in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 05-06-2011 3:36 AM by mbee. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-02-2011 4:12 PM

• NilsW
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 03-03-2009
    • Posts 4
    • Bronze Member

Sonos integration ...With BeoLab only ?

Hi,

I am an old B&O user, still have use (music) products daily, however I have moved to a new apartment that do not have any link cables installed.

my idea have been to use that Sonos ZP90 system as a link and pre-amp instead, as I am sad to say that i stopped investing in B&O products when two way communication was dropped.

Anyway, I had my hopes that my BeoLab 8000 was going to be able as work as stand-alone active speakers by using the mono line-in RCA connector on the back of the speakers. today I've tried this but the speakers do not power-up from the signal in only.

of course it all works if I connect the sonos  line-out to the Aux on the BeoCenter, but I had hoped that did not have to start the B&O system if just using the Sonos services.

Filed under:
  • 05-02-2011 7:05 PM In reply to

• mbee
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • Paris, France
    • Posts 1,133
    • Bronze Member

Re: Sonos integration ...With BeoLab only ?

It shouldn't be difficult : It just seems that you forgot to change the switch on each Beolab from their initial "R" or "L" position to "LINE"...

I'm using a ZP90 with beolabs only with a pair of 8000 and 3 in another room, it works like a charm. You can even do something B&O does not do anymore (without buying a Beotime) : wake up alarm by turning on your system to play a specific song on any net radio, you can even program it to wake you up from monday to friday, and staying off on week ends...Wink

Concerning wireless, I can't say it's perfect, as the "Sonosnet" is only based on 802.11g, which means low range and a high probability of drop downs if you live in a big house or an area saturated by wifi networks... I recommend using a wired LAN network with Sonos.

• 05-03-2011 3:08 AM In reply to

• NilsW
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 03-03-2009
    • Posts 4
    • Bronze Member

Thanks mbee, you were correct...it was just to flick the switch on the back of the speaker to line-in.

however, I do see two small problems with this solution.

1. the speakers is powered on all the time then or do they go into stand-by after XX minutes if there is no signal in ?

2. in this first room I tried this I have a beocenter, and if flicking the speaker switch to line-in, the BL8000 will no longer work with the BeoCenter. the reason I like to still have this is that my other family members are used to operate the B&O, but do think that a Sonon only solution will be an overkill especially for the small kids they will lack the simplicity of just starting a CD.

so right now I connected the Sonos back to the Aux-in on the BeoCenter, as this is possible the best compromise right now.

however when I start setting up the other rooms, I will most likely use the BeoLabs line in, however if the BL's never go into stand-by then I feel worried about that they will break if powered-on 24/7.

I am still a bit confused about the Sonos menus, and think they remind me of older PC music players or iTunes that I stopped using some years ago in favour of streaming services like Spotify that have a much easier and user friendly interface.

Thank you for your help, much appreciated

Best Regards from Stockholm 

• 05-03-2011 3:23 AM In reply to

• Daniel
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Svinarp, Sweden
    • Posts 1,284
    • Founder

NilsW:

1. the speakers is powered on all the time then or do they go into stand-by after XX minutes if there is no signal in ?

They will power off after a few minutes without signal.

Beovision LX5500, BeoCord V6000, BeoSound 9000, BeoLab 8000, BeoLab 3500, BeoLab 2000, BeoVox1, BeoCom 6000, Form1, LightControl 1

• 05-03-2011 4:25 AM In reply to

Indeed, the normal stand-by time in line-in mode is 3 minutes on all BeoLabs.

Reunion Island is greeting you!

• 05-03-2011 5:02 AM In reply to

• mbee
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • Paris, France
    • Posts 1,133
    • Bronze Member

You're right about the connections : it's impossible to directly connect beolabs via Powerlink AND line and get automatic switching, you have to change the switch position.

And you're right about the menus of Sonos : not the best possible interface, but one of the best systems available (we will see if the app linked to Beosound5 Encore and BeoNet pushes music management to a next level... I hope so).

Have you tried to use Sonos with an iPad? It's the best interface for Sonos : you just have to drag an album or track (or radio) to a room, and it starts playing. Honestly, I didn't liked very much Sonos until I started using it via iPad. Way better now.

