in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-06-2010 4:05 PM by joeyboygolf. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-06-2010 5:40 AM

• Peter
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-28-2009
    • Sweden
    • Posts 134
    • Bronze Member

Beolab 3000 + Beovision LS 5500 = No display and humming distortion...

Hi All,

I was lucky (?) to buy a pair of Beolab 3000 in absolute mint condition the other day. Unfortunately I was not able to test them at the sellers house, but I took his word for them being as good technically as they look. I believe the price (400 euros) was reasonable..

I want to use them with my BVLS5500 via Powerlink in my bedroom and I bought new Powerlink cables from the local B&O dealer. 

Back home i mount them to the wall, I set the switches on the side of the speakers the sound to "Video" and they play beautifully! Amazing sound when playing!

BUT:

- I get nothing on the display, no matter what I set the switch to on the side ( video, audio or standby) The sound is great no matter if I use "video" or "Audio" mode and when i put on "standby" there is no sound (which is correct of course).

- The red dot that indicates standby is red all the time no matter the position of the switch, isnt that supposed to be green when active?

- When I turn off the TV there is a loud "electrostatic bang" in the speakers, and when they are now supposed to be in standby mode, there is a "humming" distortion

So far I tried to disconnect everything, also to the TV and the power. I also been trying to change the settings on the BV LS 5500 on the menu where I can activate/deactivate "p.link" and also changed the sound from "internal" to "external" but the speakers plays perfectly no matter what I do..but still no display and "bang and hum" when turned off.

I am using brand new 5 meter power link cables: B&O original Powerlink Mk3 6270041. They are not listed in the manual of the BL3000 but I suppose these are a newer type, but should be fully connected as far as i know..

Anyone have any ideas where I should start looking for a solution??

Thanks,

Peter

• 02-06-2010 5:51 AM In reply to

Re: Beolab 3000 + Beovision LS 5500 = No display and humming distortion...

I think you are using the wrong cables. Just been looking for diagrams which I cannot find but I believe the Mk3 Powerlink cable lacks the connections for the display. You need fully wired cables.

• 02-06-2010 6:11 AM In reply to

Quite correct Peter.

For speakers with displays ONLY use Mk2 fully wired powerlink cables. Despite what you may hear, NOTHING else will work.

Regards Graham

• 02-06-2010 6:52 AM In reply to

• Peter
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-28-2009
    • Sweden
    • Posts 134
    • Bronze Member

Peter and Graham, Thanks Guys!

Always such an instant reply!

I'll get the cables changed...

/Peter

• 02-06-2010 9:23 AM In reply to

• Peter
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-28-2009
    • Sweden
    • Posts 134
    • Bronze Member

Update: 

Went to my dealer and changed the Powerlink Mk3 cables to another pair that is twice as thick, rubberlike and have some kind of thick "bulb" in the ends just after the connector and they are marked Versafit 125 .

And everything works perfectly with displays and the sound is even better !

Thanks again!

/P

• 02-06-2010 4:05 PM In reply to

They are not B&O but if they do the job that's fine.

B&O have just changed the spec to a fully shielded design and they are much thicker than the originals. I am told that the uprated spec is to allow for "future developments".

Part number for the latest 5m P/L Mk2 Fully shielded is 6270931. I am yet to test them.

Regards Graham

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)