in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 04-12-2010 10:48 AM by Steve at Sounds Heavenly. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-05-2010 1:47 PM

• andy
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • weston-super(!)-mare
    • Posts 123
    • Founder

PentaLab 2..the lights are on but nobody home....

evening all......

i just wired up my new PentaLab 2, biought off ebay.....they both have foa rot...but,,,,one of the speakers is not working..all the lights are one and change with status....cables are brand new from steve at Sounds Heavenly...( great service !)....has anyone got any ideas?...i have swopped cables round and in diffrent sockets....fairly happy its speaker not ouverture/cable

cheers

andy

• 03-06-2010 12:53 AM In reply to

Re: PentaLab 2..the lights are on but nobody home....

Snap! I have one doing just the same. Display works, light changes from red to green but no sound comes out!!

Even worse, it's mate has turned off completely.

Will investigate this week. I'll let you know if I find anything obvious like a fuse or leaky capacitor. May need to send the amps away for refurb.

Chat to Brett on Sunday.

Regards Graham

• 04-11-2010 2:54 PM In reply to

Hi Andy,

You've tried exactly what I would suggest - swap the cables and see if the fault moves to the other speaker. As it stays in the same place, this does sound like a speaker problem.  You can remove the amps from the base of the Pentas and check the outputs with conventional passive speakers, as they just have standard red and black output terminals, plus a DIN plug for the display.  This will tell you if you have a problem with the amp, or if the wiring inside the speaker needs attention.

By the way, is that you sailing an Enterprise in your avatar?  I learned to sail in one of those, they're great boats!

Also, thanks for your kind words!

Steve.

Sounds Heavenly Cables are proud to be a sponsor of the BeoWorld Forum!

• 04-12-2010 6:28 AM In reply to

• andy
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • weston-super(!)-mare
    • Posts 123
    • Founder

Steve...

i changed the amp over at the weekend and its an amp problem....so i am going to send them to neil today if i get round to it !

and yes., me in an Ent, will be sailing an Ent, in the fact the same one, this weekend at Bristol, been sailing for 30 years, mostly at the pointy end of an Enterprise, done nationals...worlds ( abroad)...these days i dont take it very seriously at all.....lol..

andy

• 04-12-2010 10:48 AM In reply to

Andy,

Amp problems do seem to be getting quite common now that Pentas are getting a bit older.  The electronics are fairly simple, its just the cramped conditions inside the case that makes repairs tricky.... [:'(]

Sounds like your sailing skills are far beyond mine - I learnt to sail Ents and Wayfarers 20 odd years ago, but I never managed to get far in racing (certainly not to the Worlds!) Embarrassed

I have a humble Topaz at the moment, so that I can teach my daughter to sail.  As I'm now only 10 miles from Rutland Water, I'm on the lookout for a used Dart 18 Cat for some cheap thrills!  Then I just need to work out how to safely fit Beovox 1 speakers to a boat that gets capsized several times every hour......

Steve.

Sounds Heavenly Cables are proud to be a sponsor of the BeoWorld Forum!

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)