in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 06-13-2010 9:40 AM by a11mcr. 26 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-07-2010 6:18 PM

• a11mcr
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-29-2007
    • Redcar,North East
    • Posts 154
    • Silver Member

beolink passive to mcl2p???

hi i have just bought a beolink passive and need to use this as an mcl2p or ml/mcl converter would this work??

i have a beosystem 2500 and in my bathroom the old mcl2a xtra speaker kit with the beolink passive transceiver connected but i cant get it switch on? can the newer tranceiver be used instead of the old mcl2a one?

cheers

mark

Kind Regards, Mark

• 06-07-2010 6:31 PM In reply to

Re: beolink passive to mcl2p???

I don't know about the transceiver but are you using a fully wired powerlink cable????

Regards Graham

• 06-07-2010 6:52 PM In reply to

• Vienna
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-15-2008
    • make an educated guess
    • Posts 712
    • Bronze Member

BeoLink "Passive" is the same as a ML/MCL Converter + "Eye"  (IR transceiver)  + 5m cable.

If connected to Powerlink (wo IR tranceiver) it works like as a MCL2P Power-Amp
    If connected to MasterLink (wo IR tranceiver) it works like a ML/MCL Converter

Most versatile solution would be:

"BSys 2500" >> DataLink-Cable 7 pin  >> "BeoLink-Converter" >> ML-Cable >>
    "BeoLink Passive + New Eye" >> Passive Speakers (conected to BeoLink Passive)

(old xtra kit/old IR not any longer required but you'll need a BeoLink Converter 1611 + ML + DL Cables)

Advantage: completely independant on/off as well as volume/sound settings for both rooms possible!

• 06-07-2010 7:44 PM In reply to

• a11mcr
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-29-2007
    • Redcar,North East
    • Posts 154
    • Silver Member

thanks for the advise Vienna but the problem i have is all the cables are plastered into the walls so all i need is a simple amp system that i can use to listen to the radio/cd in the bath (after a hard days graft LOL).

Graham, what would the differance be between the fully wired powerlink cables (i thought they were only for the display on the pentas and such like) but i will try one (if i can find a spare) and let you know.

but can anyone let me know if the new style eye  (IR transceiver) is compatable with the mcl2a (it has the same 5 colour wires)??

thanks

mark

Kind Regards, Mark

• 06-08-2010 2:13 AM In reply to

a11mcr:

Graham, what would the differance be between the fully wired powerlink cables (i thought they were only for the display on the pentas and such like) but i will try one (if i can find a spare) and let you know.

mark

If you are not using a Mk2, sometimes called a "fully wired" powerlink cable, it absolutely will not work!!!!!!

You can use any transceiver you like as it is irrelevent.......

If you are not using a Mk2, sometimes called a "fully wired" powerlink cable, it absolutely will not work!!!!!!

I have banged on about this since the beginning of BeoWorld, answered many, many posts on the subject, does nobody read them?

If you are not using a Mk2,sometimes called a "fully wired" powerlink cable, it absolutely will not work!!!!!!

This is absolutely the last time I will post on the subject.

Rant over.

Regards Graham

• 06-08-2010 3:42 AM In reply to

I have been pondering this overnight!

Mark, exactly how do you propose to wire this system up. I suspect a bit of a mismatch here!!

Regards Graham

• 06-08-2010 4:41 AM In reply to

With a fully wired Mark 2 cable?

LOL

Train Hard - Run Fast - Hit to Kill!!!

• 06-08-2010 4:53 AM In reply to

• a11mcr
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-29-2007
    • Redcar,North East
    • Posts 154
    • Silver Member

Hi Graham my plan is to connect the two mcl plugs to the beolink passive and then a powerlink cable (fully wired LOL) from the passive to the 2500 ?

as i said upto two month ago i was using a BC9500 then bought the BS2500 but all the link cables are in the walls from using the 9500.

as i thought te passive was just another version of the mcl2p?? or am i wrong?

mark

Kind Regards, Mark

• 06-08-2010 5:13 AM In reply to

Yes, for Passive you can read MCL2P or ML/MCL converter. They are all capable of doing the same job with the same wiring as far as I am aware.

