in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 09-05-2010 7:14 AM by lausvi. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-04-2010 11:03 PM

• RofOz
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-24-2010
    • Posts 9
    • Gold Member

Servicing a Beocord 5000

Hi,

I am servicing a Beocord 5000 tape player.  I have downloaded the service manual and it is clear that this is a unit that is intended to be fixed not dumped when it stops functioning.  Seems to be well laid out.

I recently bought the unit together with a full 5000 system.  There are a few minor issues with the system.  I am starting with the Beocord then will move to the Beogram CD50 which like the Beocord I suspect has mechanical rather than real electronic issues.

The Beocord worked once when I first got it home.  All lights work and pushing the play etc buttons things happen.  Likewise when controlled from the MCP.  I think the issue is mechanical but I am new to servicing tape decks.

Symptoms are when you push play with a tape in the slack is taken up and then it automatically stops.  This is like it came to an end of the tape.  Similar occurs when you push FF etc.

With the covers off and the control panel lifted off I found that a belt is broken; just to be clear this is a belt that is associated with the tape drive mechanism (I mention this as I am unsure if there is another belt somewhere doing those bells and whistle things that make the system so date less - unless you know some history the system looks very hi-tech and stunning that most think it is a new manufacture Smile).

Questions:

1. Can anyone tell me what belt I am after - specs etc?
    2. Is this belt a hard to get item?  
    3. Are the symptoms above likely to be fixed by a new belt?
    4. Are there any things I should check whilst I have the covers off?

Thanks to all and in anticipation and also for such a good site and forum.  Yes -  thumbs up

Cheers

Richard

• 09-04-2010 11:14 PM In reply to

Re: Servicing a Beocord 5000

Perhaps include an in-situ photo of the broken belt ...

I fixed one of mine with a set of bands / belts from Dillen on this site

Dillen provides excellent service, so either wait till he spots this ... or send him a PM :)

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 09-05-2010 7:14 AM In reply to

• lausvi
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Helsinki - Finland
    • Posts 498
    • Gold Member

Re: Servicing a Beocord 5000

There are several belts (I think three) inside the mechs. and I would replace them all just to be sure. They are almost 20 years old, anyway. The smallest belt that is situated on the top of the mechanism (which I think you wrote about) is the tape movement sensor that causes the auto-stop to kick in when the tape ends (=stops moving). Replacing it will very likely fix the problem. Rest of the belts are located under the mechanics.

Our member Martin (Dillen) will hopefully pop in here soon and instruct you how to buy new belts from him!

Bang & Olufsen - The art of controlling sound, picture and light

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)