in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 12-29-2009 1:47 PM by Peter. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-29-2009 10:45 AM

CRT vs LCD

Hi all

Now i was about to give my self and my wife, a new TV to replace our Beovision 3-32, a tv which i am 100% happy with and i foundly remenber the wow effect i gave me when i first played it..... i had my eyes fixed on either a beovion 8-40 or the new beovision 10, so i went to my dealer saw both, and he was so kind to borrow me the 8-40 so that i could test it at my house. Well so far so good i got it installed with sattelit TV, DVD1 and a playstation 3 fore blu ray, now time fore testing - no wow effect - I started with sattelit tv which is ok but i find it annoying that the picture "blurs" at fast movement say a flick of a hand of a head turning. DVD1 also ok but still "blurs" at fast movments. PS3 with blu ray very good close to a wow effect here, but a few times annoying blur effects. We then tried to set up my beo 3-32 side by side with the 8-40 and feeded them the same sattelit signal, and i honestly think the 3-32 is the best picture fore seeing "ordinary" programs.

I do know that "blur" effects are next to imspossible to be free off with LCD (i have seen many non b&o that are far worse than the 8-40 so i will give that B&O have some of the best LCDs on the marked.

Now to the question to does of you who have made the switch from a CRT to LCD and also see and gets annoyed by these blur effects - have you manged to "ignore" the blurs and live happy with the LCD? I hope that you can, that i am just to demanding to get the perfect picture (how can you not be with b&o).

when i returned the 8-40 to the store i had a good look at the beo 10 and it had the same annoying "blur" effects. yes I do know that i am focusing to find these effects and so therefore see them more easy, hence the question - Can you learn to simply ignore it?

Thanks fore any replys

Soren

• 12-29-2009 11:10 AM In reply to

Re: CRT vs LCD

It's true that after a while one gets more or less used to it. (having had a sharp lcd for over a year). However personally I found watching it tiring for my eyes somehow.

I did change to a plasma (Panasonic) and that resolved all possible annoying effects. Been very happy with it.
    Even the  best 240Hz lcd screen has a hard time keeping up with the fast and fluid motion of a plasma screens. 

• 12-29-2009 11:12 AM In reply to

Hi Soren, 

I recently changed from the Avant to the BeoVision 8, so I'm watching the same screen size but with a lot less cabinet bulk. Overall we've been very pleased. The picture is a lot more vivid than on our BeoVision 4 or Avant, but it's sort of a nice change.

As for motion artifacts, it's been a while since they've really jumped out at me from any maker's LCD. I'm sure they're still there to some extent, but through increased frame rates and other processing it's been reduced to well within tolerability for me. What usually puts me off most non-B&O screens is color accuracy and detail. Everyone seems to look orange and detail disappears in those "stunning blacks." 

As B&O owners, I think we all begin to take terrific performance for granted and that might have something to do with the lack of "wow" factor with the BV8-40. Once you get used to perfect color, perfect detail, and perfect motion, what's left? Maybe when the BeoVision 8-3D comes out we'll all get to experience our first love all over again!

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 12-29-2009 11:29 AM In reply to

Thanks to both of you

well I to have thought of plasma as a solotion, two problems however

1. a b&o plasma is very expensive and out of my reach

2. I have my 4 pentas as surround speakers, i would cry tears fore many days if i where to lose/sell them because of a non b&o plasma setup.

• 12-29-2009 11:56 AM In reply to

Admittedly it would mean buying used rather than new,but have you considered the Beovision 5?

A 2004 model would cost £3000.

• 12-29-2009 12:09 PM In reply to

Buy a second hand BV5 - one of the last ones - ridiculously cheap and although it does not have the 1080 screen, I have a feeling that it will offer you the picture you want. Still not completely convinced that I should not have done this myself!

• 12-29-2009 12:20 PM In reply to

• ed7
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-06-2007
    • uk
    • Posts 297
    • Bronze Member

The problem with b&o tv sets(lcd&plasma) they are dependent on obsolescent screens produced from other manufacturers,and it is ever changing technology,unlike analog crt technology which no one really want now as such,b&o produced excellent tv sets avants,bv3 series,the moral of the story is if you want a b&o tv  you buy a tv panel obsolescent  which you can pick up in currys,comet (every day stores) for fraction of the price ,b&o put their add-ons + trimmings  and sell it,that is why b&o never catch on with their wow reputation they had with avant,so if you want to contribute to their profit and share holders margin please buy an outdated tv for lots of money thank you for playing the game

• 12-29-2009 12:38 PM In reply to

• Neil
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-13-2009
    • UK
    • Posts 34
    • Gold Member

Soren,

I also have a problem coming to terms with the "LCD Blur" on motion, and if my Avant was to fail I do not know what I would replace it with. The fact that you still preferred your Beovision 3 in a side by side test with a Beovision 8-40 is not very encouraging since the latter is alleged to be as good as LCD gets at the moment. I too much pefer Plasma to LCD, but the choice is limited. My hope that B&O would make a smaller (and cheaper) Beovision 9 is, I fear, all but gone. A Plasma version of the Beovision 10 would be ideal!

Along with most manufactures, B&O seems to be concentrating on LCD, and to be fair the majority of people seem to be perfectly happy with the technology, but to those of us who find LCD somewhat irritating, and find it falls far short of the picture quality achievable with CRT, it is a major problem.

If you do decide on a Beovision 8 or 10, let us know how you you get on. It may be that after a while you don't notice the problems and can just enjoy the picture.

Best wishes,

Neil.

• 12-29-2009 1:30 PM In reply to

hi all

thanks fore your answers, i cant say that i am happy that you also see the problem, but i means that i am not alone in seeing these blurs on LCDs (my dealer did give me a funny look when i mentioned that as the reason fore not buying one). However i do find some comfort that i dont stand alone with this.

Peter - I am not sure that a used beovision 5 is the answer to me. it is a very nice looking TV but I use my TV to watch movies and i find blu ray very attractive and should i go to flat panels, full HD is a must fore me.

• 12-29-2009 1:47 PM In reply to

I should say that I am extremely happy with the picture on my BV10. It has the latest 200/240Hz LED screen from Samsung - I don't agree with the comment that B&O are always behind - they tend to use the best screen available and update them regularly. Obviously the technology is still moving fairly quickly but the picture on the BV10 seems as good as anything else I have seen from an LCD TV. I agree there are some artefacts but to be fair compared to my LX6000, the Avant has some digital artefacts as well! 

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)