in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-20-2011 7:21 AM by Dillen. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-05-2007 4:30 PM

• SDB
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 06-22-2007
    • Posts 31
    • Bronze Member

AAarrghh!! Bad case of the Beocenter 2200 blues ...

I just bought (on a well-known auction site whose name will not be mentioned - ptui!) a Beocenter 2200 in "excellent vintage" condition, just "serviced professionally."

I even sent them the original box for my old Beocenter 2200 and all packing materials and instructions. They ignored all, stuffed the thing in the box and used part of the styrofoam to pad the separate box carrying the speakers (non-B&O) ...

Anyway ... the tape deck doesn't work. In any direction, in runs for approx. 2 seconds, then shuts off.

When the tonearm is "Paused" and returned to the record by clicking "Pause" again, the turntable slows way down, then takes about 2-3 seconds to return to speed ... doesn't bode well, does it?

The tuner seems OK. Both channels work. Presets are "iffy" ...

So ... anyone knowledgeable and willing to make some educated guesses here?

This was to be a sentimental, nostalgic gift for my wife ... I'm bummed.

I'd even be interested in hearing of anyone known to service Beocenter 2200's ...

Help? Please?

(And please ... go easy on the abuse. I know I've been a dummy ...)

• 07-05-2007 4:51 PM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

Re: AAarrghh!! Bad case of the Beocenter 2200 blues ...

Tapedeck; Do both reels rotate in the 2 seconds it plays or only one ?
    Is the sound OK while playing ?
    If only one reel is moving (the left one), the transport mechanism is bad and the deck will need repair or replacement.
    If both rotate it could be a sign that the belt for the motion sensor is no good or missing. The rest of the belts (3 in total) will then also be bad or at least marginal.
    I have new belts and mounting instructions.

Turntable; Probably also in need of a new belt (which I don't have).

FM presets; If not used often, they tend to oxidate slightly.
    This is very common and a few trips up and down the whole frequency range usually clears things up.
    The same goes for the large tuning dial if not used regularly.

You don't tell where you're from. I can service it for you but I'm in Denmark.

Martin

• 07-05-2007 5:01 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

If you brought this item on Ebay, then you should be able to report it. You have not recieved it in the condition it was advertised. not sure about other auction sites though.

CraigBig Smile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 07-05-2007 5:05 PM In reply to

• SDB
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 06-22-2007
    • Posts 31
    • Bronze Member

Thanks, Martin, for the very helpful reply. You also left a very helpful one in my other post about the S45's.

I'm on the East Coast of US - near Washington, D.C.

Both drives move, so I guess that's good news. And yes, there's sound from both channels for those two seconds. Can't really tell if the sound  is "good" ... but both channels are there. 

Would you say the belt replacement for the tape deck is a professional job, or could a person with ten thumbs - like me - do it? Cassettes are not a big part of my wife's listening, but it'd still be nice to get it working. 

Thanks again, Martin. If I were in Denmark, this 2200 would be on your doorstep in a flash!

SDB

• 07-05-2007 5:07 PM In reply to

• SDB
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 06-22-2007
    • Posts 31
    • Bronze Member

Craig ... bingo!

I'm in conversation with the seller, who has an excellent rep on the site, but usually does not deal in electronics.

I think the seller was misled and in turn misled me.

A bad scene all the way around ... and probably my fault for being so optimistic and ... yeah ... "naive."

Doh! 

• 02-20-2011 7:02 AM In reply to

Hi Martin,

Having just joined BeoWorld and posted a message requesting help with a problem relating to my tape drive, I now see from the 2007 exchange of notes that at that time you had the answer to the problem I now have!

Can the belts still be obtained in Denmark?

Also if you still have the mounting instructions, a copy would be much appreciated.

I look forwaed to your reply.

chasdoug.

• 02-20-2011 7:21 AM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

Chasdoug,

Welcome to Beoworld !

Yes, belts are still available and instructions can be included.
    You have a PM.

Martin

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)