in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-10-2010 6:27 PM by Jandyt. 40 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (41 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-07-2010 5:18 AM

best possible b&o speakers for my beolab 5000 amp (1970 model)

Hi i need advice as to what are a good pair of speakers for my Beolab 5000 amp (circa 1970).  I was considering the Beovox s45-2 speakers is that a wise choice or not?

• 02-07-2010 5:48 AM In reply to

Re: best possible b&o speakers for my beolab 5000 amp (1970 model)

It partly depends upon your room size, the S45-2 are certainly ok, but they would not be able to handle the absolute full power output, but most folk do not drive their amps that hard.

You can usually pick up S75 for a reasonable sum, could well be worth a shot.I've driven Pentas with this amp too.

That amp is certainly capable of coping with S80, I think you'll find that folk reckon the S120 are good speakers, but you'll struggle to find a pair that are free from foam rot - this can be cured but it does cost.

Getting your hands on the M70 or M100 isn't easy, but I have heard claims these are pretty good.

• 02-07-2010 6:11 AM In reply to

Interesting question. I have just got a Beolab and Beomaster 5000 and am currently using some CX50s due to limited space in my home office. If I can be bothered moving things around I might try the Beolab 5000 with my Beovox Pentas in my home office, or with my MC120.2s in my bedroom. 

Long-term I would like to use the Beolab 5000 as a stand-alone main room system, and had been considering some big RL140s or maybe even some Beovox 5000 panel speakers as an interesting match. I wonder if anyone has tried either of these with the Beolab 5000?

President, Beomaster 8000 Appreciation Society

• 02-07-2010 6:22 AM In reply to

S120's / MC120.2's sound very good connected to a Beolab 5000. I now have Beovox Pentas and these sound great as well, I only changed to the pentas for the looks not the sound.  I would go for one of the bigger uniphase speakers or pentas really.  I like the idea of Beovox panels with it though.

Remember that there is a good chance that what ever you buy will need refoaming but dont let that put you off as its not too hard a job to do and is quite rewarding when you sit down and listen to your newly rebuilt speakers.

• 02-07-2010 11:28 AM In reply to

• classic
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Venø - Struer / Denmark
    • Posts 224
    • Founder

My best choise will allways be speakers developed for the product in question - the Beolab 5000.

Speakers for the Beolab 5000 is Beovox 5000 or a 'not so known' speaker the Beovox 3000.

The best choise is Beovox 5000 and for me I prefer MKI or MKIII of this speaker. If this will be your choise, you will get a fantastic sound and really getting the best of the Beolab 5000 system. If you also connect a couple of Beovox 2500 Cube's the sound will be further improved. Last week I also connected the Stereo Box and a Beovox 3000 as center speaker - (The Beolab is designed to drive a center speaker too) - this is even more fantastic, I would say, this is a kind of unknown improvement for owners of the wonderfull Beolab 5000 system.

/Frede

Beolab 5000 -  "If another amplifier sounds different then it needs repair!"

• 02-07-2010 11:49 AM In reply to

While my journey continues trying to find the 3000/5000 and 2500 cubes as Frede mentioned...

I have used S60's that sounded fantastic. I have recently moved my BL/BM setup to a large nightstand next to my bed and added a pair of 2200's. Though they are lowly rated, I never play it loudly in the bedroom anyway. As a side note they are a perfect match. The cabinets are the same thickness and grain and it really looks great together -as if made for each other.

• B&o bottle opener
  • 02-07-2010 12:09 PM In reply to

burantek:

I have recently moved my BL/BM setup to a large nightstand next to my bed and added a pair of 2200's. Though they are lowly rated, I never play it loudly in the bedroom anyway. As a side note they are a perfect match. The cabinets are the same thickness and grain and it really looks great together -as if made for each other.

I have the same setup! Smile

-mika

• 02-07-2010 12:19 PM In reply to

tournedos:
    I have the same setup! Smile

Would you like to swap pics? Laughing

I'll go get my camera!

