in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 04-07-2011 10:08 PM by Evan. 21 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (22 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-28-2010 5:29 AM

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

MPEG=4 Files

Just discovered that the Windows Media Player 11 and 12 will play MPEG=4 files. Just transferred some files onto the PC. However I cannot get Beoplayer to find them. Is there a way around this? Or will I neeed to convert them to either MP3 off WMA files first?

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 12-28-2010 5:34 AM In reply to

• Spiros
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 09-03-2007
    • Thessaloniki GREECE
    • Posts 1,088
    • Gold Member

Re: MPEG=4 Files

Hi Craig, Have you already tried to place the files in the Photo folder of Windows (My photos/My pictures)?

Best regards

Spiros

• 12-28-2010 6:03 AM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Hi Spiros, I have placed them with all my other music files. They are also filed in the same way as all my other music files. In a folder for each artist. Even rescanned my harddrives too, they still wont show up.

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 12-28-2010 6:22 AM In reply to

• Spiros
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 09-03-2007
    • Thessaloniki GREECE
    • Posts 1,088
    • Gold Member

oupps. Sorry I thought they were Video files!!

Best regards

Spiros

• 12-28-2010 6:47 AM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Confusingly no, they are music tracks from itunes. Just thought that if WMP could play them, they would show up in Beoplayer.

CraigSmile

• 12-28-2010 6:52 AM In reply to

• Spiros
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 09-03-2007
    • Thessaloniki GREECE
    • Posts 1,088
    • Gold Member

Maybe you should install certain codecs to your WMP? Some times it could be this the solution.

Best regards

Spiros

• 12-28-2010 7:32 AM In reply to

• Electrified
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-05-2009
    • Greater Copenhagen, Denmark
    • Posts 404
    • Bronze Member

There's nothing confusing about it, imo. MPEG-4 format consist of different parts. One of them being an audio codec. MPEG-2 is more or less the same deal: It has video and audio parts as well (MP3 is different, as it's essentially the audio part of the MPEG-2 format).

If I recall correctly, the mp4s from iTunes - or at least some of them - have an m4a-suffix (for "Mpeg-4 Audio"), and it might be that suffix alone causing the problems.

Does WMP11 and 12 play Apple Lossless? I ask, because if your files are Apple's lossless versions with their .m4a suffix, that might be a problem in itself.

• 12-28-2010 7:56 AM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

WMP 11 & 12 will play back the files no problem at all. Not sure if they are lossless or not though.

CraigSmile

• 12-28-2010 8:03 AM In reply to

• Electrified
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-05-2009
    • Posts 404
    • Bronze Member

Craig:

WMP 11 & 12 will play back the files no problem at all. Not sure if they are lossless or not though.

CraigSmile

If you check the bit-rate, it would normally hit between 600 and 1000kbps if its lossless. 320 or lower, and it's lossy.

What about the suffix of the actual files? Is it ".m4a" or ".mp4"?

• 12-28-2010 8:08 AM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Just checked and the bitrate is between 265 and 275 kbps, the file are ".m4a"

CraigSmile

• 12-28-2010 8:17 AM In reply to

• Electrified
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-05-2009
    • Posts 404
    • Bronze Member

Craig:

Just checked and the bitrate is between 265 and 275 kbps, the file are ".m4a"

CraigSmile

Super, so it's at least ordinary mp4 files. It seems there's two choices left:

a) check to see if you can get Beoplayer to read the files, if you change the extension to ".mp4" instead of the ".m4a" it is now. If that works, you could change everything to that (by using a batch renamer), or

b) install some codec that allow it play .m4a files.

If you go with b, I'd be looking for an "AAC Codec" in google, but since I don't have beoplayer installed, I don't know where you should put such a codec to make beoplayer take advantage of it.

• 12-28-2010 8:18 AM In reply to

• Electrified
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-05-2009
    • Posts 404
    • Bronze Member

I found the following which might help:

http://www.mediacodec.org/

• 12-28-2010 10:51 AM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Thanks for the link. Although I don't think I need to install ant codecs. As WMP will play thye files on it's own woth no issues at all. Think the problem may be that Beoplayer does not scan for MP4 files, only MP3 and WMA files. Thibnk ill just use the rip the original CD's to my PC. Just thought it would be quicker to copy the actual files.

CraigSmile

• 02-28-2011 9:27 PM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

I was just grappling with .m4a fles last night. Mine are all from the Apple FLAC Lossless ripper on itunes.

