in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-27-2010 3:54 PM by TripEnglish. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-25-2010 5:40 PM

• mjmedlo
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-07-2008
    • Arkansas, USA
    • Posts 384
    • Bronze Member

masterlink gateway

Does anyone have a MLGW?  I am wondering how well they work?

Also, does anyone have a SAVANTAV system?  I'm wondering how well they work together?

Lastly. . .are there any other options other than the MLGW to integrate the savant system?

Thanks in advance

Jered

I'm ready for something new that I actually want to buy!

• 02-25-2010 9:54 PM In reply to

Re: masterlink gateway

I have an MLGW at home, one in my shop, and many in the field. I have yet to use it with a Savant system, but it's been reliable with everything else. I'm a huge proponent of it.

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 02-27-2010 12:19 PM In reply to

• mjmedlo
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-07-2008
    • Arkansas, USA
    • Posts 384
    • Bronze Member

Trip,

Do you use this with a crestron system i presume?

I am trying to figure out a way to get two way communications in link rooms. . 

Also, I want to be able to use the home automation system to turn on the B&O products in link rooms. .. any other options?  Or is the MLGW my best bet?

I understand that it allows communication b/w the home automation system and the ML network. . can the MLGW allow the home automation to receive B&O commands and vice versa?  I.E. as i said, home automation touch tell B&O 3.5k in the bathroom to turn on without having to use a Beo4/5?  

thanks

MJM

I'm ready for something new that I actually want to buy!

• 02-27-2010 3:54 PM In reply to

I don't, though I have it in the field working with Crestron products, with which it works well. I use it with Lutron Homeworks and homeworks drives my automation tasks either directly (lighting & shades) or as a "middle man" via contact closure. 

I'm not personally a fan of the whole two-way thing (aside from digital media library type stuff). It's not that I see it as a negative per se, but rather that it costs far too much to do too little. There are certainly cases where feedback is important, but that's usually going to be in a large residence or a remote residence that doesn't have full-time management. 

If it's just you in a "normal" sized house, I can't see the need to know what temperature it is in rooms that you're not in or whether windows are open or closed. That's just me, though, and I've certainly designed very capable systems that do just that for clients who want it.

If you wanted a sort of two-way command center, Crestron is the de facto standard, though Savant, being Mac based, has been tempting me to explore it more deeply. You would be able to get full feedback on a touch panel and monitor not only your AV, but other resi systems.

And yes, you can absolutely control B&O functions through non-B&O interfaces. My favorite move is (when in conjunction with a Lutron system) to dedicate a two-gang keypad w/ IR as the ML eye instead of the PUC and give it volume and track/channel up & down on one side and a source list on the other. 

At the end of the day, if you want simple and comprehensive interaction between B&O and other systems, the MLGW is an absolute must. If you need any help designing the system you can PM me and we can start a dialog.

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)