in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 06-26-2010 9:01 AM by jc. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-25-2010 10:56 AM

• jc
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-06-2007
    • The Netherlands
    • Posts 145
    • Bronze Member

Capacitator replacement, when?

Reading the numerous positive comments about the replacement of old capacitators in old speakers, I wondered if my 1978 s45-2 speakers would benefit. Is it safe to say that every old speaker will benefit from replacement?

• 06-25-2010 11:07 AM In reply to

Re: Capacitator replacement, when?

Probably is the answer - you would notice that they become brighter - age dulls them! However do you like the way they sound now? If you do, I would leave alone - you might not like them as much with new capacitors!

• 06-25-2010 11:20 AM In reply to

Depends on age.

The Beovox S45-2 does not get foam rot like most of Beovox S,M, MS,C,CX,X (Worst sounding B&O speakers ever) Redline and Penta series.

I also have a couple of those Beovox S45-2 from 1979 and they still sound very good.

I do have S80.2, S120 and M150 + CX100.

The S speakers had foamrot and Dillen fixed them including the capacitators.

It kind of goes with the job you have to do. When done you have 25 odd years to enjoy them at least.

Capacitators gets old and can in worst case make the sound be less of some details and you might end up not liking the Beovox anymore.

In most cases its better to be on the safe side and 25 years or more on a pair of Beovox, Beomastere, Beocords, Beogram, Beogram CD, CDX would always benefit of a great troublefree ownership for years to come.

I don't use my Beovox S45-2 as much so its not something I think of but someday those caps will be changed.

When changing caps its always best to stay within the stock specs of the Beovox.

• 06-26-2010 8:47 AM In reply to

I would go with Peter's suggestion.

I have two pairs bought at the same time. One pair needed recapping an one didn't and the difference was obvious and easily sorted by buying one of Martins capacitor kits.

The pair with the failing caps sounded muffled compared to the other pair. As you have no benchmark pair the only thing you can do it decide if you are happy with them as they are.

Simon

• 06-26-2010 9:01 AM In reply to

• jc
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-06-2007
    • The Netherlands
    • Posts 145
    • Bronze Member

As these speakers cost next to nothing these days I could buy another pair to get them renovated and than listen to the difference..

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)