in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 10-24-2010 4:08 PM by BeoFab. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-21-2010 12:39 PM

B&O in the age of Austerity

This spoof article came out after the UK government announced its austerity package.

It includes this on B&O:

Meanwhile, as the effects of the spending cuts become clear, Britain's middle classes last night expressed an interest in buying a f***ing great rottweiler.

Julian Cook, an architect from Finsbury Park, said: "I do think the cuts are necessary, but at the same time I've got a very nice Bang and Olufsen stereo. To a hungry poor person that will take on the appearance of a delicious roast chicken, fresh from the oven, a bit like when Sylvester the Cat looks at Tweety Pie. And that's when I deploy this terrifying ***."

End quote

The way the economy is going this is somehow not as funny as intended but it demonstrates yet again B&O's position in the public eye. What other name could you substitute for B&O in that sentence for it to have the same effect?

Graham

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure. [W C Fields]

• 10-22-2010 7:45 AM In reply to

• Dude1
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 09-18-2007
    • London
    • Posts 189
    • Bronze Member

Re: B&O in the age of Austerity

I happen to think most of the new products are rather 'austere'.

• 10-22-2010 11:13 AM In reply to

I don't think that: Lois Vuitton, Prada, Jimmy Choo, Bentley, Rolls Royce, Ferrari....etc. are doomed.

In the other side of the spectrum not everybody buys their stuff in Wallmart.

My point is if there is a need...or let me rephased that...if there is someone willing to pay for it, somebdoy will make it...for a profit.

Capitalism at its best.

I honestly find much more disturbing that something as intangible as Facebook is worth billions...

• 10-22-2010 7:19 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

BeoFab:

I honestly find much more disturbing that something as intangible as Facebook is worth billions...

I couldn't agree more, especially as it is a rather rubbish "product" in any case. Rife with weirdo's & scammers and not very well policed - which is probably the reason for its continued success.

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 10-23-2010 1:12 AM In reply to

• Spiros
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 09-03-2007
    • Thessaloniki GREECE
    • Posts 1,088
    • Gold Member

Re: B

Totally agree on this too.

Best regards

Spiros

• 10-23-2010 3:51 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

BeoFab:

It's not intangible at all. It's worth billions simply for the amount of advertising revenue you can earn from the site. I was shocked yesterday when someone told me one of our sites generated £25,000 in advertising revenue (for one of our partners) in August, due to it receiving 500,000 page impressions.

Ramp up those 500,000 page impressions and you can then see why it's a goldmine in ad revenue, amongst other assets.

• 10-23-2010 9:23 PM In reply to

moxxey:

BeoFab:

It's not intangible at all. It's worth billions simply for the amount of advertising revenue you can earn from the site. I was shocked yesterday when someone told me one of our sites generated £25,000 in advertising revenue (for one of our partners) in August, due to it receiving 500,000 page impressions.

Ramp up those 500,000 page impressions and you can then see why it's a goldmine in ad revenue, amongst other assets.

Yeah, for sure a "goldmine" and a great "stream of advertising revenue" (please don't take it personally) but you had to use so many words to explain what it is that still sounds very intangible for me. 

And the best part is since this is not a public company yet we really only can speculate about the cashflow that it generates. Could be billions or could be they are just using up the money seed given by several hedge funds, who knows.

• 10-24-2010 4:35 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

BeoFab:

...what it is that still sounds very intangible for me. 

Not really. Advertising through the iPhone and other devices is going to be worth billions, something else you'd find intangible (or, perhaps, can't get your head around it?), but it's still a massive growth area.

In many respects, you'd probably say hedge funds and what a lot of the City guys doing is "intangible", as they make a lot of virtual money, by speculating.

It's just a modern way of making money. Just because you can't touch an object, doesn't mean it should haven't a value.

• 10-24-2010 4:08 PM In reply to

Agree 100%.

But do not loss sight of the main subject of the thread that pictured the image of B&O almost as a"shameless luxury". And I say well I rather give my money and see flourishing and prospering a company that after all gives me a great tangible pleasure rather than another (and that's is my personal opinion) "bubble" in their way to explode as in my point of view is Facebook. 

In the other hand money talks, it doesn't need to be rational or even useful. So "the money guys" need to find the "next big thing" in order to ....make more money. Today is called Facebook in a few months could be something else.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)