in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 07-03-2010 4:22 PM by david707. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-02-2010 4:53 PM

BV7 RF modulator

Can I assume the BV7 RF modulator works in exactly the same way as the one in the Avant? I have a Labgear distribution amp that provides a perfect picture to link TV's from an Avant. Does the BV7 need any further external boxes/wiring? If so, why?

• 07-02-2010 6:11 PM In reply to

Re: BV7 RF modulator

Hello David.

I think the BV7 does'nt have rf loop through?This is why they(B&O) introduced the rf link amplifier,that combines off air signals with the modulated output from the tv,to feed to other rooms,for viewing the integral dvd player remotely?

Regards,

Nick

• 07-03-2010 4:07 AM In reply to

Hi Nick,

Why did B&O not simply provide RF loop through to obviate the need for an RF link amplifier?

Is there a built in RF modulator in the BV7 or is that also an external 'extra'?

Thanks

David

• 07-03-2010 4:31 AM In reply to

David, you have an RF Modulator in the BV7 but it requires amplification via the external RF amp.

Simply terminate you existing aerial feed to the Avant where you are going to site the box (in the loft/roofspace/cupboard) into the RF AMP (AERIAL IN); then use the remaining cable feed (which was the aerial feed to the Avant now terminated at the RF LINK AMP) as your MOD(ulated) SUPPLY 1.

At the TV placement end the cable arrangement remains the same, Aerial In still therefore goes to Aerial In, and your Modulated Output goes to your RF Amp and distributes accordingly once you have connected the other TV output feeds from the Labgear.  If you have only a further three TV points to be fed it may be better to connect them directly to the RF Amp (I recall 4 modulated Outputs) and leave the Labgear out all together (it can be used in conjunction with the RF AMP if you need more).

You'll need power to the RF Amp and 4 or 5 Sat F-Plug connectors.

I would have responded by email but at least this might be of benefit to others, RF Amp offers better quality than the internal Avant RF Modulator.

Ian

• 07-03-2010 6:40 AM In reply to

Thankyou for that Ian.

So the RF amp offers "better quality" than the internal Avant RF modulator. My Avant setup offers perfect RF Picture Quality! I don't believe it could be improved! It seems nuisance value having another box/mains feed/more connections/brackets f-connectors and the additional cost of the RF link amplifier when I have a perfectly good distribution amp feeding 6 rooms in use. All that's needed is loop through in the BV7. Are there any ways around this?

David

• 07-03-2010 7:02 AM In reply to

To be honest I always play it straight lol but maybe you could just leave your Labgear in situ but am pretty sure there are reasons why the RF Amp is recommended over and above a straightforward distribution amp - perhaps B&O could offer some informed and well-advised comment on this forum, perhaps not!

BV7-32/40 has Aerial In and RF Mod Out so as long as ML is present it may be worth giving it a try!

• 07-03-2010 7:34 AM In reply to

I suspect that the rf loopthrough was removed to reduce interferance from the tv,as the early "flat job's" even from B&O,were rather noisy!!

The rf link amplifier is essentially a distribution amp with seperate inputs for off air and modulator signals,these being combined in the amp,before distribution to the other rooms.It only has 4 outputs, though oddly!

You could achieve the same thing by fitting a signal combiner before your existing distribution amp,so that off air signals go straight to the other rooms and BV7.The existing "return" cable from the BV7 will carry just the modulator signal.

Hope this helps?

Nick

• 07-03-2010 4:22 PM In reply to

Yes. I did this by using the RF 2 output from a digibox (carrying off air signals/sat output) and joining the modulator output using a combiner before the distribution amp. RF output 1 connects to the "aerial in" on the TV. Works fine with an Avant so should with a BV7? PQ is excellent. Pleased I don't need more boxes and wires!

Thanks for the help Nick & Ian

David 

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)