• B&o bottle opener
  • 02-07-2010 12:20 PM In reply to

This is unfortunately a horrible mess around that kit, I'm not going to show it to anybody! Laughing

@Stephen: I guess you can safely follow Frede's advice if you want "the best" - but as you can see from the other answers, you can use just about anything! I've also tried mine with Pentas and S80.2s and they were just great.

-mika

• 02-07-2010 12:40 PM In reply to

Stick out tongue

• B&o bottle opener
  • 02-07-2010 12:52 PM In reply to

Nice Jeff :)

Here's mine. CX50s are on shelf below the 5000 Lab/Master, sandwiching a load of medical textbooks :P

• 02-07-2010 1:01 PM In reply to

j0hnbarker:
    Here's mine.

I think we are tuned to the same station! Huh? Laughing

@STEPHEN: I have S45's... but I never used them with this combo. I went with the S60's initially for the greater power handling. Rest assured, the S45's (single fret, not the double fret models) are very good speakers! If you have access to a good pair, I would recommend them as great interim speakers until you can find the correct 3000/5000 + 2500 cubes. Then you can move and connect the S45's to your next B&o purchase! ...There will be more! Big Smile

• B&o bottle opener
  • 02-07-2010 2:53 PM In reply to

You'll have to choose whether you want to go with vintage B&O speakers or with newer speakers. I'll have to second Frede's suggestion that the best choice would be a set of the speakers that were originally created for this amplifier. It's a very special amplifier, with circuitry you do not find in many other amplifiers, due to the requirements for setting them up properly for correct playback of the various sources (using a mono signal and the dials on the bottom.)

B&O itself ideally wanted you to use a three-speaker stereo configuration, plus the Beovox 2500 omnidirectional tweeters. I've listened to music I knew well through Frede's setup (Classic Audio), and it sounded brilliant.

I asked Tim Jarman what other B&O speakers he could recommend, since I didn't have room for the Beovox 5000 setup. He suggested that I should get a good set of Beovox S80.2 for the Beolab 5000. And I've been looking for an excellent pair ever since - and will probably have them reconed when I find one. Think that would look good and be quasi-authentic as it's within the brand.

However - I am using a pair of Dynaudio Focus 140 speakers now, and they are doing an excellent job together with this amplifier.

• 02-07-2010 5:23 PM In reply to

I agree completely about the Beovox 5000 and 2500 combination. They are however bulky! I actually use BBC LS3/5A speakers with AB1 woofers and these work wonderfully. For classical music, especially vocals, these are superb. I confess to not being a fan of S80.2s - Tim's pair were mine at one point! If I wanted B&O speakers, but didn't have room for the 5000s, I would get 3000s instead.

• 02-07-2010 6:59 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Dammit!
    I thought I had the full setup.
    Beolab 5000
    Beomaster 5000
    Beovox 2500s
    Beovox 5000s
    Now, having read this thread I just have to find a center speaker.
    Hmmm, the fireplace is a bit of a nuisance!Hmm

Poor me, never win owt!

• 02-08-2010 1:31 AM In reply to

• classic
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Venø - Struer / Denmark
    • Posts 224
    • Founder

... and Jandyt

you also need the StereoBox to connect in a fexible way to the Beolab. This Box will also make it possible to connect a headaphone to your Beolab.

/Frede

Beolab 5000 -  "If another amplifier sounds different then it needs repair!"

• 02-08-2010 2:59 AM In reply to

Thank you all so much for the advice on choosing speakers for my BEOLAB 5000 I live in Canada and its harder to find a good selection of B&O speakers here at a reasonal price but im going to keep looking.  Im also looking for the little red power button indicator for the beolab amp it fell off. Let me know if anyone has a spare one i can purchase.  Thanks again im new to BEOWORLD  and im  very impressed with the knowledge you people have and also feels good knowing im not the only beonut out there.  I think my beocollecting has only begun.

• 02-08-2010 1:41 PM In reply to

• beobeo
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Spain
    • Posts 953
    • Founder

Beovox 5000.. aren't they nice?

