck and you'll find two holes, and in the bottom of them a screw (largish flat blade). Loosen them a bit and the lugs keeping the lid (and the entire top rear cover of the deck) will loosen as well, then the lid just slides off to the back.

OPEN THE LID FIRST as the springs will otherwise flip the hinge open with horrible force sooner or later (don't ask how I know Embarrassed )

-mika

• 07-14-2010 1:52 PM In reply to

• yachadm
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-24-2007
    • Jerusalem, Israel
    • Posts 687
    • Bronze Member

Tom,

Take a look on Page 3 at Section 3 - Zero balancing the tone arm.

http://www.condoraudio.com/wp-content/uploads/Projects/BeoGram-4002-6000-Turntable-Restoration-Repair.pdf

It shows how to balance the arm - that's what I would do for starters on this problem.

Menahem

Learn from the mistakes of others - you'll not live long enough to make them all yourself!

• 07-18-2010 3:18 PM In reply to

Mine is type 4002 5523 if that helps.

• 07-18-2010 3:26 PM In reply to

I found out how to remove the platter, but how do I remove the rest of the metallic top?

• 07-18-2010 3:43 PM In reply to

If you have the platter off but the rest is still there, you have climbed the tree bass ackwards Smile

See here for the correct disassembly procedure.

-mika

• 02-14-2011 5:00 PM In reply to

• slowpat
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-14-2011
    • California USA
    • Posts 7
    • Bronze Member

yachadm:

Tom,

Take a look on Page 3 at Section 3 - Zero balancing the tone arm.

http://www.condoraudio.com/wp-content/uploads/Projects/BeoGram-4002-6000-Turntable-Restoration-Repair.pdf

It shows how to balance the arm - that's what I would do for starters on this problem.

Menahem

Hi all - I know this thread is from last year, so if I should start my own thread, please let me know.  I have the arm lowering problem, so I followed Menahem's procedure on lubricating the solenoid, the levers and the damper shaft, so the arm lowers appropriately now at 1 second's time.  My problem is that when it reaches the end of the record or STOP/LIFT is pressed, the solenoid shaft returns slowly, thus the damper releases slowly, and the arm raises slowly - about 5 seconds.  That's too long as the arm and needle is dragged across the record.  Is the solenoid supposed to snap back into position as fast as how it snaps outward?  If so, what am I missing?  Thanks everyone...

• 02-15-2011 1:50 AM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

Yes, the solenoid is supposed to snap back rapidly.
    The mechanics around it should do the same. The raising of the tonearm should
    be an almost instant smack, much faster than the lowering.
    Are you sure that all the springs are on correctly ?
    Did you lubricate the point inside the carriage head ?

Martin

• 02-15-2011 4:05 AM In reply to

• Step1
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-06-2008
    • Manchester
    • Posts 961
    • Gold Member

Just thought I would throw in my pennys worth in!

I had this problem with a 4002. It was almost as if there was a residual current holding the solenoid in and if you slightly helped the arm release everything would snap back in place like it should! Measurements revealed no voltage at sol terminals, all the lubrication in the world didn't help with this one and I was puzzled. Sometimes it would be 5 minutes before the arm snapped back up. However it would generally do this quickly when it happened.

I found the problem when looking through the setup proceedures in the manual. Making sure the lower solenoid arm was parallel to the lower PCB when energised actually solved this problem and the deck has been fine since!

Olly.

• 02-15-2011 7:56 AM In reply to

• chartz
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-20-2009
    • Burgundy
    • Posts 984
    • Gold Member

Step1:

Just thought I would throw in my pennys worth in!

I had this problem with a 4002. It was almost as if there was a residual current holding the solenoid in and if you slightly helped the arm release everything would snap back in place like it should! Measurements revealed no voltage at sol terminals, all the lubrication in the world didn't help with this one and I was puzzled. Sometimes it would be 5 minutes before the arm snapped back up. However it would generally do this quickly when it happened.

I found the problem when looking through the setup proceedures in the manual. Making sure the lower solenoid arm was parallel to the lower PCB when energised actually solved this problem and the deck has been fine since!

Very interesting. Hence the importance of scrupulously following the manual!

However both my 4002 and 4000 behaved like Tom's and it was a lubrication problem.

Menahem forgot to mention the L-shaped arm which actually transmits the solenoid movement to the arm lift.

Unfortunately this has to be dimantled and cleaned too prior to lubricating. See this.

But Olly's lead is very interesting indeed, and perhaps you should check this first!

