in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 07-25-2010 4:38 AM by TWG. 14 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-22-2010 11:38 AM

• Chris
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-19-2010
    • Corbridge, UK
    • Posts 353
    • Gold Member

Ipod/Iphone dock

Found this as i'm getting bored waiting for a decent Iphone dock(apart from the B&W Zeppelin).

http://www.eleganttechnology.co.uk/2009/07/06/new-ipod-dock-from-bang-and-olufsen/

A Beovision 10-40 in black and red fret on order, Beo4, Beo6, many A8's, a pair of white and yellow Form 2's, Beocom 4, 28 inch Avant RF DVD, Apple TV and a wife that loves this stuff as much as i do! 

• 07-22-2010 2:23 PM In reply to

Re: Ipod/Iphone dock

I believe that's the Bosscom dock. The real deal won't be out until the day after Christmas. Wink

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 07-22-2010 3:09 PM In reply to

TripEnglish:
    the day after Christmas.

Huh? ...to wait in a closet 363 days for depositing under the XMAS '11 tree?

What happens if I am naughty during the wait?

• B&o bottle opener
  • 07-22-2010 3:27 PM In reply to

burantek:

TripEnglish:
    the day after Christmas.

Huh? ...to wait in a closet 363 days for depositing under the XMAS '11 tree?

What happens if I am naughty during the wait?

Apple do this kind of thing  year after year for some reason. Doesn't seem to affect their sales though! Maybe B&O are trying to follow their example.

Graham

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure. [W C Fields]

• 07-23-2010 8:17 AM In reply to

Seen on http://www.lfd.de/ - much cheaper

greetings elmar

• 07-23-2010 10:14 AM In reply to

• stefan
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • 200 miles from Struer
    • Posts 1,733
    • Founder

Yes, I think it is a product from lfd, called "ibundo", prized at 189.- Euros (375 GBP...?!)

Bosscom is the dealer for Scandinavia.

And it is definitely NO Beo product....

Stefan

• 07-23-2010 10:59 AM In reply to

• mbee
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • Paris, France
    • Posts 1,133
    • Bronze Member

I just can't understand why people still want docks. I see the usefulness in a second house, where you come with just your iPhone and have your source of music, but for a main house/flat, I just don't understand... It's like recording tapes of your prefered CDs to listen to them in your bedroom chen you can have beolink.

Just connect a Squeezebox/Sonos/Airport Express/... system to your system, and you've got ALL your music, not just a selection, and can have the FULL audio quality, not a reduced quality sound (coming out of the line out of the iPhone at best, headphone out at worst)

• 07-23-2010 11:14 AM In reply to

• stefan
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • 200 miles from Struer
    • Posts 1,733
    • Founder

mbee:

I just can't understand why people still want docks. I see the usefulness in a second house, where you come with just your iPhone and have your source of music, but for a main house/flat, I just don't understand... It's like recording tapes of your prefered CDs to listen to them in your bedroom chen you can have beolink.

Completely agree! BTW, I have the ridax ipod dock station, that I can use in a beolinksystem all over the house, and I don`t use it anymore....

Stefan

• 07-23-2010 3:55 PM In reply to

• mbee
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • Paris, France
    • Posts 1,133
    • Bronze Member

I think the success of iPod docks is just based on the common ignorance that there are really better solutions... I'll writing a summer "saga" on that on my website in order to educate people (with test of Apple Airport/Sonos, and maybe Squeezebox), but as this is a summer issue, no one will read it Big Smile

• 07-23-2010 4:42 PM In reply to

mbee:

I think the success of iPod docks is just based on the common ignorance that there are really better solutions... I'll writing a summer "saga" on that on my website in order to educate people (with test of Apple Airport/Sonos, and maybe Squeezebox), but as this is a summer issue, no one will read it Big Smile

Read it! (But to speed things up I cheated and used Google Translate.)

Graham

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure. [W C Fields]

• 07-23-2010 4:49 PM In reply to

• Chris
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-19-2010
    • Corbridge, UK
    • Posts 353
    • Gold Member

About 25 years ago CD's came along. And people wrote them off as an inferior media too Vinyl. Then those people went out and bought CD's and players(inferior remember) in vast quantities. B&O produced a beautiful range of players for this inferior media and it was a huge success.

Now MP3 is the dominant media, those same people who trumpeted Vinyl against it's inferior CD cousin dispel MP3 as a poor quality less able music source to the the slightly less inferior CD, but have forgot the much better Vinyl!