But you will need space, they are big indeed.

Gustavo

• 02-08-2010 2:20 PM In reply to

beobeo:
    Beovox 5000.. aren't they nice?

BEAUTIFUL!

Nice clean setup... and a BG1000!

• B&o bottle opener
  • 02-08-2010 4:55 PM In reply to

classic:

My best choise will allways be speakers developed for the product in question - the Beolab 5000.

Speakers for the Beolab 5000 is Beovox 5000 or a 'not so known' speaker the Beovox 3000.

The best choise is Beovox 5000 and for me I prefer MKI or MKIII of this speaker. If this will be your choise, you will get a fantastic sound and really getting the best of the Beolab 5000 system. If you also connect a couple of Beovox 2500 Cube's the sound will be further improved. Last week I also connected the Stereo Box and a Beovox 3000 as center speaker - (The Beolab is designed to drive a center speaker too) - this is even more fantastic, I would say, this is a kind of unknown improvement for owners of the wonderfull Beolab 5000 system.

/Frede

hi stephen,

if you want the best, go for the original setup, as frede recommended.

i use a some beovox 2400 connected to a pair of beovox 2500 cubes. they are also build at the same time as the beolab was manufactured. imo also a good setup, if you don't have much space... but some beovox 3000 would sound even better. if you looking for new speakers piega will also a good choice. http://www.piega.ch/en/produkte/

regards

dario

• 02-09-2010 4:41 AM In reply to

• beobeo
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Spain
    • Posts 953
    • Founder

Thanks Burantek,

This is the Beolab 5000 corner. I need the Beovox 2500 and have been looking for a Thorens TD 124 (or a BG3000 Thorens but this one is even harder to get) for 2 years now but it's just out of my budget as of today! It will come one of this days. For the time being just to see these ones is a pleasure to my eyes.

Gustavo

• 02-09-2010 5:22 AM In reply to

Frede has placed his Beovox 2500 on the back wall, above his speakers, letting them jut out from the wall on the stand. Looks nice - and seemed more functional than just placing them on top of the speakers (vibrations, etc.)

There's a lacquer you can use to tone up old driver cones. Ennemoser has one he calls C37, which there's a lot of audiophile fluff about, but the principle makes sense. It may be the laquer Frede uses to freshen up old drivers, he can advice about that. It does a lot for the treble response.

Must say it makes me happy to see these fantastic units being so well taken care of, Beobeo - but they deserve it. Frede does a total refurbish of the 2500s, check with him about ordering a pair!

@Burantek - yours look excellently maintained! One suggestion - place the amplifier on top, that way, there's more air circulating through the vents in the wood, and you'll probably reduce the operating temperature, increasing longevity of the components.

• 02-09-2010 6:30 AM In reply to

soundproof:

@Burantek - yours look excellently maintained! One suggestion - place the amplifier on top, that way, there's more air circulating through the vents in the wood, and you'll probably reduce the operating temperature, increasing longevity of the components.

I thought about this, but reasoned that as the back of the Beomaster is sculpted away it was to improve air circulation when the Beomaster is on top - as it is in all the promotional literature from B&O. I personally think the set-up looks best with Beolab at the bottom.

How do others stack theirs?

• 02-09-2010 7:21 AM In reply to

j0hnbarker:

I thought about this, but reasoned that as the back of the Beomaster is sculpted away it was to improve air circulation when the Beomaster is on top - as it is in all the promotional literature from B&O. I personally think the set-up looks best with Beolab at the bottom.

Me too... the flipside of the coin is that the Beolab won't collect as much dust inside when the openings on the top cover aren't directly visible. I never play it loud for extended periods anyway, and the left side end panel of the amp seems to get warmer than the cooling fins ever do.

-mika

• 02-09-2010 7:31 AM In reply to

Same here Mika - the left side of the casing is a better heatsink than...err...the heatsink!

Page 1 of 2 (41 items) 1 2 Next >