Jacques

• 02-15-2011 11:42 AM In reply to

• slowpat
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-14-2011
    • California USA
    • Posts 7
    • Bronze Member

The springs are on correctly just like the photo in the write up.  However, I have not lubricated the point inside the carriage head nor the take out the lever at the pivot point with the c-clip by the damper to have a thorough cleaning, so those two items will be next.  The behavior I am seeing is that the solenoid shaft shoots out when energized, but when STOP is pressed, it DOES NOT snap back in, but rather acted like a damper, and just slowly goes back in.  Perhaps no voltage was applied to the solenoid at that point?  I'll need to re-read the service manual and Menahem's write up.  Thanks.

• 02-15-2011 12:14 PM In reply to

• chartz
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-20-2009
    • Burgundy
    • Posts 984
    • Gold Member

slowpat:
     The behavior I am seeing is that the solenoid shaft shoots out when energized, but when STOP is pressed, it DOES NOT snap back in, but rather acted like a damper, and just slowly goes back in.  

Exactly!Smile 

It is not quite stuck (hardened old grease) and the spring isn't powerful enough to call it back as it should! So it will come back but slowly, as if damped.

You need to remove  the front lever and clean its bearing first (I use white spirit) in and out, then apply fresh Singer oil. Don't think that just a drop of oil on top will do! You really have to take the thing off... The old grease is caked and actually acts as a very good sealing agent! Sad See my post. 

Then if that's not enough, same operation on the L-shaped lever.

I insist on the fact that you MUST use a special tool for the circlips though!

Jacques

• 02-15-2011 12:32 PM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

Yes, these two points (plus the one in the carriage) are most prone to seizing up:

Note that this Beogram differs from the one shown in the linked page, it does not have
    the left side switch etc. but the tonearm mechs are basically the same.

And I agree on using a proper circlip tool. It WILL fly across the room.

Martin

• 02-15-2011 12:41 PM In reply to

• slowpat
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-14-2011
    • California USA
    • Posts 7
    • Bronze Member

chartz:

It is not quite stuck (hardened old grease) and the spring isn't powerful enough to call it back as it should! So it will come back but slowly, as if damped.

Then if that's not enough, same operation on the L-shaped lever.

I insist on the fact that you MUST use a special tool for the circlips though!

Will do...and you're so correct because I put Singer oil on the L-shaped lever and thought all was well, but eventually, had to take it out, and it was caked up and took some effort to come up.  After cleaning the hole and the pin, oiled, and reassembled, it was swinging like night and day. 

And yes...I have a c-clip tool, and I'll put a net around the work place to catch that c-clip...Smile  Thanks...

• 02-15-2011 12:43 PM In reply to

• slowpat
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-14-2011
    • California USA
    • Posts 7
    • Bronze Member

Dillen:

Yes, these two points (plus the one in the carriage) are most prone to seizing up:

Note that this Beogram differs from the one shown in the linked page, it does not have
    the left side switch etc. but the tonearm mechs are basically the same.

Martin

Thanks Martin - can't take shortcuts when degreasing those pivot points, eh?  Smile

• 02-15-2011 12:44 PM In reply to

• chartz
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-20-2009
    • Burgundy
    • Posts 984
    • Gold Member

Mine looks like this (made in Germany):

Jacques

• 02-15-2011 12:48 PM In reply to

• yachadm
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-24-2007
    • Jerusalem, Israel
    • Posts 687
    • Bronze Member

You guys are doing such a great job, I'll just watch from the sidelines!

Learn from the mistakes of others - you'll not live long enough to make them all yourself!

• 02-16-2011 12:02 AM In reply to

Dillen:

Martin

These circlips are called, Jesus Christ, because thats what you say when they get wingsBig Smile

Beosound 3000, BL 4000, BL 8000, BG 2404,BG 5000, BG CD50, Beocord 5000, BM 901, BM 2400, BM 4000, BV S45, BV 3702. There is nothing we cannot do, but a lot of things we don't want to do!!

• 02-16-2011 12:40 AM In reply to

• slowpat
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-14-2011
    • California USA
    • Posts 7
    • Bronze Member

WELL...I am a BELIEVER!!!!     I used my c-clip tool to remove the clip and took out the lever, and sure enough, the old grease was caked up in there.  The Singer oil drop I applied a few days ago was just floating on top of the pin, and never traveled down.  Cleaned up the pin and the hole in the lever, applied Singer oil and put everything back, and the tone arm snaps right back up everytime now...

Thanks to everyone for your advices and Menahem for publishing that great guide!!! 

Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 1 2 Next >