in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 11-18-2009 6:30 PM by ed7. 14 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-13-2009 10:58 AM

sky hd

i am going to upgrade to skyhd ready for when i get my bv10, my question is i have sky already  do i need a new card or use my current card and just pay the extra for hd

malcolm

• 11-13-2009 11:26 AM In reply to

Re: sky hd

Can use the current card.   You could then ring up and pay the HD sub of £10/month if you wanted, but it's not compulsory.  BBC HD, C4 HD etc will still work as they're free to air.  Though if you're a sports fan, you'd be mad not to!

Unless you already have Sky+, you'll need a second feed to the box as well.

• 11-13-2009 12:36 PM In reply to

many thanks for your quick reply yes i know about the other feed  just wasnt sure about the card

many thaks

malcolm

• 11-13-2009 2:05 PM In reply to

Mine is being fitted this weekend! Smile

• 11-13-2009 4:50 PM In reply to

WOW FABULOUS - Please let me know what make you get given!

I'm sure you will have many hours of fun and enjoyment!

• 11-14-2009 4:51 AM In reply to

peter please let us know what you think if you would

many thanks

malcolm welborn

• 11-14-2009 7:44 AM In reply to

Please note that you do have to have the Sky HD box itself! You cannot simply swap cards in a non-HD (Sky, Sky+) box to get an HD picture!

Simon. 

• 11-15-2009 5:20 AM In reply to

hi simon yes know i need hd box, my querry was are you issued with a new card with the hd box, or do use your existing one

many thanks

malcolm welborn

• 11-15-2009 6:49 AM In reply to

All fitted - very nice chap called Dennis arrived just after 8. Replaced the dish as it was getting on a bit! Have the HD box working through the Avant for the moment and the Sky+ through the AV9000 - both working with a Beo4. The BV10 will go in the place of the Avant and the AV9000 will go upstairs with the Avant moving into the playroom ( had to think what to call this room as it is a study/family room/dog room and anything else that it needs to be!!)

The same cards are used but the box is programmed to work with the card and undergoes an upgrade on line. Dennis did a lovely job, using one cable with two cores so no more holes needed to be drilled.

HD looks much the same on an Avant as SD if truth be known but I wouldn't expect much different! Have a spare Panasonic Sky box now! The Sky HD is a Samsung one - the sort I had wanted  - and is made in Slovakia. Uses the same codes as the Sky+ so I didn't have to change the STB settings.

No HDMI lead at present - will need quite a long one though!

• 11-15-2009 12:05 PM In reply to

Hi Peter

WOW WOW WOW you have an awesome range of B&O televisions there! Do you have my favourite BeoLab 6000s?

Congratulations on getting the Samsung SKY+ HD box - it's an excellent excellent box. I'm sure you will enjoy it very much. As for HDMI cables, I myself always use QED they are excellent and not too expensive at around £40. They are also available in my different lengths.

Paul

• 11-15-2009 1:41 PM In reply to

You could buy a reasonably well built cable for under a fiver, though.  A bit more if you want something of any length.

As it's digital, cable quality is going to make next to no difference.

• 11-15-2009 1:52 PM In reply to

Maybe, but when you are going to spend £7000 for a television, I really think it makes sense to spend a little more for a quality lead that will last a long as the television itself!

• 11-18-2009 4:07 PM In reply to

Paul Winn:

Maybe, but when you are going to spend £7000 for a television, I really think it makes sense to spend a little more for a quality lead that will last a long as the television itself!

Agreed. I spent £200 for each HDMI cable I use, which is 3 at the moment. Probably more than I needed to but I am not going to use cheap leads with an expensive set-up, just doesn't seem logical to me.

• 11-18-2009 6:04 PM In reply to

Each to their own.  There's a lot of believers/non believers around speaker cable and interconnects in Hi-Fi, but HDMI is digital - it's 1s and 0s.  You wouldn't spend lots of money on a network patch cable to connect your computer to a router. Over short distances, it will either work or it won't.  Anything inbetween, and you'll clearly see the glitches.

Provided the cable is up to spec and doesn't fall to pieces, any cable will give the same result as another.

• 11-18-2009 6:30 PM In reply to

• ed7
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-06-2007
    • uk
    • Posts 297
    • Bronze Member

csmager:

Each to their own.  There's a lot of believers/non believers around speaker cable and interconnects in Hi-Fi, but HDMI is digital - it's 1s and 0s.  You wouldn't spend lots of money on a network patch cable to connect your computer to a router. Over short distances, it will either work or it won't.  Anything inbetween, and you'll clearly see the glitches.

Provided the cable is up to spec and doesn't fall to pieces, any cable will give the same result as another.

I totally agree when i had my avant i used a cheap scart to start with then i bought expensive one ,the cheap one gave me a better resultErm

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)