in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 09-28-2007 8:09 AM by ScottMc. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-24-2007 7:54 AM

• ScottMc
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 06-12-2007
    • Ayrshire
    • Posts 37
    • Bronze Member

expanding my MCL link setup --- Now with the photos!

hi again,

After getting some great advice from you all on how to install my MCL 2A xtra speaker kit i managed to get everything working at the weekend. (will take some photos to show you all soon)

the install went really well and all the wires are hidden from view. I decided to go with flush fit non B&O ceiling speakers which are more agreeable with my girlfriend who wasn't keen on having big speakers in the bedroom. In fact she is so impressed that she has asked me to extend the system into the bathroom as well and whilst i'm at it i think i will do my study also.

Just need some advice on what to buy to complete the other rooms.

for the bathroom i am going to go for another MCL 2A unit and non B&O ceiling speakers - no problems there.

however for the study i would like to add a B&O MX television and an MCL2AV unit so i can connect an additional beogram CD4500 and an ipod through the tape connection. I would also like to run a pair of CX 50's off the television.

my questions are:

1) will the MCL2AV in the study allow me to use the additional cd player and ipod in other rooms? if so then how do i access this?

2) will the output on the television be enough to power the CX 50's or is there a better way of doing this?

3) can you suggest a suitable television to use that supports the above - i don't have a big budget so the cheaper the better!

4) i assume that the tv will act as the remote control eye for the system in the study so i won't need an aditional infra red reciever?

5) i am also assuming that when i link the mcl units together it is just a case of daisy chaining them and that no additional connectors are being used.

6) the current MCL2A unit in the bedroom is connected via the 2nd speaker socket on my Beocenter 8500 - will the beovision in the study (when i get one) connect via the "audio aux" output on the beocener and if so will this allow me to listen to the television in on the main system and in other rooms also?

sorry for all the questions - i am now quite excited about getting everything all linked.

ps if anyone has any of the equipment i require i'd be most interested in hearing from you!

• 09-24-2007 10:28 AM In reply to

Re: expanding my MCL link setup (sorry - more questions!)

I have a MCL2AV on ebay at the moment

Regards Graham

• 09-24-2007 10:45 AM In reply to

• ScottMc
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 06-12-2007
    • Ayrshire
    • Posts 37
    • Bronze Member

thanks Graham- you have PM
  • 09-24-2007 12:51 PM In reply to

• Kim.t
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 18
    • Bronze Member

1) no - local souce = local use only

2) yes

3) MX4000

4) correct if connected to the MCL2AV

5) correct

6) The beovision has to be connected to the MCL2AV box, but again It's a local source so you I doubt you can listen to the TV in other rooms unless it is connected direcly to the BM

BM7000,CD7000, MX4000, VX7000,2 BL5000, BL1000, 2 CX50, 2 Beocom 6000, Beocom 2500, Beocom 1600
  • 09-24-2007 1:37 PM In reply to

If the Beovision in the study is attached to the 8500 and this is the master, then you will be able to listen to TV channels on your system though out the house. I would suggest getting a reasonably up to date TV for the Study - an Avant DVD springs to mind as this will accept a set top box controller which can then be used all through the house as well. I have an LX6000 in my bedroom and can access the Sky+ box in the main room through my hybrid ML/MCL system. An LX would be very cheap these days! Better sound than any MX.
  • 09-24-2007 2:12 PM In reply to

• ScottMc
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 06-12-2007
    • Ayrshire
    • Posts 37
    • Bronze Member

thanks for your replies everyone. Yes the beovision will be connected directly to the 8500 through the aux socket (i think!). We do not have sky just the inbuilt DVT in a samsung plasma in the lounge.

think an Avant DVD will be out of my price range but i do quite fancy an MX 4000 or possibly if funds allow, a lower spec Avant.

shame about not being able to link the additional CD or tape unit but overall it should be a nice system!

here are the photos i promised of my work so far.....

• 09-24-2007 2:19 PM In reply to

• ScottMc
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 06-12-2007
    • Ayrshire
    • Posts 37
    • Bronze Member

thanks again everyone for all your help.

i tried to post up the images but the forum came up with an error and said an administrator would have to approve first?

• 09-24-2007 2:20 PM In reply to

• Mico
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-06-2007
    • Finland
    • Posts 136
    • Founder

2) MX4000 does not support your case, it needs to be a MX4002 - if you are satisfied with the MX design and tube size of 4002. From the CRT range my favourite is also the LX series both design- and audiowise. If you add an MCL2P that would add more flexibility and power to the system. I have had this kind of setup and would recommend the MCL2P.

6) This is complicated - yes and no. This way you get the audio routed to all rooms but you loose the control of your additional sources (cd and ipod). You need to add the transceiver and MCL2P to facilitate this. I have experience from this kind of setup but with MCL2A and therefore without additional sources.

In any cases remember that MCL2AV requires DC15V. You either need an power adapter or the MCL2P.

• 09-24-2007 3:14 PM In reply to

• ScottMc
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 06-12-2007
    • Ayrshire
    • Posts 37
    • Bronze Member

2nd attempt of photos 

• 09-24-2007 3:26 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Scott, is that an Infra Red Light Switch you have? If so does it work with your B&O remote?

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 09-24-2007 3:34 PM In reply to

• ScottMc
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 06-12-2007
    • Ayrshire
    • Posts 37
    • Bronze Member

hi Craig - yes its an infra red switch bud sadly no it doesn't work from the beolink 1000.

i use my non B&O tv remote to control it. It will learn most IR codes so its quite handy but i think the B&O frequency is outwith its range! i got it from B&Q, it was around £20 i think.

• 09-24-2007 3:38 PM In reply to

• Craig
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-29-2007
    • Costa Del St Evenage
    • Posts 4,855
    • Founder

Well, it was worth asking. Although I had a feeling what you reply would be. My Parents have one that looks similar. When they had it fitted I tried it with my Beo4. No luck though.

CraigSmile

For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen..

• 09-25-2007 3:36 AM In reply to

• Kim.t
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 18
    • Bronze Member

Mico:

2) MX4000 does not support your case, it needs to be a MX4002 - if you are satisfied with the MX design and tube size of 4002. From the CRT range my favourite is also the LX series both design- and audiowise. If you add an MCL2P that would add more flexibility and power to the system. I have had this kind of setup and would recommend the MCL2P.

You can connect a pair of CX50 directly to the MX4000 - it's passive speakers.

You can also listen to music from the main room in the study with a MX4000. If you have an Avant/Sky in the main room you can't operat it with a MX4000 - to that you need a MX4002 - read more here  http://www.beoworld.org/prod_details.asp?pid=635

BM7000,CD7000, MX4000, VX7000,2 BL5000, BL1000, 2 CX50, 2 Beocom 6000, Beocom 2500, Beocom 1600
  • 09-28-2007 8:09 AM In reply to

• ScottMc
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 06-12-2007
    • Ayrshire
    • Posts 37
    • Bronze Member

well guys - yesterday i managed to win an auction on ebay for an MX4000 (green cover, aparently - is this rare? I think i'd prefer black or white so i may change it). I got it very cheaply as it was listed badly. Unfortunately it will be a long drive to Nottingham to pick it up from home (i live near Glasgow).

The auction includes the motorised stand too (but this requires assembly) - i hope it includes a Beolink 1000 or Beo4 as this was not stated in the auction.

my only worry is that the person listing the television has zero feedback so i hope it doesnt turn out to be a con (we all have to start sometime i guess).

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=280155263796&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=018

item # 280155263796

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)