I picked up a new HTC smartphone yesterday and found out it plays .m4a files - but only kind of. One album played straight away, no problem. So I loaded two more albums on but no go this time.

Sounds like the bit rate problem for me. The first album was 128 (ripped before I knew what lossless was!), and the other two were lossless @ 900+ kbps.

Evan

• 03-04-2011 3:05 AM In reply to

• kimhav
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-03-2007
    • Sweden
    • Posts 127
    • Bronze Member

You might consider installing the Combined Community Codec Pack or XP Codec Pack - I would go for the later one - to get support for additional codecs that the system missing.

• 03-09-2011 8:36 AM In reply to

• Electrified
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-05-2009
    • Posts 404
    • Bronze Member

Evan:
    Mine are all from the Apple FLAC Lossless ripper on itunes.

There is no such thing. It's either ALAC (Apple Lossles Audio Codec) or FLAC (Free Lossless Audio Codec) Wink

If you used itunes on a Mac, it's Apple Lossless, if the itunes is the Windows version, you get the bonus of converting to and from WMA, including WMA Lossless.

Evan:
    Sounds like the bit rate problem for me. The first album was 128 (ripped before I knew what lossless was!), and the other two were lossless @ 900+ kbps.

No, it's probably a format problem. Many phones don't play lossless formats, but only lossy ones. They are different formats, even if they share the same extension or even parts of the name.

• 03-09-2011 4:05 PM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

I am a bit behind as far as formats.

I use a windows machine.

So is WMA the best? haha Laughing I really have no idea! But I am tired of being restricted to the Apples.

Evan

• 03-09-2011 4:28 PM In reply to

• Electrified
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-05-2009
    • Posts 404
    • Bronze Member

Evan:

I am a bit behind as far as formats.

I use a windows machine.

So is WMA the best? haha Laughing I really have no idea! But I am tired of being restricted to the Apples.

All lossless file formats are the same when we speak of quality (i.e. they are all "lossless", so no loss compared to each other or compared to the original uncompressed file) The PCM - the audio data - is the same, bit-for-bit.

I prefer flac, but there are practical reasons for me to that end: My recorder does flac, Squeezebox streams in flac and my favourite music library uses flac natively (Winamp).

The nice thing about lossless formats is that you can convert back and forth, and you won't loose any quality at all as they are lossless.

So, in short, whatever works for you.  If you feel you have more practical use out of wma lossless, use that, if it's Flac, go for that, and if it's Apple's version, use that. 

• 03-09-2011 7:15 PM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

See I don't even know what works with what. So I am not even sure of what I am missing out on.

I am well intgrated into iTunes and iPods. Lots of AAC files in addition to Apple Lossless in my library.

I eventually do want to get a music server but have no idea of how to go about it. Something like the BeoMedia 1, where I can control it with my Beo4. My parents seem to keep talking about streaming in Netflix etc...

Where to start...

Evan

• 03-09-2011 7:22 PM In reply to

• Electrified
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-05-2009
    • Posts 404
    • Bronze Member

Well, if you're very integrated with iTunes/iPods etc., continue to use Apples Lossless until and if you find a need to use another format. If you use any of the lossless formats, you can change your mind down the line.  We don't have netflix around here, but as they are movies (aren't they?) they really have no bearing on what you use for your music.

Many people I know use one of the lossless formats at home, and use a lossy format (Mp3, MP4/AAC, or WMA (not the lossless)) for their iPods and other music players on the go.

That way, you have a proper future proof backup of all your stuff (the lossless).

I think it's prudent to tell you that if you start with a lossy format, no amount of converting to lossless will bring back what has been lost.

• 04-07-2011 10:06 PM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

Evening Electrified,

Apologies for taking so long to get back around to this. Busy busy...

I realize that the Netflix wont have any bearing on the way I listen to music in terms of file formats, I feel like it would in terms of hardware. The scenario would be to have a device that would manage both.

But since we last talked, there has been a development!! My father wanted me to go and solve this Netflix thing for him and choose a web>tv streaming device for him. I ended up choosing the Boxee Box Smile

So with the Netflix account being managed through that awesome htpc, I don't have to worry about merging the two needs.

Happy Day! Laughing

Evan

• 04-07-2011 10:08 PM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

And for the matter of my mobile listening;

Its convenient for me to rip in Apple Lossless since my iPod is able to play back those files. Albeit only up to 320kbps.

Evan

Page 1 of 1 (22 items)