So this is what you will end up with now.

Beocenter 2500  -> Fully wired powerlink -> Passive

Passive -> MCL Cable -> MCL2A -> Speaker Cables -> Passive Speakers

MCL2A -> Transceiver Cable -> Transceiver

I am not sure about the different transceivers but if they were not interchangeabe, I am sure we would know about it by now!

But.........whatever, it will not work unless........??

Regards Graham

• 06-08-2010 5:27 AM In reply to

• a11mcr
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-29-2007
    • Redcar,North East
    • Posts 154
    • Silver Member

but it will not work unless i use fully wired powerlink cables is that right Graham?

many thanks

mark

Kind Regards, Mark

• 06-08-2010 10:40 AM In reply to

Vienna:

BeoLink "Passive" is the same as a ML/MCL Converter + "Eye"  (IR transceiver)  + 5m cable.

(old xtra kit/old IR not any longer required but you'll need a BeoLink Converter 1611 + ML + DL Cables)

Advantage: completely independant on/off as well as volume/sound settings for both rooms possible!

you're solution will work. I would do/propose the same.

• 06-08-2010 10:56 AM In reply to

• Vienna
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-15-2008
    • make an educated guess
    • Posts 712
    • Bronze Member

Vienna:

Alternative Version to my previous config - using existing MCL Cables
    from 9300 installation and offering you independent volume control in both rooms:

"BeoLink Passive (without New Eye = ML/MCL Converter)"
    >> existing MCL-Cables from old installation + existing X-tra Passive Kit + Speakers

• 06-08-2010 1:16 PM In reply to

trrue - this is the simpler method, but the first is the better solution

• 06-08-2010 2:42 PM In reply to

• AdiS
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-24-2007
    • Posts 196
    • Bronze Member

the new eye doesn´t work with the mcl! We have an old MCL-based system at home and last year when we re-designed the bathroom I tried to hook up the new eye instead of the old mcl-eye. No response!

• 06-08-2010 5:24 PM In reply to

This is right, the new IR-eye does not work with the old system. The reason is that in the old MCL eye the microprocessor was in the eye, in the ML eye there is no microprocessor. 

In your case you should connect the Passive to your BeoCenter 2500 using fully connected Powerlinkcable, since the MCL system needs data from your BeoCenter 2500, which is only transmitted through the fully connected powerlinkcable. After this you can connect the MCL-system to the Passive.

This is actually a solution fully supported by Bang & Olufsen. Remember that the ML system was not available yet when BeoCenter 2500 was introduced. And since BeoCenter 2500 did not have a power amplifier, the MCL system could not be connected. So they used the MCL2P for this. The ML/MCL converter and the BeoLink Passive are actually the same products, the difference is that there is no IR eye with the ML/MCL Converter. And both products can be used to replace an MCL2P!

• 06-08-2010 8:21 PM In reply to

• a11mcr
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-29-2007
    • Redcar,North East
    • Posts 154
    • Silver Member

Thanks Blackrix.

Now how about this, I put the passive in my loft above my bathroom (with the new EYE) then connect the passive to my BS2500 with "fully wired powerlink cables" then then just connect the passive speakers to the amp?

Will this work?Confused

Cheers

Mark

Kind Regards, Mark

• 06-09-2010 3:37 AM In reply to

No! If only.........!!

The eye will only work with ML cable connection of the passive to the Beocenter 2500 via a 1611 Beolink converter. Then the new eye will work.

Regards Graham

• 06-09-2010 4:05 AM In reply to

• Vienna
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-15-2008
    • make an educated guess
    • Posts 712
    • Bronze Member

a11mcr:

Thanks Blackrix.

Now how about this, I put the passive in my loft above my bathroom (with the new EYE) then connect the passive to my BS2500 with "fully wired powerlink cables" then then just connect the passive speakers to the amp?

Will this work?Confused

Cheers

Mark

Mark,

Blackrix described one possibilty, I described two alternatives
    - each one has it's own advantages & limitations but all three will work.

Each one will only work within it's own context regarding components AND cables!

Make your choice, depending on your intention/possibility to change
    cables and how comfortable the result shall be ... 