• 05-03-2011 5:27 AM In reply to

• NilsW
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 03-03-2009
    • Posts 4
    • Bronze Member

Thank You Daniel, Crisrenuinion, mbee, 

good straight answers, 

mbee, you have read my mind, I am an Andriod user, and even have a 7" pad, but as it show the same "display" as for a small device it is not a much better solution than using my Andriod handsets, however the fonts get larger, and that is positive as I am now so damn old that I need reading glasses if to small font. I have been thinking of buying a second hand iPad as a Sonos controller, as the display real estate is so much better.

I am not a pro-Apple guy as I am against big corporations deciding for me as well as like to have their long fingers into my wallet...OK Google is not the good guys either that they try to present themselves as...Yes I know I am maybe a complex person, not having a problem buying (overly) expensive B&O equipment and then complain about sending a few bucks to Apple. it all proably comes down to that I have an issue with people claiming that they "invented" things that they clearly did not....yes my profession is in R&D...maybe that is why I am so silly about Apple. never had the feeling that B&O tried to "lure" me into anything and that is why I have been support them through the years even though it was a while back since I purchased any significant B&O equipment. sorry for the ranting....it just came out...OK...I will get my act together...don't want to start a fire here at Beoworld as I can clearly see that a lot of Beoworld members prefer and like Apple products....so I shut up...Hahha...finally

• 05-03-2011 5:38 AM In reply to

• madskp
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-06-2007
    • Denmark
    • Posts 111
    • Gold Member

mbee:

Concerning wireless, I can't say it's perfect, as the "Sonosnet" is only based on 802.11g, which means low range and a high probability of drop downs if you live in a big house or an area saturated by wifi networks... I recommend using a wired LAN network with Sonos.

All the newer sonos units (ZP90, ZP10 and S5) are using Sonosnet 2.0 which is based on 802.11n which should provide a good range http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonos#Wireless_mesh_network It doesn't say if it is 802.11n on 2.4 ghz or 5.0 ghz. If it is on the 2.4 ghz the there could be interference form other equipment.

I however have never experieced a dropout on my Sonos system which have som of the older units with 802.11g network.  

• 05-03-2011 5:57 AM In reply to

• NilsW
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 03-03-2009
    • Posts 4
    • Bronze Member

madskp & mbee

I will only use Sonos IF it can be wireless...don't want to go back to cables.

I am a newbie to Sonos, but I think you can also alter the 802.11g frequence if inteferece exists...maybe it is not enough

If there will be some dropouts I can (probably) live with that...

I got tired of High-end Hi-Fi as my life-style is far from sitting planted in a sofa where the sound quality "sweet spot" is, I move about, sound shall be OK in most rooms / places...Perfect in one spot only is not for me, I actually "downgraded" my High-end stereo system to my B&O and BL8000 many years ago as it worked better for me, as well as I had a B&O link system to other rooms installed.

• 05-03-2011 9:19 AM In reply to

• mbee
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • Paris, France
    • Posts 1,133
    • Bronze Member

madskp:
    All the newer sonos units (ZP90, ZP10 and S5) are using Sonosnet 2.0 which is based on 802.11n which should provide a good range http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonos#Wireless_mesh_network It doesn't say if it is 802.11n on 2.4 ghz or 5.0 ghz. If it is on the 2.4 ghz the there could be interference form other equipment.

I was sure that Sonosnet 2.0 was 802.11g only... That's good news. Concerning my system, there is not a long distance from the zone bridge to the ZP90 (I'm also trying a S5 : good for its price, not in the same league as B&O. Good for kitchen, bathroom or... Toilets!), but I think I'm in the most difficult area on earth concerning wifi : there are at least 30 networks reachable anywhere in my flat (never the same), and even cell phones network completely drop down some days of the week due to too much calls at the same time... (I live very close to a very big business district, if the metro has a problem in the afternoon, everybody phones home to say that they will be late... Then the network drops down!)

• 05-04-2011 2:19 PM In reply to

Does anybody have any experience connecting zonos to beovisions?

Rgards

Vince
  • 05-06-2011 3:36 AM In reply to

• mbee
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • Paris, France
    • Posts 1,133
    • Bronze Member

The best way is to use the coax digital connexion : you will get a "full B&O sound" as the DAC will be the Beovision DAC.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)