in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 02-10-2010 1:52 PM by Stephan. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-10-2010 3:47 AM

B&O will always be the only one to have ALT speakers: read this

I was browsing the Internet this morning & came accross this on SAW main page: 

"

Along the way, Manny and Dave have nurtured relationships with other inventors and developers in the areas of amplifier design and digital signal processing (DSP). While SAW recently sold the ALT patents to Bang & Olufsen, Sausalito Audio, our new manufacturing and product development company, has retained the rights to develop certain products with ALT for a burgeoning architectural audio market. 

In the coming months, we at Sausalito Audio will use ALT and other technologies, focusing the same passionate commitment to excellence that made ALT a success into the development of architectural (in-wall and in-ceiling) audio systems for custom residential installation. We intend to make these products as groundbreaking and revolutionary as the Acoustic Lens has been. "

I knew B&O had exclusive rights to use ALT, but reading this, it's clear that no other manufacturer will be able to use ALT design, which is good news I think. 

I'm also curious about the implementation of ALT speakers in walls & ceilings, as this is quite a challenge, since all designs made by B&O had to make the lens always visible, and with this new direction, products like BL 6000 or 8000, or even BV9 could be fitted with built-in (=invisible) lenses, don't you think?

Reunion Island is greeting you!

• 01-10-2010 3:59 AM In reply to

Re: B&O will always be the only one to have ALT speakers: read this

I didn't draw the same conclusion from the article that you did!

B&O now own the patents but it will be interesting to see whether they have done this to maintain a competetive advantage or if the technology will start popping up everywhere like ICEPower amplifiers or (many years ago) Dolby HX Pro. It sounds like they are already licencing it to Sausalito for residential installations, and if KEF, Linn or another high-end speaker manufacturer approached B&O about a licencing  deal then if the price was right B&O may well choose to do business.

"Featuring Acoustic Lens Technology from Bang and Olufsen" anyone?

Simon

• 01-10-2010 10:24 AM In reply to

I think if it's done judiciously it can work. It can really bolster our company image in that most of the people who are only vaguely familiar often think of us as a design-only company. Having a strong technology portfolio licensed among other top tier manufacturers wouldn't be such a bad thing.

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 01-10-2010 3:50 PM In reply to

TripEnglish:

I think if it's done judiciously it can work. It can really bolster our company image in that most of the people who are only vaguely familiar often think of us as a design-only company. Having a strong technology portfolio licensed among other top tier manufacturers wouldn't be such a bad thing.

More or less what Pioneer is stating " ICE Power developed by Bang  Olufsen" Smile

• 01-10-2010 4:00 PM In reply to

Can we expect a new alt loudspeaker in 2010

• 01-10-2010 5:33 PM In reply to

koning:

Can we expect a new alt loudspeaker in 2010

Yes, you can expect a new alt loudspeaker in 2010. No, we will not be releasing one. Big Smile

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 01-11-2010 12:22 AM In reply to

Big SmileStick out tongue

• 01-11-2010 1:30 AM In reply to

Anyone here heard of Artcoustic speakers?  They have a technology called "target lens" which sounds similar to me!  Apparently they were started by former B&O people.

• 01-11-2010 4:47 AM In reply to

I hope the next generation ALT BeoLabs will have motorized ALT like in the cars fitted with the Advanced Sound System, imagine BeoLab 5's lenses rising from nowhere, or even or Lab 6000 - 8000 with lenses on the top (OK, I'm going too far again..Stick out tongue)

Seriously, I think motorized ALT lenses would make much sense, it protects the lens from dust & damage, adds a magical movement to speakers, like curtains on TVs and glass doors on BeoSounds, and makes the speaker design less "weird" when in stand-by.

Reunion Island is greeting you!

• 01-11-2010 1:43 PM In reply to

• Evan
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-15-2008
    • Ohio | USA
    • Posts 2,601
    • Gold Member

Chrisreunion:

I hope the next generation ALT BeoLabs will have motorized ALT like in the cars fitted with the Advanced Sound System, imagine BeoLab 5's lenses rising from nowhere, or even or Lab 6000 - 8000 with lenses on the top (OK, I'm going too far again..Stick out tongue)

Seriously, I think motorized ALT lenses would make much sense, it protects the lens from dust & damage, adds a magical movement to speakers, like curtains on TVs and glass doors on BeoSounds, and makes the speaker design less "weird" when in stand-by.

I have come across a few people (those people who aren't that familiar with B&O), who think the BeoLab 3 does have motorized ALT. I think motorized home ALT is a pretty good idea.

Evan

• 01-12-2010 9:44 AM In reply to

Hi BeoWorlders!

Thanks for your interest in Sausalito Audio and ALT.  This thread is quite interesting and I can give you some idea of where we are right now.  

We are late in the development cycle for in-wall and in-ceiling speakers, and are still working on the financing needed to bring these products to the market.  I personally feel that the prototypes are "breakthrough" products that may be of great interest to BeoWorld members.  I wish I could say more about them now, but it is premature.  

At the same time, we are working on some other research areas involving ALT and some other promising technology.  This work may be of less interest to BeoWorld.  

In any case, we are very cognizant of B&O's needs and desires in regard to ALT exclusivity, and work with them closely in this regard.  

Our timetable for product release is on hold until the economy improves.  My own sense of it is that while some fundamentals have stabilized, the recession continues and the amount of discretionary money available is still quite limited.  

I hope this is of some interest.  Thanks for listening.  

Dave

Dave Sausalito Audio LLC
  • 02-10-2010 1:52 PM In reply to

Nice to read that B&O and Sausalito keep the cooperation and push the boundaries further.

If its in-wall/ceiling, think about motorized stuff, that would be so cool...

On the other hand, we could steal the motorized speakers from the dashboards of the Audis & Astons in our area...sounds like a plan!

Best regards

Stephan 

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)