Now i don't want "multi room" with Beolink. All i want to do is enjoy some music, of a more inferior quality to CD which is turn inferior to Vinyl but not bought by the CD loving people anymore! I just want to go into my small study and plonk my phone which contains alot of my music on it, on a decent quality 1 box solution. Thats where the young and current media generation are right now. And if B&O doesn't respond with a tantalising glimpse of what it is to come when the young become more affluent then a whole generation could be missed.

Who made the portable Beolit media "player" all those years ago? They should have stayed at home and sung it themselves..it would have been less inferior!!

A Beovision 10-40 in black and red fret on order, Beo4, Beo6, many A8's, a pair of white and yellow Form 2's, Beocom 4, 28 inch Avant RF DVD, Apple TV and a wife that loves this stuff as much as i do! 

• 07-23-2010 6:08 PM In reply to

• mbee
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • Paris, France
    • Posts 1,133
    • Bronze Member

I'm not only saying that iPod dock is of inferior quality than network shared music (avoid beolink for that as it's outdated), I'm also saying that it's less ergonomic to use that : in order to use a dock, you have to :

-synchronize the iThing with your computer (to get music inside. Not All your music, a part of your library). 
    -connect your iThing to the dock
    -Navigate your music by using the iThing on the dock (I mean you have to stand up and WALK to the actual device![:'(] ) OR navigate your music by using a stupid screenless remote, trying to see the album covers on the tiny screen of the iThing which is some meters away

And then, you have stuff like this (soon to be released, but you can have almost the same result with standard DLNA media renderers and PlugPlayer for iPad):

(sorry, I already posted that video, but I find that so "today" compared to "yesterday" dock solutions...)

• 07-23-2010 7:01 PM In reply to

For me the iPod rules. it doesn't jump and  stick like the Cd does on my Bang and Olufsen Century whenever you try to play it at a decent volume. It takes seconds to update my playlist from my MacBook, i can take my favourite music of my life in decent quality on the train to work, then to the Maldives for a holiday, then plug it in my Mini Cooper when im on the road and listen to it at home. Sorry guys, the iPod has changed the way I listen to music and i would NOT in a million years go back to distorted vinyl or sticking jumping CDs. I love being able to take this anywhere in the World. Bang and Olufsen are pure fools for not addressing the dock market - it's a huge huge market and believe me it'll be even bigger next year.

• 07-25-2010 4:06 AM In reply to

To quote the advert of a certain UK high street bank: "There is another way"....

You can add an extra circuit board into the base of your Beo4 remote to allow it to control in iPod or iPhone (when used with the standard Apple Universal Dock).  The dock costs £40 in Argos (for UK buyers) and when used with the Beo4 upgrade, this gives you direct control of the iPod via any spare source on the Beo4.

These kits are built for me by a Danish electronics company and they can be supplied by any UK and ROI B&O dealers.  I know that Belfast, Dublin and Cork keep them in stock, as well as many of the UK dealers, plus all of the major resellers including MoreThanAV, LifeStyle-AV, Iconic-AV and Timeless-AV.

I use mine with a 3rd gen iPod Nano into a Beosystem 6500.

Steve.

Sounds Heavenly Cables are proud to be a sponsor of the BeoWorld Forum!

• 07-25-2010 4:38 AM In reply to

• TWG
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Germany
    • Posts 950
    • Gold Member

For traveling the iPod is ok, if you want to have very good sound quality you do NOT buy an iPod! Then you buy a Sony MP3 Walkman or a Cowon compared with favourite headphones (in my case a Sony X1060 Walkman with B&O A8 headphones).

But at home it is another situation:

Why should I listen to lousy MP3-files on a xxxxx thousand Dollar sound system? Then I can just buy a 50,- Dollar iPod dock which fits the sound quality of MP3 perfectly! :)

So, a B&O iPod Dock would just be an addition or an entry for younger customers. But does the actual generation even know the word "quality"? Everything has to be cheap and made in china crap... so it could be a difficult task for B&O.

In my personal opinion the best solution to combine your computer music with your B&O audio system is the SONOS solution with their own touchscreen-controller and NOT the iPhone app. On the iPod/iPhone you have to start the app to control the system, change volume etc. On the sonos conroller you have physical buttons, too, like on the B&O remote and it reacts instantly.

But as always: Everybody should buy the things that makes him personaly happy and don't care what the others say :)

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)