in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 12-14-2009 6:19 PM by beoaus. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-12-2009 11:30 AM

• Munin
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 99
    • Bronze Member

Hmm [^o)] [Surround & digital audio] >>> Beolab 5

UnsureI know this has been discussed several times, but things change and I would be very happy for some up-to-date info.

My current setup:

iMac (ctrl by iPhone) > Airport Exp. (analog out) > BS9000 (M-link) > BV 7-40 MkIII > (P-link) BL7-4+2BL5+2BL3

also (for viewing pictures, youtube, short films ...) Apple TV (HDMI) > BV 7-40 MkIII

This setup is all-analog but I'd like to have digital audio from BS9000 as well as from my Airport Express (AE).

How should I connect the BL5:s? Can both BS9000 and AE be connected simultaneously?

Will it be possible to control sound volume of the AE-signal?  Shall Powerlink connections be used as well? Will there be conflicts between the digital and the analog signals to the BL5:s? Does one signal have priority over the other? 

Would it be better to replace BS9000 with a BS5/BM5? There is some new audioproduct coming up - will that change anything? I've heard that the Master Link system will be replaced? With what? Will that improve any of this?

Why isn't there a digital audio output from the Beovision 7? I don't think even on the BV 7-55? Hope I'm wrong?

Or does "DTS Digital Surround" mean digital audio output??

I would very, very much appreciate a detailed discussion on this. Big Smile All comments on sound quality are of course also welcome.

/Munin

• 12-12-2009 12:46 PM In reply to

Re: Surround + digital audio for BL5 - please help!

I can answer only one of your questions. DTS Digital Surround does not mean digital audio output. DTS is a form of processing, just like Dolby. DVDs and BluRays will typically have the sound formatted in either Dolby or DTS or the high definition versions of Dolby or DTS. (BluRays also may have uncompressed PCM).

Beovision 7-55 with Beolab 7-4, 9s and 4000s

Beovision 10-40 with Beolab 1s and 6000s

Beosound 1, 5, 2000, and 3000

Beotime, Beotalk, Beocoms

• 12-14-2009 5:03 AM In reply to

• Munin
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 99
    • Bronze Member

Thanx Razlaw - this means that not even B&Os top of the line TV has digital audio output Sad

Still I'd like to have digital audio from my audio sources. Hope anyone out there can share

some knowhow on this.

/Munin

• 12-14-2009 6:19 PM In reply to

• beoaus
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 445
    • Founder

You can get a digital auto switcher like this one here...  Not sure how it links in with the config though. Are the BL5's connected via SPDIF to the BS9000?  If so maybe that link can be switched??

Good luck...

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)