• 06-09-2010 3:28 PM In reply to

joeyboygolf:

No! If only.........!!

The eye will only work with ML cable connection of the passive to the Beocenter 2500 via a 1611 Beolink converter. Then the new eye will work.

That's right! There are more ways to connect a link-system to a BeoCenter 2500. If you do it like I discribed before, there is a disadvantage. If you change the volume or the sound settings in the livingroom, the whole system will follow. It is actually the same if you change the volume or the sound settings in the linkroom. This of course only applies if there are speakers connected to the BeoCenter 2500. But the advantage is that it saves you money. You don't have to buy a T1611 converter. And you can keep using the MCL system, so it is the easiest solution in your situation. If you would build a new link-system, I would use ML, since it is more up to date!

• 06-11-2010 3:23 PM In reply to

• a11mcr
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-29-2007
    • Redcar,North East
    • Posts 154
    • Silver Member

AngrySuper Angry   Right this is what i have done.

BS2500 >> fully wired powerlink cable >> beolink converter type 1611 >> masterlink cable to beolink passive with new eye >> one pair or passive speakers.

the amp turns on but nothing else happens? the BS2500 does not respond?

What have i done wrong??

Thanks

Mark

Kind Regards, Mark

• 06-11-2010 4:24 PM In reply to

• a11mcr
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-29-2007
    • Redcar,North East
    • Posts 154
    • Silver Member

Now got it workingBig Smile It will only work if its connected to the aux connection and not powerlink, but now i cant connect my beogram an tv??

Also is there any way of setting the startup volume level as when it comes on its very loud! (I have tried sound>store on the remote but dosent change it?)

Any ideas please?

Cheers

Mark

Kind Regards, Mark

• 06-11-2010 4:29 PM In reply to

Sounds like you have thrown everything up in the air  and connected them in the order they landed!

The powerlink wont work in this configuration as it has no two way control capability.

This would work:-

BS2500->Aux link cable->1611 converter->ML cable->Passive with eye->Passive speakers

Regards Graham

• 06-11-2010 7:35 PM In reply to

• Vienna
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-15-2008
    • make an educated guess
    • Posts 712
    • Bronze Member

joeyboygolf:

Sounds like you have thrown everything up in the air  and connected them in the order they landed!
    The powerlink wont work in this configuration as it has no two way control capability.

This would work:-
    BS2500->Aux link cable->1611 converter->ML cable->Passive with eye->Passive speakers

Of course this is the most elegant way - not only Big Smile because I recomendet exactly the same solution a few posts earlier !

Mark, DON'T COMPLAIN, please READ CAREFULLY when some quite qualified members try to help you !!!
    AND PLEASE MENTION ALL DETAILS OF YOUR SYSTEM - TILL NOW you never mentioned you have a TV
    connected to Aux!!

By the way, this problem can easily be solved using a DataLink Splitter-Cable to connect TV AND BeoLink Converter
    to the same 7 pin socket of your BC 2500

SORRY - I HAVE TO REPEAT MY PREVIOUS POSTING:

Blackrix described one possibilty, I described two alternatives
    - each one has it's own advantages & limitations but all three will work.

Each one will only work within it's own context regarding COMPONENTS AND CABLES!

• 06-12-2010 7:00 AM In reply to

Is the television a BeoVision with or without ML? If it is without ML and you use the Datalink-splitter in this situation, you might encounter the following problem. If someone is watching TV in the livingroom and you choose and audio-source in the linkroom, you will get the sound of the audiosource and the videosource mixed in the linkroom. Like Vienna said, let us know all components you would like to connect so we can give you a good advise.

• 06-13-2010 9:03 AM In reply to

• a11mcr
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-29-2007
    • Redcar,North East
    • Posts 154
    • Silver Member

Many thanks for all your help so far.

I have the BS2500 in my livingroom with a BG4500 and the Beovison in my bedroom i have two tv's to choose from, a BV4000 with datalink or a BV4002 with masterlink connection, so which one would you reccomend for me to use?

The other question is i am thinking of changing the BS2500 for a BS9000 so what connections would i need if i go for this setup?

Thanks

Kind Regards, Mark

Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 1 2 Next >